RTA question

jyflorida

Power User
I'm trying to run an external isolated guitar track through the RTA without much success. I've done tone matching this way with no problem, playing an MP3 or CD on my computer with the Axe as my soundcard. Having no success with getting the signal to be recognized in the RTA though and it's at the beginning of the signal chain before anything else, including the tone match block. Is this not possible or is the answer simple enough & I'm just too dense to see it? :)

If you are sending the audio to USB Outs 5&6 in order to feed the In 1 block on the grid, make sure you change Input 1 Source from Analog to USB in the I/O menu.

Another option is to use USB Outs 7&8 to feed the USB In block on the grid and connect that to the RTA block instead.

I'm not sending audio to 5/6. On the I/O menu I'm not seeing an option to send the USB Out 7/8 to the USB block. The signal chain is pretty basic.
1604873089176.png

USB Outs 7&8 only send to the USB In block. There's no I/O menu settings for those.

Some of the I/O menu settings can be a bit confusing because they are labeled in reference to the Axe III side. The USB Inputs and Outputs you see in your DAW are labeled in reference to the computer side. The setting for USB Output 7,8 Source on the Audio page is actually referring to USB Inputs 7&8 in your DAW. Similarly, the USB/AES Input Levels on the USB/AES page control the level of the signal coming from the associated USB Outputs in your DAW. Make sure those are set to 0 dB to get a unity gain signal into the Axe III from your DAW.

It's easier to keep it straight if you remember outputs always send signals and inputs always receive signals, so an Output on the Axe III side will always be connected to an Input on PC side.

I don't know if this makes a difference but for what I'm trying to do, I'm not using a DAW. Just using the media player to play the track.

It likely won't work that way unless you can select from all of the Axe III's available USB outputs. Windows uses USB outputs 1&2 for audio playback. That gets mixed into Output 1 just before the D/A converters, so it does not go through the grid. You'll need to use software that supports ASIO drivers and lets you select USB Outputs 5&6 or 7&8 in order to send audio back to the grid for processing.

Back
Top Bottom