Rolling Stones- shady band security, never again.

Never said they couldn't post about whatever they want, and no, I am not sympathetic.

Lounge or not, it's a pointless tantrum. Nothing in the original post that was given to starting a conversation, just a whinging rant.

Therefore my reaction to the open ended thread is a realistic counterpoint. I'm not about to pat him on the back for not simply walking away fron the entire situation and moving on with his life. If he can cry up a storm about a security guy and an old lady and his not getting the piece of rail that he wanted, then I get to say what I want, too. He brought it here to the open forum. Neither he nor you get to decide in advance what course a conversation will take.

So, how about you take a lesson from that and let it go, or at least first ask yourself for what possible reason you have to self appoint yourself his pro bono attorney in the matter or what you hoped yo accomplish. If you want to give him a chat hug, by all means, go right ahead. You don't get tell me what I can and cannot say in reply. I was not abusive. I didn't devolve into ad hominem attacks. I simply stated my opinion. The fact that you don't like it interests me not at all. Feel free to click on my name and ignore me if you can't handle it.
Dude, look who’s crying up a storm. You’re bothered enough by someone’s post to go on and on. I can tell you whatever I want just like you’re doing and making an ass out of yourself.

I was able to get pit tickets to The Rolling Stones show in LA yesterday. The music was great and they played Ruby Tuesday. The experience was not and I will never attend a RS concert again. It’s a long story so warning…

I arrived at the venue and went to get my spot on the rail. Then it all went downhill from there. Some a-hole comes 20 minutes later pushing and shoving me claiming it’s his spot. We argue and he continues to push while venue security looks the other way and ignores the escalating situation. A-hole moves down a few spots. Then it comes out he’s selling his spot for some 80 year old lady who is supposedly a friend on the band.

He gets his venmo money and begins to walk away. Then the bands head of security, a bald guy named Chris?, goes over to him and they’re all “buddy”. It turns out Chris is getting a cut as they talk about business and Chris wants the old lady to have my spot, even though she’s only 4 people away from me and also on a rail. He comes over and begins asking me and a few other people if we could give up our spots and move around for this 1 lady. Another fan asked, “why are you moving people?”. Chris immediately became hostile and specifically said, “I can remove you from the venue. Is that what you want? I can do it”.

Chris then turns to me and asks “so?” At this point I realized he wouldl likely throw me out if I didn’t comply so I said sure if I can get a set list. He agreed and I never heard from him again as he ignored me the rest of the night while this old lady took up my spot. I ended up 2nd row and dealing with a bunch of idiots cutting in front of me the whole night.

I know it’s a bunch of BS because none of the band ever acknowledged this “lady” who was supposedly a good friend of the band. And if she was really friends, she would’ve been on the other side of the rail with band friends+family and backstage. End of story.

After paying $500 for the ticket and being treated like that as a fan, I have no intention of ever seeing them again.
That sucks, but from many friends experiences ( no first hand for me) over the last 40 years, that is a typical Stones concert.

Last edited:
Never said they couldn't post about whatever they want, and no, I am not sympathetic.

Lounge or not, it's a pointless tantrum. Nothing in the original post that was given to starting a conversation, just a whinging rant.

Therefore my reaction to the open ended thread is a realistic counterpoint. I'm not about to pat him on the back for not simply walking away fron the entire situation and moving on with his life. If he can cry up a storm about a security guy and an old lady and his not getting the piece of rail that he wanted, then I get to say what I want, too. He brought it here to the open forum. Neither he nor you get to decide in advance what course a conversation will take.

So, how about you take a lesson from that and let it go, or at least first ask yourself for what possible reason you have to self appoint yourself his pro bono attorney in the matter or what you hoped yo accomplish. If you want to give him a chat hug, by all means, go right ahead. You don't get tell me what I can and cannot say in reply. I was not abusive. I didn't devolve into ad hominem attacks. I simply stated my opinion. The fact that you don't like it interests me not at all. Feel free to click on my name and ignore me if you can't handle it.

Attachments

• Pedastal.jpg
    Pedastal.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 24
$500 for a ticket? you gotta be kidding. i saw saxon back in the day at the hammersmith odeon for £3.50 and had a total blast. ticket prices are completely ridiculous these days.

Crazy money, I'd like to go see them mainly just to tick them off the "seen" list, but those ticket prices..............!

A fool and his money... $500 bones to see a couple hours of music, made by 90 year old geezers wheezing and Geritol-ing around? No thanks.

Ticket prices are out of control in the 1st place, and seeing a few octogenarians pump through old hits is not my optimum use of a pile of money.

I'm glad I saw the Stones twice in '89 for a reasonable ticket price and was able to tick them off of my list...at this point someone would have to pay me to see them, especially with Charlie Watts now absent from the proceedings.

I saw Paul McCartney a couple of years ago and managed to get a ticket for $150 which I thought was crazy money, but I was about 15 feet directly in front of him in a crowd of over 40,000. Watching a Beatle perform iconic hit after hit, while being that close, was definitely worth it.

The Stones....at this point? Nah.....I'd rather use the money for a few Arby's double roast beef sandwiches, or a new leaf rake and some granular A aggregate fill to grade my house on the one side that needs it.

I can't get no....satisfaction....certainly rings true these days regarding the Stones.

$500 for a ticket? you gotta be kidding. i saw saxon back in the day at the hammersmith odeon for £3.50 and had a total blast. ticket prices are completely ridiculous these days.

The current situation with securing tickets is totally corrupt. It's a shame, too,
because it prevents a lot of kids (unless they have parents who are loaded)
from going to shows and seeing their fave bands and being inspired.

I saw plenty of shows (often 2 or 3 great bands) for less than $10 US when
I was a teenager. The best seats (which was standing General admission!)
would go to those who showed up the earliest and had the nuts to endure
standing up (and maybe not using the restroom!) for several hours.

Now the best seats are sold to the highest bidder, or secured for VIP types, and
kids like you and I once were have no chance in hell of getting within arm's
reach of their fave artists.

You all are so right about tickets prices. I have several old stubs that are all less than $10, the cheapest I believe is $6, for Gen'l Admission to the Capitol Centre in Largo, so these were big name acts.

I can, however, understand that part of it may be due to it being harder nowadays to make any money on actual music sales. I'm waiting for the new Dream Theater album to drop, and I have no doubt someone will post the whole thing on YT the day it does. I do like that that happens, so you can check it out, so to speak. But if I like the music, I'll pony up to have my own copy, if for no other reason than to support the musicians. $14 for a CD is still a good deal. (Yes, I still like CD's, lol!) But I'm not paying more than $100 to see anyone!

Going from $10 to $100 from the 80's to 40 years later isn't terrible, imo, especially when you compare how much crazier real estate is, and on the opposite end, that we've (in the US) had it pretty good when it comes to gasoline prices over that same time period. For example, something I paid attention to because I owned a diesel truck for 20 years, summer of 99 diesel was $1.05, and now it's around $3.50 where I live.

………I took two young hippie chicks to see the ‘75 Stones in one of the best triple bills in my life …. Chaka Khan w Rufus and Eagles (with not-yet member Joe climbing out of a coffin during the set and blowing the already-wasted crowd away with..yes…Rocky Mountain Way.)….and barely missed being at the bottom of a possibly Hells Angels invoked crowd melee/fisticuffs on the packed infield of the old Milwaukee County stadium where the Braves used to play…..wound up seeing a buddy w 2 empty. Seats . right on the 3rd base line and we joined him for rest of the acid soaked baccanalia with the best Stones guitarist Mick Taylor pushing the band further than I ever seen them since Live (though steel wheels was pretty good)

Good thing you weren't at the Altamont Speedway gig...
Ya, Altamont was a bad scene, but to me, the Stones peaked as a band in the Mick Taylor years (no offence to Ron Wood who I am a big fan of in the Faces)

Before the wild ticket prices, internet ticket sales etc started in the mid90s, I figured out (or happened upon) the fact that our local big venue (about 10k seats) would often release some "remainig" seats about 2 hours before a show started. A number of times I was thrilled to just walk up (past the scalpers) to the ticket window of a supposedly sold out show, the day of the show, and get great seats at regular price. More fond memories.

I understand your frustration completely. But this experience has nothing to do with the Stones. Two a-holes are playing a game for a few hundred $. Do you really see any interest here for the Stones? They've never even heard of any Chris.

Paying 500$ for any band is a crime on it's own.

I’ve been to a U2 GA. The fans have that stupid check in system where you get in a unofficial line 3 days before the show. Then the unofficial line somehow always becomes the real line. At least the bands employees aren’t forcefully putting people at the front.
The fan system is a good system, as in theory it should make life easy for everyone involved. Sadly there is no shortage of assholes who think they can skip any line and as a result all systems break down. I went to U2 in 2005, 2nd night in Amsterdam and the fans had formed an orderly line. I had no ticket, managed to buy one from somebody in the front of the fan line, got in the back and made it to one of the B-stages. Great show. Went to the Munich show a month later, expecting German good organization skills, instead I found the Wild West. No fan lines, everyone for themselves. And I got screwed by security as in all the other entry ports security people weren't giving a damn, letting everyone run through, no, my entry port was the only one patting everyone down. So I didn't make it into the inner center. God was I pissed!
The ticketmasters of the world noticed that people were willing to pay a 100, no 200 for tickets, so they adjusted the prices accordingly.

I'm glad I saw the Stones twice in '89 for a reasonable ticket price and was able to tick them off of my list...at this point someone would have to pay me to see them, especially with Charlie Watts now absent from the proceedings.

I saw Paul McCartney a couple of years ago and managed to get a ticket for $150 which I thought was crazy money, but I was about 15 feet directly in front of him in a crowd of over 40,000. Watching a Beatle perform iconic hit after hit, while being that close, was definitely worth it.

The Stones....at this point? Nah.....I'd rather use the money for a few Arby's double roast beef sandwiches, or a new leaf rake and some granular A aggregate fill to grade my house on the one side that needs it.

I can't get no....satisfaction....certainly rings true these days regarding the Stones.
The Rolling Stones ceased being relevant in the 80's. At that point every new album was just an excuse to go on tour and charge a lot of money to play their greatest hits. Granted, they were relevant from the 60's into the 80's, quite an accomplishment, but at some point fans should have gone this is no longer worth the money. Might as well go see a tribute band.
The current situation with securing tickets is totally corrupt. It's a shame, too,
because it prevents a lot of kids (unless they have parents who are loaded)
from going to shows and seeing their fave bands and being inspired.

I saw plenty of shows (often 2 or 3 great bands) for less than $10 US when
I was a teenager. The best seats (which was standing General admission!)
would go to those who showed up the earliest and had the nuts to endure
standing up (and maybe not using the restroom!) for several hours.

Now the best seats are sold to the highest bidder, or secured for VIP types, and
kids like you and I once were have no chance in hell of getting within arm's
reach of their fave artists.
I often went early, when the fan line system was still strong and you could leave the line to get a toilet break, And then around 14:00-15:00 the assholes would show up and don't give a damn about the fan line system. So that was the time to stop drinking so you could stay in line and hold your place in line.

And yes, as seats are now going to people with stupid amounts of money or corporations treating their clients to a concerts I no longer care about going to such concerts. Or about those bands that indulge in them.

The Rolling Stones ceased being relevant in the 80's. At that point every new album was just an excuse to go on tour and charge a lot of money to play their greatest hits.

Yup, they've been a greatest hits machine for three+ decades now. I was glad I saw them when Bill Wyman was still in the band and "Steel Wheels" was their last decent record IMO, but I've had zero interest in seeing them since...especially with the ticket prices the way they've been for the last few years.

I used to go out and see "Greatest Hits" bands just for the road trip and for the 'event' itself, even if I wasn't all that into the band, but that costs serious $$$ now and has for a while so I just pass. I'm not into spending hundreds of dollars on bands way past their shelf life who phone it in just to pad their retirement, particularly if they are already gazillionairs.

I remember Mick/the Stones saying, a few years ago, that they saw how much $$$ scalpers were charging and how people were still buying them in droves so they might as well be the ones getting all of that fat cash instead of the scalpers. Boom....that was the start of the $500+ face value Stones tickets IIRC...I guess I can understand that but I'm having absolutely no part of it...

As to the OP, sorry to hear of your bad experience...I'd be cranky and want to vent too if that happened to me.

Back
Top Bottom