Running Axe fully "Mono" in to "1 x (Mono) CLR ...... are my settings right ?

ben ifin

Experienced
Hey all

Quite simple question.

Im running 1.06 on my Axe 2 MK 2

My I/O settings are as follows:-

-> Guitar physically plugged in to front of Axe
-> Output 1 " L " 1/4 Jack goes to CLR via hi quality standard guitar cable

Then on the Axe

-> Main Input Source = Analog In 1
-> Input 1 Left Select = Front
-> Input 1 at %31 = no red clipping but good strong level
-> Bypass Mode = Mute
-> Output 1 Mode = L+R Sum

=> the one I'm confused about is Output 1 Mode = L+R Sum as there is no L only or R only or Mono setting to chose ?

=> should I be using " Copy L to R " instead ? and go out via the R 1/4 jack ?

=> give I am running "full mono" should the "Amp" Block Balance be on 0 [12.00] or fully L [-100] or fully R [+100] depending on which Output 1 1/4 jack Im using ?

Thanks,
Ben

"L+R Sum" and "Copy L to R" are both mono modes.
The difference is explained in the manual.
There's no mode called "Mono".

When using "Copy L > R", the signal from L is the same as from R. So you can use either.

When using a mono output mode, there's no need to adjust the amp's balance.

Check your reverb width, rotary width, and any phase reversal switches, common in delays, when you run L+R.

I switched to leave the output mode stereo and just run one side, L, with no special adjustments to the amp or efx settings.

I am careful not to use ping pong or other L to R panning efx. But that's it. I don't have to worry about mono summing.

Personally I leave my output set to Stereo then just use one output/side when I need to run mono. This avoids phase cancellation and I don't need to change settings back and forth for a stereo rig. Only thing is that any extreme panning effects or hard panned tones will not sound correct, as that other side is fully missing. But I'd rather know what won't be there instead of being surprised by phase issues.

I often run mono using OUT2, using Sum L+R. So I made it a habit of checking my presets for phase cancellation.

Back
Top Bottom