Routing Output 2 To Mixer

pjrake

Inspired
I'm using Output 1 LEFT XLR to the FOH (running Mono) and currently using Output 2 RIGHT to my IEM mixer.

However, I wanted to add some reverb to my in-ears mix only (the mixer doesn't have built-in effects). If I were to run Output 2 LEFT 1/4" unbalanced to the mixer's 1/4" input, will the signal be the same as the XLR balanced? In other words, is one or the other a better connection or it really doesn't matter? If I can use Output 2 for my IEM, then I can run a reverb block to the second out (and maybe run another cab block and increase the room level too).

-PJ

Did you mistype in the first sentence? Output 1 Right or Output 2 Right to the IEM mixer? Either way, you can add reverb to just one channel if you want via parallel paths & balance controls.

I wouldn't worry too much about XLR vs. 1/4" but it is possible that 1/4" could introduce noise that would be rejected by a balanced (XLR) connection.

Balanced audio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Add a Reverb block on next line down (after all your other blocks in the preset) then put an FX SEND block after it (goes to OUT 2).
As long as you have COPY OUT1 -> OUT2 turned OFF, OUT 2 will have a reverb'ed version of your preset patch. Tweak to taste.

As far as connectors go: balanced is always preferable over un-balanced. If the distance is less than 10 feet, then either is OK. Over 10 feet, you stand a greater risk of signal loss and noise induction.

Back
Top Bottom