Ruminating on Selling Amp Collection

Nothing wrong with keeping one for a backup rig, or selling them to fund a backup Axe. If I was making my living off of music I would have 2 Axe's, since I don't I have a 2x12 Line 6 that will get the job done and serves as my practice at home rig. I've only sold one high end piece of gear that I regretted selling, and it had personal value but at the time I was broke and going to night school with a new family. I don't regret selling anything else.

I picked up an Axe and sold...

a silverface Diezel VH4s
a 1-of-20 PRS CAD Sweet16+ (signed by Smith & Sewell)
a 1-of-2 PRS CAD "Dallas from Hell" combo w\ opto trem circuit (signed by Sewell)
a PRS "H" 1x12 combo
a Cornford Carrera
a Voodoo Amps Platimun modded Mesa Dual Rec
a Voodoo Amps Platinum modded Marshall TSL
an original block letter 5150
a 1-of-1 artist-owned Friedman modded Mesa Lonestar Classic w\ an awesome figured maple shell
a Diamond Nitrox
a hand-wired Vox AC30 Herritage

a Custom Tones Ethos Overdrive with TLE
an Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo
a Wrampler SLOstortion
an EMMA ReezaFRATzitz Mk.II
a Rockett Alien Echo
a Catailinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk.III
a JAM Pedals Waterfall
a JAM Pedals The Chill
a Greenhouse Retro Sky
a hand painted low ser.no. Rockbox Boiling Point
a 2-knob Keeley Compressor
a Nick Greer Fish Press Compressor
a 1-of-3 SMP rEVOLution 2012 Fuzz
a Strymon Blue Sky
a Strymon Timeline
an original Baldwin Burns Buzzaround

a Gibson Power Stealth
a Faustine Phantom
Two OS Mesa 4x12 cabs w\BSV30's
Two Peavey JSX 4x12 cabs w\G12K100's
and a 2x12 Forte 3D cab w\ a Cele Blue back & a Weber Silverdog

...and I haven't looked back.

Sold practically everything. I kept my ENGL 4 channel combo, my THD Univalve and my Marshall JMP-1 (drag it around as a backup for the AxeFX I gig with).

Just gave my Bogner head/cab to my son-in-law.

I was in the same position as you had gobs of gear collected over the last 15 years or so, no debt/worries wrt financing, etc. I held onto some stuff for a long time but nothing got used, there was no point.

We ended up moving a year and a half ago so that gave me some incentive... I sold basically all of the stuff I am going to get rid of.

I'm basically down to two amps (one of which has sentimental value) + an AF Ultra+PA and the AF2+PA, and maybe three stompboxes. Still probably too much stuff, but I'm calling it final. I'll keep the two amps on principle and for reality checks but I do not miss any of the stuff I sold. Not even a tinge of regret. Kind of amazing actually.

I picked up an Axe and sold...

a silverface Diezel VH4s
a 1-of-20 PRS CAD Sweet16+ (signed by Smith & Sewell)
a 1-of-2 PRS CAD "Dallas from Hell" combo w\ opto trem circuit (signed by Sewell)
a PRS "H" 1x12 combo
a Cornford Carrera
a Voodoo Amps Platimun modded Mesa Dual Rec
a Voodoo Amps Platinum modded Marshall TSL
an original block letter 5150
a 1-of-1 artist-owned Friedman modded Mesa Lonestar Classic w\ an awesome figured maple shell
a Diamond Nitrox
a hand-wired Vox AC30 Herritage

a Custom Tones Ethos Overdrive with TLE
an Earthquaker Devices Ghost Echo
a Wrampler SLOstortion
an EMMA ReezaFRATzitz Mk.II
a Rockett Alien Echo
a Catailinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk.III
a JAM Pedals Waterfall
a JAM Pedals The Chill
a Greenhouse Retro Sky
a hand painted low ser.no. Rockbox Boiling Point
a 2-knob Keeley Compressor
a Nick Greer Fish Press Compressor
a 1-of-3 SMP rEVOLution 2012 Fuzz
a Strymon Blue Sky
a Strymon Timeline
an original Baldwin Burns Buzzaround

a Gibson Power Stealth
a Faustine Phantom
Two OS Mesa 4x12 cabs w\BSV30's
Two Peavey JSX 4x12 cabs w\G12K100's
and a 2x12 Forte 3D cab w\ a Cele Blue back & a Weber Silverdog

...and I haven't looked back.

Holy crap that's a lot of stuff!
just curious, what are you playing your Axe through (amp and cab)?

Someone should start a "Here's what I sold after I got the Axe" thread.

I keep my Princeton and cut down Twin for guests. I did play an amp recently that did shake me up a bit - the 'in the room' sound thing from an open-back single 12". Maybe I'll sell what I have and get that: a Fender Blues Deluxe.

Holy crap that's a lot of stuff!
just curious, what are you playing your Axe through (amp and cab)?

