Room settings in the cabinet block

shasha

Fractal Fanatic
Since there's been a handful of posts highlighting specific parameters, I thought that I'd bring up one of my favorites....the room tab.

Now I'm predominantly a headphone player so YMMV, but this is one of my favorite areas to add some size to my sound and to me it makes my headphones disappear. I can't seem to find any real information on this tab and I'm not really sure what the technical impact it has, but I think that it's sorely overlooked.

Next time you're playing with your headphones on, navigate on over to that tab (it's the 2nd one in the cab block) and just turn the room level to about 10 o'clock and see if you like it.

I have it on all my presets.. it seems to smooth out all the edges and put a little extra sheen on everything

I`m with you sasha! In comparison to Gen1, the Cab block has the most important improvements you`ll need to get similiar feeling like you have with an Amp in the real world: The feel and sound changing of predelay (and so: room reflections) is in my opinion the most underrated answer for "hey, why did this machine don`t sound like my real amp?". Real Amps are heard in real rooms with real early reflections, etc ... it is impossible to hear a real cabinet only for itselfs. It correspondent ever with the location ... and THIS combination is, what YOU hear (and feel!)! Even close miced cabinets in the real live have a subtle room information, so it`s absolutely helpful to dial a little (a little!!!!) room reverb into your patches - i do it all the time!

I heard our FOH-engineer: "I mostly like micing a real amp on stage, this sounds fattest.... ". On the last gig i simulate some room "air" in my live patches .... comment from FOH (who was not there, when we install the stage with our gear...) : "hey, you`ll play just with a modeller? no cabinet on stage?" ....

Playing with headphones let miss this room - and here we can get it easily back! In the past i did it on my standard by sacrifice a complete Reverb Block, just fade out the tail delay and adjust only room size, predelay and predelay level ... the room emulation in the cab block makes live much easier! Also, in my opinion the Proximity parameter is also underrated! When selecting a mic this parameter gives you fast control with excellent results, dialing in the correct bass-response balance to the rest ... Again: In the past i have to use all these GEQ / PEQ, Lo-Cut tricks, to get the the standard work. Now the proximity parameter does the job very well ...

Last edited:
+1
Totally agree. Especially for headphone listening, this is a "must have" feature. I love it!

If you crank it way up you can also simulate the extremely "roomy" reverb featured on Living Colour's classic tune Cult of Personality. Fun fun.

I have a friend going through Berklee's recording engineering school - he has always been into home/studio recording. Although he is an analog snob, it has been my goal to turn him around. I got my Axe II last month and since then I have been working on tones to send him. I recently send him some raw tracks I put on garageband - his one complaint was the lack of room sound. Ironically, the day we finally caught up on what he thought I had been freaking out about the room settings.

If one wishes to add a depth or that "wall of sound" to there tone, this is the place to find it. Whether you wanna emulate Zep's 3 mic system in Black Dog, some of that Black Key's "old amp in a room," or even that straight up raw room sound I always hear in "Freak" by Silverchair this is the place.

Next time you're playing with your headphones on, navigate on over to that tab (it's the 2nd one in the cab block) and just turn the room level to about 10 o'clock and see if you like it.

This will now be the standard for me.

Love it!

Definitely will have to "tinker" some more with it. Thanks for bringing it to attention shasha.

Back
Top Bottom