Rotary block dilemma 2: electric boogaloo

Okay so I'm having my own dilemma with the Rotary block. :lol:

I find it doesn't give me that "edge" that most Rotary sims/pedals I've heard have. That crunchy treble and watery modulation I love from things like that theH&K Rotosphere and Line 6 Rotary sims. I use it less like an after-the-amp cab and more like a chorus pedal in front of the amp to get a dissonant chorusy effect similar to what guys like Breaking Benjamin does with their H&K Rotospheres. I've mess with the settings like crazy and still really can't get what I want. Am I missing something or is the Fractal rotary more of a cleaner, more subtle effect? Thanks!

I love the Rotary block and use it a lot.
But it's true that it doesn't have that shimmery top end, found on some pedals.

I love the Rotary block and use it a lot.
But it's true that it doesn't have that shimmery top end, found on some pedals.

From what I've experimented with, it's fantastic after an amp. But I find it's a bit too subtle for going in front of an amp like a pedal. Sucks because so far the Axe 3 is nailing everything I need except this niche effect. :p

Tried the Mix at both 50%, 100%, and everything in-between. Messed with the drive control, stereo width controls, pretty much everything under the sun.

I get the feeling a wish for a less subtle rotary type may end up being the best course of action. Im wondering if others see the subtlety as a con or a pro.

Post an example of what you're trying to accomplish with it. You mentioned Breaking Benjamin, any specific songs?

Post an example of what you're trying to accomplish with it. You mentioned Breaking Benjamin, any specific songs?

:24

0:07 - :25 (engages the ramp at :10)

Intro here. Sounds like they start the lick with the Rotosphere's fast setting, then immediately ramp it into slow mode. Rinse and repeat.

Easily got this kinda sound with my Helix and Pod Go.
@yek understands what I'm talking about at least. Leslie sim pedals like the Rotosphere, Vent, and even the L6 Rotomachine and Tech 21 Roto Choir tend to have this shimmery, crunchy treble, even with the Drive knob set low. But yeah, if yek says it won't do what I need, then I'm assuming it's not the block for doing what I want. pff

Last edited:
Run it parallel with its own cab IR that has better tonal qualities you are after. I’ve found that is key to getting the tones I want and it’s more like using a real rotary because the sound doesn’t come out of your guitar speaker cab, it comes out of its own cabinet which is miked and blended with the guitar cab

Well, the block is an actual wood box Leslie emulator and not a Leslie pedal emulation. You don't get as much high end as one might think with a spinning real Leslie drum actually...

But I did love my H&K rotosphere...and the Ventilator pedal sounds good too.

Something for the wish list?
One of several things I'd have to throw onto the wish list for sure. :p

I'd definitely be interested in a mode to the rotary block that made it sound more like a rotary pedal than a true Leslie. For better or worse, emulated rotary is now a sound we're used to as an effect unto itself.
My memory's a bit fuzzy but that sounds like the backstory behind a lot of guitar effects. :D
But hey, if my specific needs makes a effect on the Fractal units, I'm all for it. Not having a Rotary Simulator on the Axe isn't a dealbreaker, just something I'd fine super, super useful and would have on almost every preset. :D

I'd definitely be interested in a mode to the rotary block that made it sound more like a rotary pedal than a true Leslie. For better or worse, emulated rotary is now a sound we're used to as an effect unto itself.
+1

I too think it could use a more guitar friendly type in addition to the current one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom