FM3 Routing of FM3

indra

Hi there,
I have my FM3 connected to my dektop PC via USB. I also have mixer connected via USB. So far I only get the sound from the FM3 if I connect the FM3 directly with mixer via XLR, bypassing the PC. How needs the routing (in the FM3) to be done so that the signal comes via USB from the FM3 to the PC and then further on to the mixer (also via USB). The mixer is correctly connected since I can hear the sound, whatever application I use (youtube, cubase etc....).
Also asking because e.g. in Cubase I only can route one audiointerface for in- or output (mixer or FM3). Wonder how I can monitor the sound in cubase without having a XLR connection between the FM3 and the mixer (to which the monitor loudspeakers are connected)? If choose the FM3 as the only audiointerface in cubase I get nothing to the mixer via USB but just by the XLR connection.
Hope this is not to confusing and many thanks for your support!
Tom

I don’t believe in Windows you can use 2 different USB devices as audio interfaces at the same time. Maybe it’s possible but I haven’t done it but haven’t looked that hard. All my Fractal devices connect to my interface that is then connected via USB to my PC.

Last edited:
Hello!
In windows environment you can use only 1 sound device (ASIO).
(in Mac you can aggregate / in windows you can use third party ASIO, but I suggest to avoid)

So you have 2 choices:
  • use the FM3 as recording/playing device
  • use the mixer as a device (so you need to use the Output from FM3, and USB is used only for controlling FM3-edit)

I ended using my sound card as the main device and using SPDIF from FM3 to avoid a/d/a conversion, but FM3 is a great audio device if your needs are not demanding

While you can monitor through Cubase if you like (See "Monitor through DAW"), you'll probably be happier with the results if you monitor direct (See "Direct Monitoring"). You'll find both topics covered here:
Thanks Glenn,
great read and yes you are right because of the latency issue. Sofar I am not clear whether it is better to use the mixer or the FM3 as an audio interface. Since the mixer has no Spdif I would need to connect the FM3 with XLR and would have A/D conversion, then. Using the FM3 as the interface feels less flexible with the computer sounds and other device attached to the PC. So I think I go best with your suggested option 4 but only using the USB connection of the FM3 for the FM3-edit.

I'd recommend option #2. Use the FM3 as your single audio interface in Cubase. Use headphone out (or mixer usb) for system audio through your mixer. Connect the FM3 analog output to the mixer for direct monitoring, but use FM3 usb for recording. That solves your latency problem, is flexible, and works great with Cubase.

Connect the FM3 analog output to the mixer for direct monitoring, but use FM3 usb for recording. That solves your latency problem, is flexible, and works great with Cubase.
This is what I have been doing since I got my FM3 and I got excellent results.FM3 usb direct recording in stereo without any latency issue in Cubase.

Back
Top Bottom