• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Routing, impedance and pitch tracking

Luca9583

Inspired
Hi everyone

I have some questions about routing, impedance and pitch tracking in the FM3, having looked at the preliminary wiki:

• IN 1/INSTR – 1/4” phone jack, unbalanced, conditioned for guitar use, 1 Megaohm (adjustable?), instrument level
  • OUT 1 / MAIN – XLR, L/R, balanced, ground lift switch, line level
  • IN 2 / FX RETURN – 1/4” combo, L/R, balanced, line level
  • OUT 2 / FX SEND – 1/4” combo, L/R, Humbuster, line level

Due to IN 1 being the only available instrument level connection, it seems that the FM3 can't be used for 4CM without some kind of line to instrument impedance converter. Is this correct or is there any chance the In/Out specs could be revised for the final release?

It would be great, for example, to be able to run two separate instruments into the FM3, or simply use the unit for FX in series with other pedals, in front of a preamp or amplifier etc.

Also, regarding the pitch tracking, is this only active on IN 1? So for example, can the Synth, tracking mode for Ring Mod and intelligent modes in the Pitch blocks only be used correctly with signal coming from IN 1?

Severed

Power User
I too am interested in a 4CM routing, but no real info has been put out

as for the pitch.... this is what Cliff said about the III and apparently the FM3 will be the same.

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/so-whats-new-on-the-iii-axe-fx-ii-vs-iii.134729/post-1592475
I think there are 8 scene controllers. I'll have to check. If not it would be trivial to add more.

Yes, the pitch blocks have their own dedicated detectors now.

You can control almost anything (within reason) with modifiers.

Channels save all settings for a block. A channel is like a preset within a block.

Luca9583

Inspired
I too am interested in a 4CM routing, but no real info has been put out

as for the pitch.... this is what Cliff said about the III and apparently the FM3 will be the same.
Thanks @Severed. The FM3 only has one Pitch Block though. What i was hoping to find out was if the Pitch tracking is limited to IN 1 only on the FM3.

Thinking about 4CM, all the other Fractal units have line level outputs but work in 4CM so it would be great to know if IN2 supports high impedance sources like IN3 and IN4 on the Axe III.

Regarding the line level output and 4CM, i suppose this will need to be kept at the default -10dbv in the output settings.

Severed

Power User
Thanks @Severed. The FM3 only has one Pitch Block though. What i was hoping to find out was if the Pitch tracking is limited to IN 1 only on the FM3.
I'm pretty sure it means that any block(s) that use detection will have it on the block level.

Sadly there is Zero communication about these things from fractal since that Greg guy stopped posting last fall so it's a wait and see kinda thing ....

Luca9583

Inspired
I'm pretty sure it means that any block(s) that use detection will have it on the block level.

Sadly there is Zero communication about these things from fractal since that Greg guy stopped posting last fall so it's a wait and see kinda thing ....
Yep..all good

Top Bottom