Running an Entire Band Off One Axe-Fx III

He's got a Dug Pinnick Head that sounds great, and he could run that, or he could just run off his GT1000, but he chooses to use all of it....all at once.

Makes no sense to me 😂
Well at least it seems like I pegged his tone from your post. 🤘 I'm waiting for a FM3, but when I travel light, I use my Tech 21 DP-3X. It's basically a small pedal version of his head. It also has a tuner as well. It can really nail the Dug sound if he wants. I get it to sound more like me. Not to promote other gear on this forum, but the DP-3X will make a great back-up to my FM3.

Plini opened up for Periphery on their last tour and he ran a 2 guitar 1 Bass player band through one AxeFX3.

I'm assuming the Bassist was DI (thru axeFX) or DI with a pedal/Drive block. Everything sounded great.

With that being said, is there anything I could use within the Axe FX III to run as a mic preamp? Or could I get away with a compressor?
I think depending on the particular mic and feeding that into Input 2 (which has XLR input and is not optimized for line level input) you might be able to get away without a mic pre.

You could also use the unit to process low latency audio for something like Superior Drummer when using an electronic kit live in addition to the possibilities listed above. This is something I intend to try one day: Two guitarists, a bassist and drums all running through the Axe-FX at the same time.

some say they had success with dynamic mics into Input 2. you'd have to crank up volume somehow (input block, compressor, whatever), but along with that comes the noise floor being raised. it "works" but it was too noisy in my experience with several common dynamic mics.

in a pinch it might work, but a mic pre will help raise the level properly. a standard pa mixer would be better in this situation i feel.

That got a chuckle...
Don't know why.
I could be wrong of course, but I'd be surprised to see an AxeFX with 8 I/O's appear in the foreseeable future.
Mind you, with Cliffs brain he might decide to create a beast a fricken orchestra could run through!

In any case, my motto is; why only have one when you can have two! ;)

Last edited:
Don't know why.
I could be wrong of course, but I'd be surprised to see an AxeFX with 8 I/O's appear in the foreseeable future.
Mind you, with Cliffs brain he might decide to create a beast a fricken orchestra could run through!

In any case, my motto is; why only have one when you can have two! ;)
I just chuckled because it was a bit of an oxymoron.

We share the same motto. I have two of several pieces of gear.

You can share the Axe with 3 guys, just use a drive block into a cab block, and the other guys use the amp blocks.

Hell yeah dude, do it. Let's compare notes once you get yours up and let's see how it sounds.

Absolutely. The plan would be 1 amp for bass, 1 amp for bass and use the Axe as an audio interface while Superior drummer is being triggered on my laptop via electronic drums. Maybe I'll add a second guitar. I just wanna see what's the craziest setup I can have with one unit.

Back
Top Bottom