Rory Gallagher tones with FM3

LBingen

Hi guys,
I recently bought myself a Fender CS "Rory Gallagher" Strat Relic, because I finally had the the cash to buy the guitar that rembles the axe of my all time favourite, Rory Gallagher.
What a good looking, fine playing and good sounding guitar!!
In my homestudio, I play with my VOX AC10 and a re-issue of the Dallas Rangemaster. This gives me real Rory-tone!!

But now I would like to mimic these tones with my FM3, but I cannot get these tones.
I've already tried the AC30 models and the FAS Treble booster (which is said to resemble the Dallas Rangemaster) but does not sound right.
Perhaps I didn't use the right cabinet (there are so many....)?

Who can help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: gpz
Congratulations! Don't overlook the Morgan model, and of course he switched to Marshall around the time of Photo Finish, so give that a try also.

Still one of my favorite guitar players. Top Priority, Photo Finish, Calling Card, Live in Europe, all great albums.
Luckily I was able to watch him play live back in the day. And also the direct reason why I like some of my guitars relic'd.

Anyway, the Treble Boost in fw 3.03 beta 1 has an issue IIRC, which probably will be fixed in the upcoming fw.

Thanks, GlennO and Yek, for your reply.

I will try the Morgan and different Marshall -models. I knew Rory was also using Marshall and Fender Bassmans. I will give them a try too with different cabs. There is website called " ground guitar" with all kind of information about instruments, effects en amps, Rory used during his career.

At the moment I use FW 3.02.
I'll wait until Cygnus will be ready before I'll try the treble boosters again :)

Cheers

As far as I know, Rory used a (very) high action (for slide-playing on his Strat) and picked quite hard...

I've been trying forever to get get that cut to the bone tone he was getting on "I Wonder Who" from Irish Tour with everything I've owned included the FM3 to no avail.

I've been searching for the "Keychain" "Off The Handle" "Bad Penny" "Walking Wounded" tone that he had later in his career. It just cut like a knife and it was incredible. Almost sounded "phasey" at times, but definitely treble boosted into a dimed amp. I have the AFXIII and I've been searching as well. It's my mission for the day. If I stumble on something good, I'll let y'all know.

I'm sure he was real big on using the guitar volume knob as well. And I believe he had the bridge pickup wired to the tone control. You didn't have a lot of options back in those days to change your tone. I also think -God forbid- you need to turn off any reverb and delay to get that clarity.

All this talk of Rory led me down a rabbit hole of memories ..... although too young to be aware of Taste while they were probably gigging a lot around here locally it made me think of a few musician ex-showband local legends with the 'Rory' stories I ended up watching playing in later bands and who inspired me to learn guitar well enough to play live. One guitarist being the late Billy McCoy - in fact the very first pub/club cover band I saw had him on his pink strat pumping out Eagles, Doobie Bros and Dire Straights. Up until his recent death Billy made himself known to any guitarist who played around the local circuit (he chased me round backstage at a multi band gig night once like a demented Uncle trying to tell me how to play friggin Run To You by Bryan Adams 'properly' but couldn't grasp that when he'd seen us playing on stage I'd forgotten my capo that night and - heroically I thought - improvised the riff in it's proper key without it!). Billy played in another showband back in the day and got to know Rory in Dublin and told him if he ever was coming to Belfast to form a band he could stay with him and his folks for a few days until he found his feet ..... Rory turned up on the doorstep a while later asking Billy's mother if he could stay a few days ...... and stayed 4 months.

I also then got to thinking how John Wilson (Taste drummer) was doing as he still lives locally too ..... which then made me think of who I'd seen John drumming for (usually just depping) back in the day ...... which took me chasing down Jim Armstrong (guitarist with Them - Van Morrison's band) .... which took me to seeing that Jim had moved to California and had sold his 59 Les Paul ... which now belongs to Mike McCready of Pearl Jam.

The most startling thing of all though that made me feel old was I remember being old enough to legally go into a pub/club to see Jim Armstrong playing that Les Paul with his covers band S'Kboo and it's burst colour was still very prominent back then!

Absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand .... sorry :)

He was an awesome player, and I’m sad that so many of today’s players have absolutely no idea who he was. I cut my teeth on Gallagher, Clapton, the Allmans, Jeff Beck, early Fleetwood Mac…
I remember a student wearing a Rory Gallagher Tee shirt in high school (1976). A lotta great tones in the era your speaking. I'm still working on the Allman Brother tones I'm hearing from the live album and the finger pickin' style of Lindsey Buckingham are choice cuts!

Baltimore somewhere about 74/75 on a Saturday afternoon. A much younger version of me was watching a local TV show that was hosted by a local DJ from WIYY that mostly featured local talent, but once in a while would get a national act that was touring the area to stop in. The performances were lip synched due to the restrictions of the studio. On this day the host introduced a band that were opening for a bigger act in town who demanded to play live. It was none other than Rory. The first time I or just about anyone in Baltimore I reckon ever heard of him. He played Hands Off and Walk On Hot Coals and immediately became of of my guitar hero's. I might be the only person still alive who remembers this, but it would be great to hear from someone who did.

Back
Top Bottom