Rounded or Pointy Pick Tip? Flexy or Stiff Pick?

Stiff and rounded. I use stainless steel picks on my electric guitars. Here's one next to a standard Jim Dunlop for size and shape comparison.

Steel Pick 1 - 1024.jpg

Never thought I'd say it as I was a "thick picks are snake oil" but.... 3.5mm, beveled edge, soft point, Chickenpicks Shredder. Absolutely the most comfortable pick I've used for electric guitar.
1597442234597.png

After years of dicking around with all sorts of different picks (and spending lots of money on boutique options), I settled on Standard Fender Heavy's for Electric, and Mediums for Acoustic. Why fight it.

(The only quirk I have is that the logo MUST be pointed up towards my head...the beveling works better that way for me.)

As many different picks as I've tried over the years, I always come back to Fender Mediums or equivalent. I do like it even more when they start to wear down and get more rounded...

After years of dicking around with all sorts of different picks (and spending lots of money on boutique options), I settled on Standard Fender Heavy's for Electric, and Mediums for Acoustic. Why fight it.

(The only quirk I have is that the logo MUST be pointed up towards my head...the beveling works better that way for me.)
Its like me... I could swear my RED JAZZ III sounds better than BLACK ones.... :D

I go a little lighter, Dunlop round Fender style .60 &.73. But !! I have the same quirk logo must be face up.

Never thought I'd say it as I was a "thick picks are snake oil" but.... 3.5mm, beveled edge, soft point, Chickenpicks Shredder. Absolutely the most comfortable pick I've used for electric guitar.
View attachment 71388

I just ordered a starter set, although I do like lighter picks these days, use to play thick picks all the time and have heard so many good things about these picks.

I have tried so many picks in 45 years, I refuse to pay some of the prices for boutique picks ,I lose em all the time ,a while back I changed to light picks which were fun for a while, string scrapes awesome ,but I found that my pointer finger nail was hitting against the strings ,and I started to get a curl on my finger nail and it hurt when I play . I always go back to hero flex 75's ,kind of in between xl jazz and Dunlap green tortex. I still scrape my finger nail across the strings ,have to be aware of my picking strokes ?

Stiff and pointy... Picks, I mean ;)

Also, jazz size.

Used Dunlop Tortex Jazz 1mm picks for many years. A couple years ago or so I was given a JP Jazz III and bounced back and forth between the two for a while before settling on the JP.

However, now I'm favoring the Tortex again.

I also used the Dunlop Stubbies 3mm many years ago and tried the black and red Jazz III...

I like Fender medium picks for acoustic stuff although I will also use a jazz style pick, and recently tried a bit heavier Tortex pick that is basically a Fender style.

21417200112.MAIN__83069.1576897467.jpg

Tried al kinds of stuff.
Even the stone picks, then stainless steel.
I even made my own out of 2mm SS.
But these were quite heavy and destroyed my strings at an alarming rate.
Tried Ultex, Tortex, Delrin 500, JP Jazz III,....
But I found the Gator Grips to give me the best grip.
I had some made in the same material and thickness (2mm) by InTune picks but the edges were a bit to square for me.
The Gators are a bit more rounded and that seems to work better for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom