Running Backline

p8thfind3r

I'm sure this has been addressed, if so, can anyone direct me to the proper thread?

But my question is, if we are given backline for fly-dates, is it possible to run the Axe FX into the front of the amp for drives and compression and then run the time-based effects into the fx-loop of the backline amp? If so, how do you set up your digital signal and your physical signal to make this work?

Thanks in advanced!

This is the infamous 4CM - the 4 Cable Method.

I think it's in the manual, but you should be able to find help here in other threads.

I'm sure this has been addressed, if so, can anyone direct me to the proper thread?

But my question is, if we are given backline for fly-dates, is it possible to run the Axe FX into the front of the amp for drives and compression and then run the time-based effects into the fx-loop of the backline amp? If so, how do you set up your digital signal and your physical signal to make this work?

Thanks in advanced!
You’d be using the provided Amp as the primary tone and gain, right?

You’d be using the provided Amp as the primary tone and gain, right?

Tone yea, gain - not necessarily... i think it’s a fender twin. I was hoping to run a compressor and drive block or two that would hit the front of the amp, then run a delay, and reverb in the fx loop

Tone yea, gain - not necessarily... i think it’s a fender twin. I was hoping to run a compressor and drive block or two that would hit the front of the amp, then run a delay, and reverb in the fx loop
if you're not getting your gain/distortion from the amp, you might consider trying everything just through the front of the amp. it simplifies things and will probably sound very similar since no gain from the amp is breaking up the delays and reverb.

4CM is great, but sometimes difficult to balance levels especially if you're not familiar with the amp you may be getting.

if you're not getting your gain/distortion from the amp, you might consider trying everything just through the front of the amp. it simplifies things and will probably sound very similar since no gain from the amp is breaking up the delays and reverb.

4CM is great, but sometimes difficult to balance levels especially if you're not familiar with the amp you may be getting.
Twins have a lot of headroom so this should work. Depending how many patches you use, you might wanna make up two of each. One to go in the front end and one for the 4CM. Then at soundcheck you can try the 4CM and if it gives you trouble you can just go in the front.

For what it’s worth.... I do almost all fly dates and I’m at the mercy of backline. Honestly, if they have decent monitors I will go direct and do my best to always skip using the twin or whatever else they have provided. It has made my gigging life soooo much easier , and every foh guy always compliments my tone and how simple it made his job! But... everyone is different. Good luck in the path you choose to go down.

For what it’s worth.... I do almost all fly dates and I’m at the mercy of backline. Honestly, if they have decent monitors I will go direct and do my best to always skip using the twin or whatever else they have provided. It has made my gigging life soooo much easier , and every foh guy always compliments my tone and how simple it made his job! But... everyone is different. Good luck in the path you choose to go down.

That!

When you have to use the local backline you're always at the mercy of what's available. Since you can go direct with the Axe, why make yourself hostage to what's available local when you can always have your own sound? Just because you crave that little extra from using tubes? 99% of your audience won't notice it, they're too busy listening to the singer anyway. When you have your own amp 4CM kinda makes sense, for flyover, where logistics is king, just eliminate the amp and go direct when possible. Life should be made easier, not more complicated.

So it has nothing to do with craving tubes - I’ve never had tube. My problem was either no stage volume or a sound guy who doesn’t know what they are doing when they see the Axe Fx.

But for an update, I ran the Axe FX intro the front of a Fender twin - reverb and delays and all - and it worked like a charm. I think I’ll be using this method for when I don’t bring my speakers for stage volume and there is already an amp being provided.

Ultimately, I’d buy either a small fly-rig or an FX-8 for these scenarios, but as of now, running the Axe straight into backline will work. Thanks for the help all!

Back
Top Bottom