Rolls PM50s: useful device for monitoring

Thing is that many musicians still prefer physical mixer controls (P16M) to iPads and such.

Isn't Ultranet handy for those situations where the number of AUX buses don't suffice?

Thing is that many musicians still prefer physical mixer controls (P16M) to iPads and such.

Isn't Ultranet handy for those situations where the number of AUX buses don't suffice?
Totally valid perspective Yek...
I'm not suggesting our setup is ideal for all - it's not cheap.. but.. If you're a frequently gigging group of cover band weekend warriors like us (no illusions of grandeur or expected fame) then it works WELL!!.
We want as little setup as possible.. for example - after tonight's gig, we'll have done 9 gigs in the last 14 days (11 for the month of Sept alone). and we all have REAL jobs!!

Most venues we play NOW have House provided PA, we either send a L/R feed directly from the X32 or we split off the House snake into the X32 for monitors and let their FOH run FOH.
With the S16 and Producer we have 16 XLR (7 Stereo Mixes) outputs. Seven because we reserve 7/8 as L/R main outs.. We CAN also use the 6 x 1/4" AUX busses as additional mixes, but don't have the need so far. We have !N1-IN16 on S16 mapped to CH 17-32 on the X32, and OUT1-OUT4 mapped to x32 output busses 9-12. X32 busses 13-16 are still used for effect sends, and 7/8 for main L/R out, leaving OUT5-OUT8 unused on the S16..

My hookup is simple.. Mic and DI cables into my X32 channels. Then, I turn on my IEM receiver and adjust my mix from the M32Q app.. I'm wireless in and out.. done.

Again.. .doesn't work for everyone.. but I've been down the wired, Aviom, P16M, route .. and I no longer want to be reaching over and twiddling knobs to adjust levels when I can have an 8" tablet screen that lets me adjust and pan my IEM mix, and adjust the effect levels too...all at my finger tips.
My mix is essentially the same from gig to gig, so I'm not reaching over and adjusting much after the sound check..
Hopefully, someone can find this explanation helpful.
YMMV

PS: at one point I was wireless IEM, but Presonus 16.4-> P16I -> P16M -> Wireless IEM.
I have cat5 (ultranet) from mixer/P16I ->P16M. Wireless xmitter on top of case, P16M on top of that. Power supply to each and stereo cables to xmitter from P16M.. PITA to set up and tear down,
I'll take what I have now over that.. ANY day !!

I agree that tactile and wired can be more reliable and easier to a point. But the gigs for me typically require fast setup with little to no sound check. Reducing the cables and hardware needed helps tremendously, and phone/tablet control helps get rid of many things.

I would use the "aviom" setup for unrehearsed bands or rehearsal situations, and that sort of thing. But for a band who plays regularly, there usually isn't that much to adjust, so all that hardware, cable, and even the knobs sitting there just to turn a vocal down at the beginning of the night are too expensive in time and money to bring out for me.

I'm glad we have the options to run the rig we want though. I never imagined that all this would be so affordable so soon. My X32 rack is just so amazing in all its capabilities.

Ultranet is a fantastic option Behringer added to the low end market - really a shakeup. You'll never run out of aux mixes again.

On the flipside, I agree with s0c9 and Chris that the Behringer/Presonus/Yamaha iPad options are easier, more intuitive, and sometimes provide more control. Even when compared to the much more expensive Allen & Heath personal monitor mixers, not just the cheap Behringers.

I did a gig where we used a presonus we took the aux sends from snake into headphone amps like the ones in this thread and used the phone app to control out mixes. I def prefer the p16/aviom ect vs the phone app

Wow, another blatant Behringer copycat example (assuming the Rolls was first).
idk.. they've had a couple of these type of units out for a while now.. I've gone thru a couple of the HA series.. still have an HA4700 in my home rack for silent jammin with the guys..
Also have their earlier dual/single amp.. forget the model number and it's in a box somewhere.. so not going to try and find it. :)

If you somehow bind a headphone extension cable and your guitar cable together, a hard-wired in-ear system is not bad at all. Just keep the PM50 or whatever you use near your axe/AX8/etc input. Save like, $500-$2000 and have zero dropouts!

I use the jump audio system
http://www.jumpaudio.net/ixm.html

Sort of combines the Rolls and the 2 into 1 wire cable. It's pretty stable and I've definitely had a few head yanks when the wire ran out and no issues.
I use it as a backup to my wireless IEMs and can run a direct out from my X32 out into the jump and blend inside the x32 to send the right mix. For practice, we use a jamhub which also blends everyone appropriately.
For home, I just use an dual 1/4" mono Y to 1/4 stereo to plug into the Ax8 outs directly.

I use the jump audio system
http://www.jumpaudio.net/ixm.html

Sort of combines the Rolls and the 2 into 1 wire cable. It's pretty stable and I've definitely had a few head yanks when the wire ran out and no issues.
I use it as a backup to my wireless IEMs and can run a direct out from my X32 out into the jump and blend inside the x32 to send the right mix. For practice, we use a jamhub which also blends everyone appropriately.
For home, I just use an dual 1/4" mono Y to 1/4 stereo to plug into the Ax8 outs directly.

Nice but expensive (200$), especially if you consider that you need a 2nd cable as a back-up.

Back
Top Bottom