Running Two Guitars

Tom W

Hi there,

I'm guessing this has been covered previously, but I could not find anything that spoke to my question specifically. I am not a fractal owner, but I am looking to become one. From what I can tell, it appears you can run two separate guitars simultaneously on separate paths in the Axe-FX III. I am wondering what flexibility there is to manage the two paths separately in a live setting -- turning effects on/off, solo boost, changing presets, etc. For example, can two separate foot controllers be utilized? Would you effectively have to manage this via scenes/layouts? I hope this question makes sense.

Thanks for the insights.

Check out the Leon Todd video from last week (link below). He covers this topic in detail.
His Fractal videos are great. Subscribe!

Last edited:
From what I can tell, it appears you can run two separate guitars simultaneously on separate paths in the Axe-FX III. I am wondering what flexibility there is to manage the two paths separately in a live setting -- turning effects on/off, solo boost, changing presets, etc. For example, can two separate foot controllers be utilized?

You can run 4.

Two amps though so it would be 1 acoustic, 1 bass and 2 electrics with amps.

I personally have and do run an electric and acoustic P245 using two paths. I can play them at the same time or independently.

In order to run two electrics with two separate paths you would setup input 1 and input 2 lets say. Place the effects etc. in the path and go out output 1 and output 2. You could setup 2 controllers to control each persons effects/stomps. Using scenes would get tricky but could work you would just have to plan it out.

while on this topic, can anyone give tips on the best way to run 2 guitars both through out 1 but panned left and right? mixer block?
Cheers

Input 1 > path 1 > (Settings adjusted throughout blocks to right) > Out 1 (Right)
Input 2 > Path 2 > (Settings adjusted throughout blocks to left) > Out 1 (Left)

I would start with this.

I don't play live but had a friend coming over to jam so I set up a preset with 2 rigs in it, one input 1 and one input 2 and then set up my FC-12 so the right 6 of the pedals were his and the left 6 mine. 2 FCs would be easier but it worked great. I ended up setting it up so we didn't have to switch scenes to lead boost, turn on drives, delays etc. Initially it took me a few hours to "get" the way the FC works but now it is so easy and you can do almost anything with a little basic knowledge. I'd never used controllers before and I got it right away.

My rhythm guitarist sold his AX8 and is waiting for the FM3 so I ran him through the III our last gig. He had a 4 button switch connected to my FC that gave him amp channels, drive, and rotary. It worked great. I did more foot tapping because I didn't want to mess with scenes in this scenario.

Input 1 > path 1 > (Settings adjusted throughout blocks to right) > Out 1 (Right)
Input 2 > Path 2 > (Settings adjusted throughout blocks to left) > Out 1 (Left)

I would start with this.

Input 2 on a Fractal Ax3 is an XLR connection, no? Could you use Input 3 or 4 and plug in directly instead?

Back
Top Bottom