Running FRFR direct to FOH and 4cm to guitar amp on stage is it possible?

Rocky Gallo

Inspired
Is it possible to run signal frfr direct signal to FOH and than use the 4CM to an guitar amp head and cabinet on stage. I have read the manual and see that you can run direct to FOH and to a power amp on stage... is there a way to do both from the axe3? Can you split the send from "input 1" to 2 different signal paths one with amp and cab simms routed to "output 1" to FOH, second chain without amp and cab to a routed to a different output?

In a word, yes.

4CM using input Gtr -> Input 1 -> Pre effects (drives etc) -> Out 3-> Amp input -> Amp FX Send -> input 3 -> Time based Effects -> Split here ->

Output 4 would go to amp FX Return for cabinet on stage
Out 1 would have a split in the shunt and a cabinet block at the end before sending to output 1 Block

You'll definitely need humbuster cables and make sure you have things well grounded and powered correctly or you may run into ground loop issues.

I have question, and do not want to start a thread over it. Its seems silly, but here goes. If I run in mono could I not send the right side of out 1 to FOH , of course I would be in left side of out 1? I've wondered why not do this instead of using out 2? Any help is appreciated I figure this is ok as we are talking about routing.

Last edited:
Yes, you could. However, if you use Out1 for FoH and Out2 for your monitor, then you can use the Out2 volume knob on the front of the AxeFX to turn your FRFR monitor volume up. I can do it whilst playing. If I have to turn up the floor monitor itself I have to kneel down and put my hand around the back.

The second benefit is that you can run a very different signal to your monitor. Without CAB if you’re using an external power amp and guitar speaker. With different reverb settings, for example if the FOH engineer wants no reverb on your signal because the room echos like a cathedral.

Yes, you could. However, if you use Out1 for FoH and Out2 for your monitor, then you can use the Out2 volume knob on the front of the AxeFX to turn your FRFR monitor volume up. I can do it whilst playing. If I have to turn up the floor monitor itself I have to kneel down and put my hand around the back.

The second benefit is that you can run a very different signal to your monitor. Without CAB if you’re using an external power amp and guitar speaker. With different reverb settings, for example if the FOH engineer wants no reverb on your signal because the room echos like a cathedral.
Thank you for the clarification and valued suggestions. That makes more sense, really I do have concerns of wanting to hear exactly what's out front. Seems like a better idea as you mentioned. Thanks for the help, Cheers

In a word, yes.

4CM using input Gtr -> Input 1 -> Pre effects (drives etc) -> Out 3-> Amp input -> Amp FX Send -> input 3 -> Time based Effects -> Split here ->

Output 4 would go to amp FX Return for cabinet on stage
Out 1 would have a split in the shunt and a cabinet block at the end before sending to output 1 Block

You'll definitely need humbuster cables and make sure you have things well grounded and powered correctly or you may run into ground loop issues.
I THINK you answered something I've been wondering. If I understand this correctly, you're splitting off the effects send of the amp at the end of the effects chain so that one output goes back to the amp's return and the other out would have a cab block so that you can send a signal direct to FOH. Right? Is this doable with a FM9? I don't think it can be done with the FM3.

I do this but not 4cable method I just connect amp send to in3 fm9 and out3 fm9 to return of amp BUT before out3 in fractal signal path I split off and goto into cab block that is connected to out1 of fm9. I select a cab that’s sonically similar as possible to the real cab my amp is connected to. This way foh sees a signal very sonically similar to the cab onstage.

Attachments

• 6B5FE8F7-767E-4E52-9C06-F4A36D91552C.jpeg
    6B5FE8F7-767E-4E52-9C06-F4A36D91552C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
Is this at all possible with the Axe FX II? Or do I need to upgrade to the III.

Im looking to have an output for FOH, IEM and an output for Amps/Cabs on stage with pre and post fx.

Back
Top Bottom