Routing/MIDI Question

ssmorga78

Experienced
Question for all those running the full Axe rack...... Let's say for instance, I was running an Axe FX II mk1 and using the little FAS converter box to run ethernet cable into XLR to run to a MFC mk3. Now, perhaps I thought of running a BigSky in the FX Loop of the Axe.....and the easiest setup would be to house the BigSky in the rack case that the Axe is mounted in.....could I use the Midi Out jack on the Axe FX II to control the changes on the BigSky or would the BigSky HAVE to live in the pedalboard where the MFC is since I am using the Ethernet out on the Axe FX II to run to the MFC????

We use the MIDI out on an Axe-FX II with the MFC-101 connected and it works fine. The MFC-101's commands get passed through to the MIDI out on the Axe-FX. Might have to check settings on the Axe-FX to enable the pass-through (can't remember if there's a setting) but it definitely works.

Now, just so we are clear..... I still want to use the MFC port on the back of the Axe to control the MFC, but I also want to use the MIDI Out on the Axe to send control changes to a BigSky. I just want to make sure it's not an either/or kind of thing with either having to use MIDI Out OR MFC port. I want to make sure I can use both at the same time before I spend the cash on a BigSky. I don't want to have to run a snake with 1/4"cables and power out to a pedalboard, nor do I want to have to spring for a larger pedalboard to accommodate the size of the BigSky.

Now, just so we are clear..... I still want to use the MFC port on the back of the Axe to control the MFC, but I also want to use the MIDI Out on the Axe to send control changes to a BigSky. I just want to make sure it's not an either/or kind of thing with either having to use MIDI Out OR MFC port. I want to make sure I can use both at the same time before I spend the cash on a BigSky. I don't want to have to run a snake with 1/4"cables and power out to a pedalboard, nor do I want to have to spring for a larger pedalboard to accommodate the size of the BigSky.

Yes, you can use the MFC port on the AXE-FX to control the MFC. In the menu choose option to echo to midi out and the midi commands from the MFC get echoed to other downstream devices connected to the Midi out of the Axe FX. I previously used the MFC to control the Axe-Fx, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, and a few other midi devices that were all stored in the Rack. The only item at my feet was the MFC.

Back
Top Bottom