Room sound on cab block?

Hi everyone,
My apologies if this has already been addressed. When I record a regular guitar/amp setup I have my speaker cab in another room and even when it's close mic'd it still manages to capture part of the room's sound which then becomes part of the main sound. After that, I then add a stereo reverb and place it in the mix.
I guess what I'm wishing for here is the ability to use 2 reverbs with the Ax8 which isn't possible at the moment. I was wondering if there'd be the possibility of having adjustable parameters in the speaker cab block that could emulate the cab being placed in a room of some kind? Perhaps even with the ability to move a room mic around the space?
Cheers,
Brett.

Is this THE Brett Garsed? Welcome!

On the Axe Fx there are some limited "room controls" on the Cab block. I don't have an AX-8, but I know there are some Axe Fx features that are not there and I think this is one.

The Axe-Fx has a Room parameter in the Cab block. It unfortunately could not make it to the AX8 due to CPU considerations. Some mix a Far-Field style IR in a Stereo cab block (not panned, just 2 IRs mixed) to get this sensation.

Agree with two cab IRs to get the desired effect. I've sampled this, with a slight delay between the two cabs. It's been helpful in getting me closer to that elusive but sought after tone found on the "space foam" track. Big fan, by the way.

A Delay block can be setup to sub for a Reverb pretty successfully. For a fairly low CPU cost too.

I can post a couple of presets with a couple of examples if you're interested? Then you can save them in your Delay block 'Library', or copy and paste them into other presets.

many of the cab packs have "rear" and"room" captures that you could use in a stereo cab block.

why not add a touch of convolution reverb in your DAW during mixdown?

Thanks for all the advice lads! I'd really like Fractal to consider making the room element a feature in the speaker cab block (I know it's in the AxeFX) for the Ax8 as it's such a valuable component in a guitar sound, or at least it is for people looking for a more old school kind of tone. I get that some of the IR's have room sounds but it'd be cool if the parameters of that were somewhat adjustable. By no means a criticism of the amazing machine that the Ax8 is, just an item for my wish list.

Hi brett, to complete what Moke said : Start with a digital mono delay, time 1-2ms, feedback zero, diff time 10%, then use mix and diffusion to control the size of room and phase effect. 100% diffusion erases the phase. Drive control excites and thickens the high freqs. Right post delay also acts as a stereo enhancer if needed. Last but not least you can tie a pitch modifier to control time, diffusion, mix, drive and attenuate or accentuate the characteristics of those reflections depending on the pitch of single notes.

Also, the multi-delay does pretty much the same. So you have 3 other sources than the reverb block for additional early reflections.

Last edited:
Gday Brett,
I agree - the room parameters in the axe fx are great for getting some realism. Hope (for you) they feel your pain and add them to the ax8!
Thanks
Pauly

Back
Top Bottom