AFIII Runnin' On Empty solo cover

Mark Day

FAS Artist-in-Residence
Fractal Audio Systems
I've wanted to learn this since I first heard it way back in the 70's. David Lindley (RIP) was an incredible slide player. This was really tough for me even though it sounds relatively easy. Tune a Les Paul with a Floyd Rose to an open E(flat in my case) super low action which makes it even more difficult.
All guitars were removed from the original track with the Moises app.
AxeFx III using my usual preset (factory 375).

Show less

Very cool Mark Thanks for always sharing with this great Fractal Community! Love that song and not a very good slide player you made it sound really good. Thanks for sharing

Man, there’s nothing easy about slide for me, so I’m really impressed! It’s a really iconic solo, and just the kind of magic Lindley brought to things. Thanks for doing it!

Last edited:
Very cool Mark Thanks for always sharing with this great Fractal Community! Love that song and not a very good slide player you made it sound really good. Thanks for sharing
Thanks for the kind words Fred, much appreciated

Man, there’s nothing easy about slide for me, so I’m really impressed! It’s a really iconic solo, and just the kind of magic Lindsey brought to things. Thanks for doing it!
Thanks so much Rick!

Mark, that totally worked! And no, it’s not easy. Not only do you have to concentrate on pitch, but just the phrasing of that portamento between notes comes with a ton of pitfalls and expressive opportunities. And the voice of your preset fits the song wonderfully.

Last edited:
Mark, that totally worked! And no, it’s not easy. Not only do you have to concentrate on pitch, but just the phrasing of that portamento between notes comes with a ton of pitfalls and expressive opportunities. And the voice of your preset fits the song wonderfully.
Thanks so much Rex!

I was at a Jorma Koukonen acoustic show on Saturday when he announced Lindley's passing. What a bummer. That "Running on Empty" solo always caught my ear. Thanks for posting Mark.

Back
Top Bottom