Running stereo?

markus

Inspired
Hey everyone. I've always setup my patches mono, as I only ever had a mono monitor setup and found that doing a sum L+R on stereo patches introduced phasing issues.
I'm looking for the best way to edit patches to make them stereo. Ideally, I'd like to run a dual amp setup and have each panned hard to left and right sides. However, I also want effects in-line as well. For example, say I had a dual amp setup running into a stereo delay. Do I need to hard pan each output of the amp/cabinet before it gets to the delay, or do I just pan the delay? Or, can it all be done at the very output? I imagine there is no 'correct' way and several ways to do it, I guess I'm just looking for the most 'practical' way, if you will.

I'm amazed at how little I've explored this unit....having had it since last December, I literally know nothing about it! :oops:

Thanks for any help,

Mark

i run a dual amp setup. i pan each of the amps and in the output you can pan each of the "lines" as well. i have one amp going to the left and one to the right, into a stereo power amp(mesa strategy 400) and into a different cab each. then once you've got that you can "tune" each amp to the cab you're going to use. it's awesome.

1. Ran to amp/speakers mono. Liked it. :)

2. Ran stereo to amp/speakers. Loved it. :D

3. Ran mono to mono ( one amp/two speakers+sub) pa
(have mine set up in my practice area-
one 12"/horn per side + aux sent sub. Very good but no cigar.

4. Ran stereo to same pa but now in stereo (one amp per speaker+sub) pa.
Loved it,Most Excellent actually. :D :eek: :D

Bottom Line:

(IMO) The sound of mono effects can't begin
to compare with the sound/power of effects in stereo, IMO.
I soon found this out by A/Bing the sound mono vs stereo and
deciding to NEVER play again in mono if I had a choice in the matter.

Huge Hint: Some of My patches were okay in stereo
but some of the patches I downloaded
on axe-exchange opened my eyes as to what a patch
Could/Should sound like.

Verdict: Others can make much better patches than I can,
and they are kind/vain/generous enough to post and share !
:twisted:

YMMV but hey, give stereo on yours and others a shot,
go through Many patches to hear the options, you may find
the Diamond in the Rough, Needle in the Haystack, etc ad nauseam.

Cheers,
Joel in Sarasota, Florida

Good topic I was actually about to post on myself.

I've run mono and can now run stereo into our house PA (church I play ever service at) as well as get a stereo feed into my IEMs. Also interested in the best way to approach this. Don't want to derail or interefere with the OP's questions but I intend on keeping my signal single amp but I use dual cabs so maybe i'm on to something as I post this....... :idea:

Either way I'm really wanting to capitalize on the stereo delays, big but not overpowering reverbs and a nice wide chorus sound.. Beyond that I haven't begun to fathom. :eek:

I only use 1 amp but stereo fx going into the effects return of 2 tech 21 trademark 60's. I am telling you my sound is huge.
I may try the 2 amp thang 1 day. I used to use it on the Vetta. BTW I really like the tech 21 stuff,Got just about everything they make and it is Fat.
Terry

Okay.. Small update. Tonight we had rehearsal for the Easter Service in the morning. Our sound system installer was in so we started talking about running my guitar in stereo (slight reprogramming/routing adjustments on the digital console which I'm only just getting into.) and before I knew it he said I was ready to go.

He had Guitar L/R channels panned hard each direction so I went up and made sure my outputs were correctly set. I changed my delays to ping pong (quick setup. I'll adjust them later for the 500ms L 1000ms R tap tempo stuff I think I want it set as) and Oh My Sweet Lord this thing sounded so HUGE in my IEMs. I couldn't help but smile all night long even more so than the first time I used the Axe for a service.

Needless to say if I have the option I will never run mono again. Stereo is a HUGE improvement. Started sounding even more like a recorded sound than ever. Its unbelievable.

Back
Top Bottom