Running Stereo MP3 Songs/Backing Tracks Trough AXE To Jam Over Late At Night

smcrosby

Power User
I often practice late at night and would like to blend both the guitar and the playback of stereo mp3s files from my MacBook Pro or iPhone into the AXE and monitor the blended output through the AXE's headphone jack.

But, I don't hear anything if I feed the mps through Input 2 and I don't want the mp3 signal to pass through the Input 1 signal chain of my presets and be altered by effects I will be turning on and off.

Is there practical routing solution?

If so what is the best practice?

If not I will feed the mp3s through my CLR, but I would like to spare my poor wife from my God aweful playing in the wee hours of the morning. :)

Hook up the Axe via USB.
Power up the Axe, select a preset.
Plug your phones into the Axe headphone jack...
Start up iTunes (or other player).
Press play..
Jam.

That's what I've been doing for yrs on my PC.. not Mac.. tho's I'm sure principle is the close.
I often have AE running so I can change presets with the mouse.

Nice!

I must have something set wrong because that's not working for me and I always have the USB hooked up running Axe Edit.

Maybe something to do with Garage Band/Mac Book settings or I/O parameters in the AXE?

Remember that your global sound card setting in Preferences are only applicable to things like system audio (iTunes, FaceTime etc) in Logic, Garageband, Pro Tools etc, you have to select the right I/O settings for whatever interface that you use. I use a UAD Apollo with Thunderbolt and a M-Audio 2626 Firewire. I can have my inputs shared between the two using an aggregate device in Utilities----->Audio MIDI Setup and only have one sound card for my monitor outputs. If you need any help, you can always FaceTime me and i'll talk you through it.

Thanks guys!

I am invited to a classic rock jam session this Sunday night that includes another invitee (a great jazz keyboard player/producer/manager/friend of mine) who recently emailed me that he wanted to start a jazz fusion band with me and that he loves tunes from old Jeff Beck Wired album. Me too!

So I want to relearn tunes like Led Boots, Play With Me and Blue Wind tomorrow night and knock his socks off Sunday with FW 13 and UltraRes (he has never heard the AXE before).

Wish me luck! :encouragement:

Thanks guys!

I am invited to a classic rock jam session this Sunday night that includes another invitee (a great jazz keyboard player/producer/manager/friend of mine) who recently emailed me that he wanted to start a jazz fusion band with me and that he loves tunes from old Jeff Beck Wired album. Me too!

So I want to relearn tunes like Led Boots, Play With Me and Blue Wind tomorrow night and knock his socks off Sunday with FW 13 and UltraRes (he has never heard the AXE before).

Wish me luck! :encouragement:

Good luck, loves me some Blow by Blow and Wired...

Remember that your global sound card setting in Preferences are only applicable to things like system audio (iTunes, FaceTime etc) in Logic, Garageband, Pro Tools etc, you have to select the right I/O settings for whatever interface that you use. I use a UAD Apollo with Thunderbolt and a M-Audio 2626 Firewire. I can have my inputs shared between the two using an aggregate device in Utilities----->Audio MIDI Setup and only have one sound card for my monitor outputs. If you need any help, you can always FaceTime me and i'll talk you through it.

I will take you up on this Sir!

Aside: not sure if this is relevant, but one limitation I am facing is that I am stuck with OS X 10.7.5 Lion with no option to upgrade to Mavericks and install Apple's new audio driver with the bug fix I keep reading about on the Forum. I did start having issues with Garage Band all of a sudden - recording of the AXE comes out choppy, chattery and staticy after never having issues with Garage Band before say a week or so ago.

After the XL ... its time to get a new laptop!

Back
Top Bottom