Ruptured Finger Pulley - No Guitar for 2-3 Months!!

Warrior

Power User
I just came from an early am doctor's appointment for my finger. I ruptured a finger pulley Sunday lifting a safe! It’s a common injury amongst rock climbers. It looks as if no surgery is needed but I can’t lift anything heavy or play guitar for 2-3 months!!

This article explains it well. Mine appears to be the “A2” only.

https://theclimbingdoctor.com/pulley-injuries-explained-part-1/

I have to wear this splint that looks like a ring on the injured finger for that time! My wife said…. “you should wait for Austin (my son) to help with that”.

Like most (all?) things in life….. I should have listened to the wife.

Perhaps it's time to learn how to play slide.

Sad to hear this from a fellow guitarist. I'm sure I speak for all when I say we'll be pleased to hear later that you've recovered.
If it were me I would look into a diet and supplements for the support of connective tissue injuries.

I had this injury when I tried for a hold and all but one finger slipped. I should have just let go but I tried to hold on. It only took a few weeks to get through though so you might be surprised.

Sad to hear this from a fellow guitarist. I'm sure I speak for all when I say we'll be pleased to hear later that you've recovered.
If it were me I would look into a diet and supplements for the support of connective tissue injuries.

Thanks, M@. I greatly appreciated the well wishes.
I will certainly be looking into diet and supp's.

I had this injury when I tried for a hold and all but one finger slipped. I should have just let go but I tried to hold on. It only took a few weeks to get through though so you might be surprised.

Appreciate it. I hope so. My follow up apt with the surgeon is in 2 months. Hopefully, that's overkill.

As a fellow climber and guitarist, I know your pain. I've battled left wrist problems for years since a TFCC injury. If I keep up with wrist exercises/stretches, I mostly keep it in check, but I can't play for hours at a time like I used to. I have to take more frequent breaks. I also had a trigger finger on my pinky on the same hand. It definitely sucks when one hobby takes out another. The guitar is what I always used for downtime from dirt bike injuries, etc. I hope you heal quick. Listen to the doctors and don't injure it worse by trying to do things too soon.

Too bad about your finger, but have you tried having kids? I swear..nothing destroys your spare time more (for guitar or other stuff). Since my second little bastard arrived, I have almost lost all creative energy as well as my chops. I'm just collapsing on the couch a few hours after their bedtime before having to go to bed myself. New day, repeat. Weekends and holidays no different. I keep the interest alive by craving/buying new gear that I haven't got the time to use, and watching youtubers with amazing talent, time and creativity.

Ouch. Hope it heals quickly and completely.

As far as what Matt mentioned on diet and supplements, there are a lot of things that may help. I got started taking collagen regularly nearly a yeqr ago and it helps with joint tissues and many other things.

Not sure if it would help with your injury, but I've had a few prolotherapy treatments for my hip. It was way too late to save my left hip, but it helped to rebuild enough to make the last several months before I got it replaced a lot less painful and helped me with mobility as well. I've had one treatment on my right hip and pretty sure it will help me keep thay one, as it has only mild arthritis compared to the other one. I believe it can help with certain joint injuries as well if you can find someone for a consultation.

Sorry to hear this. A little over a year ago, I suffered a mallet finger on my left middle finger. I was in a splint for 10 weeks and then went through a lengthy recovery with physical therapy for a couple more months. I finally got back to playing, but it was difficult to go through. The guys in my band let me play a lot of one handed synth so I could at least continue to contribute while I went through my recovery.

I hope your recovery is a smooth one and takes a lot less time. Sounds like you will be back at it in no time at all. Here’s wishing you a speedy recovery. Meanwhile, get ahold of a Yamaha synthesizer (or whatever your favorite brand is) and make some music! :musickeyboard: :cool:

This sucks big time. I've broken both my pinky fingers on separate occasions, and not being able to play for weeks on end was torture. Especially on the left hand, because when my right pinky was broken I could still pick with a thumb pick. Best wishes and speedy recovery!

Sorry to hear. 2-3 months is rough.

I've been dealing with a partially numb/tingling right thumb and index finger for a few weeks. Not sure what set it off but the doc first said carpal tunnel which didn't make any sense because there's really not much pain at all. After getting some work done on my hand/arm/should/neck by a LMT and seeing some improvement pretty quickly the doc backed off the carpal tunnel talk and said continue with the therapy. Looks like a nerve thing. Hopefully it clears up soon. I've been limiting my guitar and computer time because of it.

Too bad about your finger, but have you tried having kids? I swear..nothing destroys your spare time more (for guitar or other stuff). Since my second little bastard arrived, I have almost lost all creative energy as well as my chops. I'm just collapsing on the couch a few hours after their bedtime before having to go to bed myself. New day, repeat. Weekends and holidays no different. I keep the interest alive by craving/buying new gear that I haven't got the time to use, and watching youtubers with amazing talent, time and creativity.

Rookie!! LOL
I've got a 34 yr old, a 22 yr old and 2 grandkids 11 & 12. You ain't seen NOTHIN' yet!!
Hang on tight!!

Lots of wonderful comments here.... I appreciate it immensely.
I've had my share of injuries and recovered - I'll do the same with this one.

1985 I cut 2 tendons and 90% of the nerves on my left (fretting) hand.
Doctors said I would never play guitar again. It was a long road but here I am.

1987 Cut the tip of my right-hand index finger almost off on a brake press machine. Right through the bone. They sewed it back on and I recovered.

Around 2003 I cut 80% through the tip of my left ring finger on a table saw. 1/2 way through the bone.

Yep, recovered.

Bad luck or stupid - not sure. But I'll never stop playing the guitar!!

Back
Top Bottom