RotoVibe

Rotovibe is sort of a modern variation on the UniVibe's 4 stage phaser circuit. It uses Opamps and LEDs instead of discrete transistors and an incandescent bulb like the UniVibe. Because of that, the sweep is more symmetrical compared to the UniVibe's distinctive lopsided, lumpy sweep. Like the UniVibe, the Chorus mode is a 50/50 wet/dry blend, while the Vibrato mode is 100% wet.

Last edited:
Here's a quick and dirty starting point.

Start with the Classic Vibe model in the Phase block.

Reduce the Mix to 50% for a bit less pitch warble

One the More page of the Phaser block, try these to even out the sweep:

Type: Photocell
Bias: 0.25
Exponent: 1.0
Attack: 10ms
Release 10ms

From there, assign a pedal to the rate parameter with Min around 1 Hz and Max around 6 Hz or so.

To my ears it tends to sound the best with the depth turned down a bit at higher settings, so one way to do that is to assign the same pedal to the depth parameter as well. Set Min to around 5 and Max to 10 and then Swap the Start and End values to 100% and 0% respectively. That will make the depth go down as the rate goes up and you end up with a bit more even sounding rate range.

Sounds decently close into a cranked JCM800 style amp.

Last edited:

Release 10ms

From there, assign a pedal to the rate parameter with Min around 1 Hz and Max around 6 Hz or so.

To my ears it tends to sound the best with the depth turned down a bit at higher settings, so one way to do that is to assign the same pedal to the depth parameter as well. Set Min to around 5 and Max to 10 and then Swap the Start and End values to 100% and 0% respectively. That will make the depth go down as the rate goes up and you end up with a bit more even sounding rate range.

Will try this when I get home later this evening snd report back!

Release 10ms

This works fantastically well. Thank you!

Release 10ms

sorry for the long delay, yes your settings sound cool! thanks!

Has anyone gotten their rotovibe more dialed in? Does anyone have a block or preset they would like to share?

Would this effect ultimately be best in front of the amp? I’ve heard mixed things about phaser placement…
I've always prefered to place less-subtle modulation effects before fuzz or distortion due to the huge swath of overtones in a distorted signal. All those overtones will quickly turn a nice burble into the jet engine effect. (Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what you are going for.)

I've always prefered to place less-subtle modulation effects before fuzz or distortion due to the huge swath of overtones in a distorted signal. All those overtones will quickly turn a nice burble into the jet engine effect. (Not that there is anything wrong with that if that's what you are going for.)
Well this makes sense. I guess I want to know where in the chain this will have its most clarity when engaged. Seems like before the amp block and before fuzz or distortion

Well this makes sense. I guess I want to know where in the chain this will have its most clarity when engaged. Seems like before the amp block and before fuzz or distortion
IME - I almost always place phasers and univibes first in the chain. Wah, compression and envelope followers might bump them depending on noise floor, input impedance, and other factors. Your ears will generally tell you what's right for your tone.

The beauty of modelers is you can swap their position with the press of a footswitch. (For that rare moment when you want a gigantic jet engine swooshing away.)

@mr_fender I did give your Roto settings a run today, in front of the SLP1959 and preceded by a real world AC128 Fuzz Face (to the Axe's front input, Input Impedance switched to 90K).

Your settings are great fun and I thank you again. Here's the vid if you're interested. 🙏🏻

Nice, you have Goven backing you! :)

I wish FAS would give us a dedicated Rotovibe option but in the Rotary block. I already use a phase block so l sometimes get confused on which is which.

Side note is there a way to custom name the blocks in a preset. Like I could name Phase 1 swoosh and Phase 2 Roto?

Last edited:
Can't name the block itself, but you can change the name on the switch(es) that turn it on and off, and I think you can name it in the block library.

One thing I can never get in to is Fuzz. to me it sounds like a stereo turned up and the speakers can't handle it but that's just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom