Running Cab/Poweramp Sim through a Tube Amp?

Hey everyone, I was just curious and wanted to ask if anyone runs their Ultra through a tube amp with the amp and cab sims on.

I have a Line 6 HD100 head running through the matching cabinet with 4x12 Vintage 30's. When I got the Ultra a month ago I was told to turn the sims off, and I did. The result: It sounded like a pile of poo. With the sims on it sounds great. I run the Ultra into the poweramp in jack, so I don't know if that has something to do with 'not' coloring the tone.

Loads of thread like this, do a search.
Even if I run thru a tube poweramp, I like the sound with the PA sims on. If I run thru a real cab, cab sims must be off. They sound nice at low volumes if you leave the sims on, but get muddy and muffled when you turn up. Lots of info out that already.

I remember running my Axe-FX through my teacher's Princeton Reverb and it sounded spectacular, but I'd keep the sims off. You don't want the Axe-FX competing with your amp's individual character.

When I run it at higher volumes, it sounds very tube like with the poweramp sims off, but even with the cab sims off it sounds very fuzzy and unpleasant. Maybe I'm supposed to just run it with the cab sims on for my particular setup, but at the moment I'm looking in completely redoing my rig. At this time I might just follow the FRFR band wagon and run the Axe FX through a ART SLA 2 into two passive Atomic Reactors.

There's another $900+ down the tube. :/ Oh well, I just want to take full advantage of my Axe-FX.

Ultimately I think your ears should be the final judge. If it sounds great to you, yet it goes against "the rules", then don't let that stop you from following your gut.

Reactions: jon
+1 on Ben's comment. If it sounds good, use it. I dare say many now iconic tones were created doing it "wrong." :D

Reactions: jon
I run my Ultra through a Mesa 2:90. Since I'm not going to get anywhere near powertube breakup even at gig volume, I run the power amp sims on with no thump. I don't have the cab sims on though.

Back
Top Bottom