Someone should start a "Here's what I sold after I got the Axe" thread.

Yeah... there was a time when I was able to snag stuff next to dirt cheap. The VH4 - I am lead to believe - came from Mike Mushok's rig. It was becoming a problem. My old jam room turned into a baby nursery, and, well you know...

My chain is a Line6 G55 wireless --> AxeFxII --> Matrix GT1000FX --> stereo out to a pair of passive CLRs. Everything gets power from a Monster Pro2500, it all sits in a clean 6U rolling rack (my back thanks me) including cable runs for the CLRs and MIDI to a Line6 POD HD500 (which I use as just a controller).

It's so stupid simple, yet sounds amazing. Granted, there were a couple one-trick ponies in my stable that (probably due to my dialing skills) I haven't quite matched in the AFX, but none of them came close to being as versatile as the Axe. And the few cases where I might've preferred one of the tube amps to the modeled version (or closest equivalent) are pretty much negligible, especially at stage volume.

There were a few days early on with the Axe that I had some serious "WTF HAVE I DONE?!?!?" moments, but now that I'm getting a lot more comfortable with dialing it in to my tastes it's turned into the best gear decision I've ever made.

I just sold my last amp 3 weeks ago after it sat there for a year and a 1/2.

My advice is to rent some decent microphones if you don't own any and buy cab lab and use it to make ultra rez IR s of all your speaker cabs before selling.

As for the amps, I would sell them and invest the money into other things like more guitars :)

I am in the same boat....no debt, but just don't turn them on anymore. Still debating....especially with the Quidley 22

Well hell, thanks for all the replies guys, that's a lot to think about!

I don't have anything horribly ultra-special, my prize piece would be either my SLO-100 or my Granger GNR-10036 (It's a hand built reproduction of the Super Trem with the Caswell mod used on the AFD album, along with a slew of others back then). Cabs are nothing special, couple of Orange 2x12's, a 4x12 and an Avatar cab with Alnico Blues in it. The rest are basically standard stuff, a 100w Silver Jubilee, DSL, AC30, that sort of thing.

I'd lean towards keeping the Granger really. Curt's a personal friend and it's not only the prototype for that series of amps he sells, but he tweaked it a bit specifically for me, so it's more an heirloom than 'I can't live without it' (heirloom might be too strong a word, but it's definitely got sentimental value to me).

As far as amps being invaluable in the studio, generally I agree with that, BUT (and I'm in no way denigrating myself here, just being realistic), nothing that _I_ do, or ever WILL do in the studio is going to be to that N'th degree that a tube amp might provide. Not that I can imagine anyway.

Definitely something to ponder, but I have a feeling I already know what I'm going to do. ;)

I sold a bunch of amps after getting the Axe Fx, but I bought a bunch of them because I missed them. Depending on what you do, I would keep some of your best ones until you're 100% sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sold all my pedals and amps after a few gigs with the ultra and have since moved on to the II. Definitely worth it! However, I do keep a good stereo power amp in my rack, and have a nice avatar cab for when one is required (rehearsals/some gigs) or just for the fun of a traditional cab in the room.

I sold both my Mark V and 5150III. Although I think I want to plug in to one of them here and there, I never truly regret selling them. Not to mention my bad back likes my Axe FX a LOT! If you have no pressing need for the cash, I would keep your favorite and move the rest. Never hurts to have a big wad of cash in the bank mate!

I sold all my pedals and amps after a few gigs with the ultra and have since moved on to the II. Definitely worth it! However, I do keep a good stereo power amp in my rack, and have a nice avatar cab for when one is required (rehearsals/some gigs) or just for the fun of a traditional cab in the room.

I did the very same, after a few days of building presets and recording with the Ultra (ordered as f/w 11.0 was being released). Put my amps up for sale a few days after the Axe arrived and I've not had a single moment of regret since. Switched to the AxeFX II as f/w 5.0 was being released. Both purchases followed upcoming f/w preview sound clips that Cliff recorded and posted. Something about these clips made it clear for me that it was time to jump on board.

I added a pair of CLR active wedge, a MFC-101, and a pair Ernie Ball VP JR volume pedals (modified for use as expression pedals) following the arrival of my AxeFX II. This is far and away the best sounding and most versatile rig I have ever used!

If there's a downside it would be that the CLR's have absolutely ruined my KRK nearfields. I was already well aware that the KRK's had some serious shortcomings but having set up the CLR's as monitors in my music room a quick A/B comparison made clear just how much information I'd been missing. I've been avoiding this for a long time but I can't listen to the KRK's at all anymore. Time for a new pair of desktop nearfields. There are worse problems to have. :)

I haven't missed mine at all. I didn't have a fancy collection, but still. But now I have more guitars than ever.

Axe + Genelecs = heavenly tones at home. Axe + CLR = Heavenly tones, only louder.

Back
Top Bottom