Rolling Stones patches: need help!!!

GuttaLaser

Power User
Hi AXElized PPL

need 2 kickass patches for "Honky Tonk Woman" and "Start Me Up" (direct to the mixer)
Any help.. suggestion... patches... are welcome!!!
TNX

Yes, open-G tuning is a must. It drives me crazy to listen to cover bands play these songs in standard tuning.

I've never been able to get a good Start me Up tone. There's definitely something special about the way that one rings and the reverb.

Open G

Either of these two amps will get you there with minimal tweaking (just use the amps - no OD pedal needed).

5F1 Tweed
Deluxe Tweed

Just find the sweet spot right at the edge of break-up and you will be good to go!

TNx sooo much PPL!
Ok... alternate open G tuning... and... well ... don't want rip off a string ;-) and then a slighty crunchy Tweed amp model (maybe with a super-short slapback tape delay and a plate verb... and just a touch of comp).
The same for Honky Tonk Woman too?

Yes. Both are in Open G, which is really the biggest part of the equation. No need to take off the low e-string. Just don't use it or tune it to a D.

There's a ton of Stones classics in this tuning...
Ok tnx... and what about the tone? same amps?... more grit?

I never got too hung up on trying to match the tones exactly. Which tone do you want to match? The original recordings, Get Your Ya Ya's Out? 81 Tour? etc... Both songs can be played effectively with the same sound. The original recording of Start Me Up has such a distinctive sound that it would be very hard to match - I've never been able to get anything that sounded like the original recording. As others have said, the 5F1 Tweed, Deluxe Tweed, or Double Verb will get you in the ballpark. Really, as soon as you start playing those songs in Open-G they will come to life and sound so much more like the originals that the actually tone will become secondary IMO - as long as you don't use too much gain.

People often say the musical techniques of early blues came about from having to deal with really poor instruments. The necks were so bad and the string action so high that open tunings, slide and so on were the only way to get around this. While the vibe and soul of the music was a reaction to the horrific adversity of social circumstance, the technical aspects were too.

Keith Richards carries on this fine tradition of music born from adversity. He has to cope with a severe lack of technical ability and being very, very drunk :D

Last edited:
yeah... alcool... sex 'n drugs... poor instruments... poor technical approach...
...but... it's R'nR ! and I like it! :devilish:

I realize this thread is quite old, haha, but I was able to successfully get the "Start Me Up" tone in my band with a real Fender Twin Reverb dead clean, Fender Strat middle pickup, and the secret sauce was a Strymon Deco with a doubletrack chorus setting. I'm not sure if the Axe-FX II has this capability or not. Lastly, when you play it you have to strike the stings aggressively and let it ring.

For "Honky Tonk Woman" there's nothing fancy about this one. I again use a Twin Reverb clean, Strat middle pickup, along with a Klon Centaur for dirt. He used very light fingerpicking on it.

this is something I use for getting that flavour of sound. hope it can help. I use a II XL+ you may have to convert it with fractool depending on your version of axe fx. Cheers, Perry

Attachments

• Keef.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom