Rotary in 18.00 beta

Here's a quick recording of my Rotary sound with above mentioned routing. Starts out at 1Hz speed and speeds up after intro.. Sorry for clams, fat-fingers tonight..

Oh man I can't wait to try this out. Rotary is by far one of my favourite effects and I've been campaigning to have it revisited. Great to hear what you guys have come up with.

How does the X/Y switching work out with the rate changes? Does it still ramp up/down in speed or is it an instant change?

How does the X/Y switching work out with the rate changes? Does it still ramp up/down in speed or is it an instant change?

instant as far as i could tell. not sure it can be ramped, due to discreet instances changing suddenly.

did you use XY switching to change speed? scene controller?

Attached a modifier to Rate:
-Pointed it to my external switch
-min 1.0hz
-max:6.5hz
-damping 10ms (think that was default?)

That's about it really. Sorry, I should have been more specific. :)

EDIT: should add..
I like it this way as I can predetermine how the Rotary will engage(fast or slow-via external footswitch) before I turn it on, and I can turn it on any scene via MFC IA, but also have a dedicated scene for it.

cool! i think the original 'will it ramp' question referred specifically to the new XY switching in the Rotary block. i don't see that ever ramping since it is 2 separate instances of the rotary effect.

but if you stay within X (or Y) and change the speed somehow, like you're doing, it will ramp. i like how there are 2 distinct options. i do know of some situations where i want an instant change from slow to fast or something, vs the ramp - which i also want too!

Wow, that sounds amazing Yek, would it be possible for you to share that preset?

Rotary:
Default, except: High Level 3

Amp:
AC-20 Treble
Drive 3
HiCut 1.50

Cab:
mix of OH (V3 Mix) Bogner EV-L and H-SB-75
Raw Modern 06
LowCut 120
HiCut 5.5

Reverb:

Oh yeah.. It is amazing IMO. The band with Scofield is a great combination!

Thanks for the patch link. I will check it out when I get some time!

Ya i just got this, great CD...Not to many of us jamband heads on here. Any of you guys into Kimock..i started working on a kimock patch but havnt finished it yet.

Also with this rotary i always go to Charlie Hunter for a reference, thats what im going for

None of the rotary sounds I've heard from the Axe felt right to me - I decided to investigate.

The suggestion about putting the rotary in parallel with everything else was eye opening. I realized that this is how it would probably normally work with a real Leslie or whatnot - your signal would be split at some point then sent to the Leslie in addition to your amp.

That's what I did. Split the signal before even hitting the 'amp' block. On that split, I have a drive pedal for a little grit (like a real Leslie cab/amp/preamp/whatever would do), an eq to filter out nonsense and shape it a little bit, and then the rotary block. To my ears, this is the closest I've ever hard to a mini vent by far. Take a listen:

This clip is Rotary Off, Rotary Slow, Rotary Off, Rotary Fast.

Download it here:
Axe-Change - Download Preset - Kevinerror Vent - by kevinerror

Cool sounds but I would not say these are closest to the vent. I have the Mini Vent here in front of me.

And it's not how a real Leslie works. A real Leslie is an amp in itself. The amp's output goes to to the drum and/or horn. So if anything the Rotary should come after the Amp block.

Also, a real Leslie IS the cabinet. But that's not how the leslie is modeled in the Rotary block, AFAIK.

Oh yeah.. It is amazing IMO. The band with Scofield is a great combination!

Thanks for the patch link. I will check it out when I get some time!

Love The Mule as well. Muleman and Mott, my instant thought was Strawberry Fields! This is a very cool sound. Thanks Iaresee and MuleMan for the screen shots, time to get busy!

Cool sounds but I would not say these are closest to the vent. I have the Mini Vent here in front of me.

And it's not how a real Leslie works. A real Leslie is an amp in itself. The amp's output goes to to the drum and/or horn. So if anything the Rotary should come after the Amp block.

Also, a real Leslie IS the cabinet. But that's not how the leslie is modeled in the Rotary block, AFAIK.

Agree to disagree - every other rotary sound I've heard is missing the 'drive' that the minivent/a real Leslie adds. Too sterile. Too clean.

As far as the 'real Leslie being an amp in itself' - Yes, that's why I'm separating from the main signal before my 'amp' - you wouldn't plug a real leslie amp/cab into the output of another amp.

And yes, a real Leslie is the cab - but its much flatter response than a traditional guitar cab, hence why a simple filter block can handle the 'cab' sound good enough, IMO.

Reactions: yek
Any of you guys into Kimock..i started working on a kimock patch but havnt finished it yet.

Steve Kimock is a guitar deity. My band played some double bill shows with Zero and the Kimock band. In addition to being a terrific player, his guitar tone is beautiful. He's using a Two-Rock Kimock signature amp these days. Back when we played shows with his bands, he was using a Boogie and a Lexicon LXP-5 for hall / plate reverb, and for delay. Have you ever looked at how he alters the chord shapes with his left hand to tune the individual notes? That's part of the key to his sound. He's sweetening the tuning while he plays each note within the chords. When I realized he was doing this crazy real-time game of 3D fretboard chess, I briefly considered turning my guitar into a lamp.

He played a devastatingly beautiful solo version of "Little Wing" one night when we were playing with Zero.

The original Leslie consists of a rotary horn for the upper frequencies and a lower drum for - the lows.
I wonder if anyone has doodled with a parallel driven effect. I'll give it a try. With different passbands for each and maybe some time-unalignments.

As far as the 'real Leslie being an amp in itself' - Yes, that's why I'm separating from the main signal before my 'amp' - you wouldn't plug a real leslie amp/cab into the output of another amp.

I got the idea to run it in parallel with the CAB block, but fed by the AMP block, after reading an article from Trey Anastasio's tech where he talked about taking the slave out from Trey's MkIII head and feeding that in to the Leslie on stage.

I've also encountered rigs where the Leslie was fed from a drive pedal that split the signal chain pre-amp. For example, that's how it was in John Popper's rig pre-AxeFx-ification.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom