Rounded or Pointy Pick Tip? Flexy or Stiff Pick?

^ I like those too. I think I have just one left of those - will buy more.

I recently acquired a few various blue chip picks, but haven't tried them out yet. Two of them have the speed bevel.

I use the XL Jazz III 1.14 Purple.
Stiff enough to be aggressive with very little bend, and the sharp point keeps it articulate.

Last edited:
Dunlop Jazz III is my choice compared to trying a bunch of other shapes and densities.

I get less string resistance and my picking feels more accurate with a more sure grip with the Jazz III. The rounded tip picks tend to rotate in my hand unless I use an insane amount of grip.

Another type of pick I like for finger style are the sitar plectrums that you wear over your fingertips. It takes some woodshedding to get used to, but you can do up and down strokes per finger with them with enough practice.

After reading about how most fast pickers use thick picks, I met Paul Gilbert.. he uses a ridiculously thin floppy pick. I think it’s all personal preference. I’ve tried to switch many times and always end up back at a yellow dunlop

I like the thin picks because I feel it gives you a more crisper sound than thick ones but the thin ones over time bends and stays bent.

I have tried so many picks in 45 years, I refuse to pay some of the prices for boutique picks ,I lose em all the time ,a while back I changed to light picks which were fun for a while, string scrapes awesome ,but I found that my pointer finger nail was hitting against the strings ,and I started to get a curl on my finger nail and it hurt when I play . I always go back to hero flex 75's ,kind of in between xl jazz and Dunlap green tortex. I still scrape my finger nail across the strings ,have to be aware of my picking strokes ?
I had this exact problem with my index finger which is one reason I looked at the pick as being a potential issue. I'm sure poor technique is probably the main cause but since switching to the much thicker pick, I have yet to hit my finger on the strings. No more cramping in my hand either.

As far as losing picks, I would buy bulk packs of 24-72 and used to lose about a dozen every couple of months or so but believe me, when you pay $10 per pick your awareness of where they are increases dramatically.;) I've only bought 4 Shredders and have not lost one in well over a year.

I have tried so many picks in 45 years, I refuse to pay some of the prices for boutique picks ,I lose em all the time ,a while back I changed to light picks which were fun for a while, string scrapes awesome ,but I found that my pointer finger nail was hitting against the strings ,and I started to get a curl on my finger nail and it hurt when I play . I always go back to hero flex 75's ,kind of in between xl jazz and Dunlap green tortex. I still scrape my finger nail across the strings ,have to be aware of my picking strokes ?

For years I had the same problem with my index finger nail as well, it getting awfully thin at times. I even covered it up at times with band aid and I could see the band aid almost worn off when I was finished playing the guitar. Not sure if its related to me switching over the Jazz III picks but I only use those since the 90's and I don't have that problem anymore.

Blue Chip. Thank me later.

I'm using the same pick for acoustic for over a year now, and it will last me a good while longer. For a heavy picker who plays acoustic for several hours every day, that's just amazing. They sound great, hardly wear, and glide over the strings with no scrapes or hick ups.

They also don't slip out or your grip. They're kind of tacky to the touch. With all other picks, I have to grip like my life depended on it. Blue Chips just stays in place between my fingers even without even pinching them.

Best guitar purchase in years IMHO.

Mostly Dunlop Ultex Jazz III XL's on electric for me. Pointy shape like the regular Jazz III, but closer in size to a standard pick. My hands sweat a lot when I play, so the bigger size and raised text on them makes for a good grip. I used Tortex picks for years until they released Ultex. It's brighter and lasts longer than Tortex. Fender classic celluloid mediums or thins for acoustic.

Last edited:
Blue Chip. Thank me later.

I'm using the same pick for acoustic for over a year now, and it will last me a good while longer. For a heavy picker who plays acoustic for several hours every day, that's just amazing. They sound great, hardly wear, and glide over the strings with no scrapes or hick ups.

They also don't slip out or your grip. They're kind of tacky to the touch. With all other picks, I have to grip like my life depended on it. Blue Chips just stays in place between my fingers even without even pinching them.

Best guitar purchase in years IMHO.

Thanks for the recommendation. Am I correct based on the product description that they don't flex at all? That's my personal preference. I'm looking at getting 3 of the TAD-1R type, 40/50/60, so I have three different point types to play with.

After reading about how most fast pickers use thick picks, I met Paul Gilbert.. he uses a ridiculously thin floppy pick. I think it’s all personal preference. I’ve tried to switch many times and always end up back at a yellow dunlop
Pretty much the same here, Paul Gilbert sent me down the same rabbit hole. Also, I like the sound of a thinner pick: BUT -- like anything depends on what you are doing at the time.

Use to play thick picks all the time so going down to a .60 or .50 presented some challenges, the main challenge timing. Slow stuff no problem, fast stuff no problem, but there was a middle ground were it would get sloppy. And it would not happen with a thicker pick.

Bottom line like you the pick I always carry is a Dunlop Yellow / .73 but I still use .50 and .60 at times.

Back
Top Bottom