Running the Axe-Fx III 24/7?

mr.robot1

Hi all.

I bought an Axe-FX III a few months ago and I'll be honest, I've only turned it off a handful of times. I mostly leave it running all day and all night whether I'm using it or not.

Does anyone have some knowledge about just leaving it running 24/7? Is this bad for the unit? I love it to death, but I also would like it to last me a long time, so I need to understand if it's ok to just leave it on all the time.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I bought an Axe-FX III a few months ago and I'll be honest, I've only turned it off a handful of times. I mostly leave it running all day and all night whether I'm using it or not.

Does anyone have some knowledge about just leaving it running 24/7? Is this bad for the unit? I love it to death, but I also would like it to last me a long time, so I need to understand if it's ok to just leave it on all the time.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

As I understand it, Cliff leaves his on 24/7.

There is a fan running constantly which means dust will keep accumulating inside the unit. Also the fan is not everlasting, it will probably start making noise after enough running hours.

Cliff is comfortable with opening the unit and replacing the fan and worn out components if the need arises after x number of years. You may be as well, but most probably aren't.

There is a fan running constantly which means dust will keep accumulating inside the unit. Also the fan is not everlasting, it will probably start making noise after enough running hours.

Cliff is comfortable with opening the unit and replacing the fan and worn out components if the need arises after x number of years. You may be as well, but most probably aren't.

This makes perfect sense, dust accumulating over time. Good info. I wouldn't have an issue replacing a fan if need be. It would likely take several years for a fan to fail from what I'm hearing, so that's good to know.

The fan only runs when needed. Mine rarely turns on in the colder months.

Right on. I'm not hearing that the unit will melt or something if it's on 24/7, so I feel better about leaving it all the time. Mine is strictly indoors in a clean / cool space so I think it will be fine. Your help is much appreciated. Thanks!

and when you prepare to start working-power cycle! Nothing worse than jumping on the Axe and loosing all your work because the unit was running for weeks and needed a reboot.

Only thing to be mindful of is lightning storms which can damage equipment. It's for this reason only that I turn mine off when I leave home. Of course that depends on your local climate.
Mine was off.

The real issue was the lack of surge suppression. My computer was 5 feet away and running, connected via USB cable to the Axe, but had no issues, as the computer was on a surge suppressor.

I have two big 8-outlet TrippLite 3840 Joule surge suppressor strips now. Everything is plugged into them, including the nice sinewave output UPS the computer is plugged into....

Mine runs all the time as well. Curious if upgrading to a newer factory fan would allow it to only run when needed or is there more to it than that?

Mine runs all the time as well. Curious if upgrading to a newer factory fan would allow it to only run when needed or is there more to it than that?

I asked about this at the time the fans were updated and was told that it was not something that could be done on older units.

Danny W.

I have two questions:

1. Is there a downside to turning it off after you're done playing? I'd imagine leaving it on all the time would shorten the lifespan of the Axe FX right?

2. Unrelated to the topic, but didn't want to create a new thread justfor this.. When you buy a new Axe FX3, is the USB cable included? I've seen some un boxing on youtube but dont see the USB cable. just planing ahead for when I buy mine soon..

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom