Running a solid state Gibson Lab Series into the Axe Fx as a preamp? Help!

Voldemort

Inspired
In my quest to cop Ty Tabor's Gretchen tone, I recently picked up a Gibson Lab Series head, which should arrive in the next couple of weeks. I would like to run it into the Axe Fx II as a pre-amp and then through effects/EQ and IRs. My noob question is what is the proper way to do this so I don't blow up my rig?

• First, since the Lab Series is solid state, is it okay to run it without a speaker attached? I know this is BAD for tube amps. I think the Lab Series still uses an output transformer, however, so my guess is it still wants to see a load.
  • Second, if I need to connect a speaker, is it okay to use a dummy load (THD Hot Plate or Suhr Reactive Load) with a solid state amp in place of a cabinet?
  • Third, if I get all this connected properly and use the Lab's "pre-amp out" jack (which I think is basically an effects loop), do I still need to run an amp block on the Axe Fx to act as a virtual power amp?
  • Fourth, if the above doesn't work, it is possible to go from the "speaker out" jack on the Lab into a load box and then into an effects loop block on the Axe like I would with a tube head?
Thanks in advance for any help.

:)

1. No, Gibson Lab Series CANNOT be ran without a load, recommended at least 8ohm or 2x16ohm, this amp also has
diode bias circuit. Amp 200watts, will over heat and blow.
2. Sure as long as it matches the above.
3. Matter of taste IMO, whatever sounds better to you.
4. Sure, speaker out-->>load box-->>line out to axe loop.

I wouldn't take my advice as gospel, get the manual for the amp and read it. It is just info from what I have read
on the Lab Series, strange but cool amp, never hear too much about those. You should be safe with any of your ideas
just run a load for sure, and of course, no speaker outs into the axe!! That will kill it for sure! That would suck!
I would google it,EXACT Model, and you will find plenty of info to satisfy your needs

Thanks, I actually had to buy the manual separately on eBay for $8, but did so. The head I bought is only 100 watts, so either the Hot Plate or the Suhr Reactive Load will work. Thanks for the advice.

Raises the question why the Lab hasn't been modeled yet? That seems to be the most asked for amp left to be modeled. Though I get that Ty used it more as a 'drive pedal' instead of an amp, and rather with the preamp gutted and in front of another amp, but TONE.

I have a lab series L 11 head, with a 15 inch cabinet plus horn thatI bought brand-new back in 1982.
I cleaned it up a few months ago, and it still sounds great. It takes pedals really well.
But obviously, I prefer my AXE FX II !

And I still have the manual :)

Thanks, I actually had to buy the manual separately on eBay for $8, but did so. The head I bought is only 100 watts, so either the Hot Plate or the Suhr Reactive Load will work. Thanks for the advice.
No sweat, I don't even have the axe yet, but I always enjoy helping dudes as much as I can.
Thank You for turning me on to Lab Series, never paid attention to them really, until now. :)

I was planning on get ng my Lab Series L9 with an Ev15 speaker captured. I am just too busy. It is indeed a great sounding amp that is not represented

Back
Top Bottom