Running out of Power Plugs

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I'm running out of power plugs on my power conditioner, and I need just 2 or 3 more for my rack. Is there a small lightweight surge protector that I can put in my rack to add some more?

What do you recommend? Something that can be 3M mounted on the rack wall?

Thanks!

Yeah you can use splitters or just daisy chain a cheap little power strip in there for the extras. It's still going through the power conditioner so it's still well protected. Just remember those extra sockets will not be isolated from each other so ground loops could possibly show up.

Yeah you can use splitters or just daisy chain a cheap little power strip in there for the extras. It's still going through the power conditioner so it's still well protected. Just remember those extra sockets will not be isolated from each other so ground loops could possibly show up.

Isolated sockets: you bring up a good point.

Are there power strips out there that make the outputs isolated?

Assuming your conditioner already provides surge protection you would want a power strip and not surge protector. It's my understanding daisy chaining surge protectors actually defeats some of the protection.

Assuming your conditioner already provides surge protection you would want a power strip and not surge protector. It's my understanding daisy chaining surge protectors actually defeats some of the protection.

Ok, but what about a power strip with isolated outlets? Any recommendations?

Outlets on a power conditionner are not isolated between each other. For galvanic isolation you'd need additional power transformers. The power conditionner would become too big, too heavy and too expensive and would not provide additional surge protection BTW.
A surge protection is "almost "nothing more than a metal oxide varistor that will shortcircuit in case of overvoltage/transients (cf http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/varistor.html). Use a simple cheapo power strip as suggested hereabove, with a connection cable as short as possible.

Unless this is an emergency or you're totally broke, you might want to rethink your rack and power plan. Might be time to upgrade. The term is "stuffing three pounds of sh!t into a one pound bag".

Unless this is an emergency or you're totally broke, you might want to rethink your rack and power plan. Might be time to upgrade. The term is "stuffing three pounds of sh!t into a one pound bag".

Thanks, but this is a home rack with all the extras. Upgrade to what? I'm using a Furman PL-8 II.

Guys,

I'm running out of power plugs on my power conditioner, and I need just 2 or 3 more for my rack.
I'm confused. An axefx rig only requires two plugs: AxeFX, Power amp, what are you plugging into that thing? lamps and sh*t? :D

Outlets on a power conditionner are not isolated between each other. For galvanic isolation you'd need additional power transformers. The power conditionner would become too big, too heavy and too expensive and would not provide additional surge protection BTW.
A surge protection is "almost "nothing more than a metal oxide varistor that will shortcircuit in case of overvoltage/transients (cf http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/resistor/varistor.html). Use a simple cheapo power strip as suggested hereabove, with a connection cable as short as possible.

Some do have isolated plugs. Tripp-Lite Isobar units are split into to two isolated groups of plugs so you can move more sensitive gear to the isolated side. Mine has 6 black + 2 on the front and 4 white outlets. The white outlets are the isolated and further filtered ones.

Back
Top Bottom