Routing...

feliperigby

Inspired
Hi folks.

some questions about cables...

I'll try to explain.
My rig is: Axe -> Matrix Gt1600 -> Ampeg HLF410 (yes i'm a bass player)

For now one that's fine.

but with wich kind of cable I would use to send the signal to the PA?
In the manual says I'll need to use Out(2) L + Out (2) R to send to the PA.

Só a Stereo cable.

Should I use a Y in p10 mode (guitar plugs in all the sides)?
Or should I use a Y in XLR mode?

Witch is the best way to do that?

Thanks for the attention

XLR (mic cable) to PA

XLR OR 1/4" to the Matrix amp

Are you sending true stereo effects (on the bass) from the axefx to the PA?

You have many output options, but I'm not sure I understand what you're doing. If you do have stereo effects programmed, but a MONO stage cabinet, you need to make sure you have summed the L/R stereo signals properly to MONO to feed your Matrix stage rig. You can also use the Copy Out 1 to Out 2 feature (global i/o), and use Output 1 XLR to feed to the PA, and 1/4" output 2 to feed your Matrix/Ampeg, with each having their own front panel level controls on the AxeFx.

Also, how are you accounting for the difference in tone between your stage rig and the Full Range signal being sent to the PA?

No I just use mono effects.
Nothing in true stereo.

OK, then assuming that anything that MIGHT have some stereo imaging has been dealt with properly within the presets and/or I/O routing, then you could simply use Output 1 XLR Left to go to the Matrix, and Output 1 XLR Right to got to the PA system. Set and forget the front panel Output 1 Level, adjusted so you can get as much volume as you need to drive the level control knob on the Matrix amp to get your Ampeg to its maximum practial volume when used on stage (probably around 11 o'clock or 12 o'clock on the knob).

There are other ways to do this, but IMO this is the simplest. You can also substitute using OUT 1 1/4" connector instead of XLR (mic cable) to the Matrix.

Seeing as you're running a cab on stage and running to FOH, are you using cabs in your FOH signal? Or does your FOH signal differ in any way to your stage signal?

If both signals are the same and you're not using the looper, just copy out 1 to 2, run output 2 for your stage monitoring (a few inches of unbalanced line from the Axe to the Matrix won't be a problem) and run output one to FOH. Or you could run both from output 1 seeing as you're only using mono signals.

If you're running two different signals, you can send them to the two separate outputs using the FXL block (assuming you are using the first gen Axe like me... dunno if it's done the same way in the Axe 2) to send your stage signal out through output 2, and then run your other FOH chain to the normal output 1. Or even with two different signals you can send both through one output and just use hard panning within the patch to separate the two to L/R.

Either way, I'd personally be inclined to split them to separate outputs. That way you have separate front panel volume control and global EQs. Going through one output, you'd have to make those kinds of changes at a patch level if you wanted to adjust just one of the signals, i.e. if your stage sound is unusually boomy and you want to tweak the low end for more clarity, running two outputs you could easily just make some global EQ adjustments on output 2. Running through one output, you'd either have to make a global adjustment (but this also affects the signal going to FOH), or you'd have to go into all the patches you're using and tweak the EQ on the one signal.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom