Roll back or not? Undecided

I honestly think V10 has brought us a lot closer to amp in a room feel and sound more than ever. Polished is great but when jamming with the guys nothing cuts and sounds as good as a cranked Tube head, high end head - Until.. V10. I've been tweaking to get a good real cab sound and FRFR. Almost there.

If we're close to modelling perfection, shouldn't adding a mic sim to a v10 amp/cab (without mic sim), or adding a mic'd iR sim to a v10 amp, take the tone from amp in a room to mic'd amp tone (more polished).

I don't see how the same model config can yield both of the these at this point in the evolution of the Axe. Shouldn't we be trying to move the product toward the ability to do both easily:

- Amp + Un-Mic'd cab ir sim to move the tone toward amp-in-room.
- Amp + Mic'd cab ir sim to move the tone toward more polished tone of a remotely mic'd amp.

Seems to me that moving the amp/cab sims back and forth between raw and polished tones will never arrive to a point that will satisfy every one.

Personally I think most people don't take to the time to learn the new firmware (like you I'm gathering) before they freak out and scream it sounds different. If you don't like and
don't want to learn the tool just roll back yourself and quit bitching about it.

I think encouragement is more in order.....clearly the op is not bashing v.10

v.10 is a DRASTIC change and upgrade compared to previous fw!

I suggest throwing out all our previous ideas and workings with regard to the parameters and tweak from scratch.
Read up on just exactly how the old standard controls have changed and also in particular how the new added controls work. IRs of course can and usually are the key!

if you are not too much into in depth advanced tweaking just stick with the basic controls outline by others but tweak from scratch and all the while in bearing mind that v.10.xx is a different and way BETTER beast!! ......oh...and of course enjoying the ride! (Bumps and all!!)

While your at it.....don't overlook Scott Peterson's insightful thread a v.10 synopsis! Great.
Especially on the workings of the advance tabs on the amp block.

Really enjoying v.10!!
My words of encouragement!

I never use factory presets unless they have some cool effects, but never the amps. I haven't even loaded the FW10 factory presets.
I love the sounds I'm getting. so I keep writing over the factory presets when I make a new patch and I'm already have at 120.
Besides, they won't sound the same unless you have the same pickups, power amp, speakers, etc.

Personally I think most people don't take to the time to learn the new firmware (like you I'm gathering) before they freak out and scream it sounds different. If you don't like and
don't want to learn the tool just roll back yourself and quit bitching about it.

You seem to be intent on ignoring the content of this discussion and just want to use it as forum for making smart-arsed comments which actually make you look stupid by exposing your ignorance.

This is a sensible discussion about the relative merits of the two firmware versions, if you have nothing sensible to add then move on.

Reactions: Ole
Well, I'm so new I only know 10. It also appears Coldsummer is not alone, so I'm curious.

Is there anything required to try older FW other than:

1. Back up current system

2. Install older FW

3. Load appropriate factory banks

Well, I'm so new I only know 10. It also appears Coldsummer is not alone, so I'm curious.

Is there anything required to try older FW other than:

1. Back up current system

2. Install older FW

3. Load appropriate factory banks

Yes, if you have user cabs in slot 51-100 you have to manually back those up.

You seem to be intent on ignoring the content of this discussion and just want to use it as forum for making smart-arsed comments which actually make you look stupid by exposing your ignorance.

This is a sensible discussion about the relative merits of the two firmware versions, if you have nothing sensible to add then move on.

actually his comment is spot on regarding most people's issues with V10.

Without resetting the amp type back and forth I've found the following to be useful in getting 9.02 tones in 10.05:

Lower the graphic EQ on the three lowest (farthest to left) from 1-.25db.

Lower dynamic depth

Raise dynamic pres

Adjust speaker drive

Adjust low cut in cab block

Add some thump

Lower master volume

Not all things work on all presets, but using these and doing an a/b comparison between my two units on each FW, thus us best sduve I can provide.

I wouldn't panic and revert just yet. I was thinking Cliff was working on something for us pre-V10 lovers. Maybe we don't even need that?

I did a little show the other night with V10 and it cut thru just like I was used to with V8.
Same as usual Global EQ adjustments and a little in the amp block and it sounded like I had a wall of Marshals with vintage 30's behind me.
It really was a great tone and verry insperational.

What an awesome rig the Axfx......

But I still would like the processed "sounds like the album" tones available I was getting with V8.

I'm just amazed that people don't like FW10, but we should respect that fact that some don't like it and prefer FW9.2. When I upgraded to FW10 I was a bit dissappointed that that Brown Brit didn't sound the same and I started to use the Friedman HB/HBE which I feel it's much better than the previous FW.
I decided to try Brown Brit again and really work on it, now I feel it's much better. Once you learn how to tweak it and how the new parameters work it made sense to me what Cliff was trying to accomplish with FW 10

I left my Singer/Rhythm Guitarist on 9.02 and I was on 10.02 for my Last Practice.
Both were very close. But I thought 10 was a little bit better. FW9 is still very good.
However, I think it is worth the effort to get the Patches up to 10 because then you will eventually have a Working Axe Edit.

Sometimes your Memory of something might be remembering something greater than it was.
I was lucky enough to get a side by side comparison with myself running 10 and my singer running 9
Granted I tweaked my 10 patches to get back where I was at 9.
I also changed Cabinets on a few of my Patches. My Main Diezel VH4 Ch3 Patch changed from a Factory Greenback to a Factory SLM to get back to "My Sound"

Why bit just select version 9 modelling in the global men u or just turn off mimic? Everyones knee jerk reaction is to roll back firmware without realizing you can revert right from the menu.

before I was able to reprogram all my patches when I upgraded to firmware 10 i tried rolling back to firmware 7 in the global menu which was the version I was using before the upgrade and my patches sounded nothing like they did before the update. I don't think it's as simple as just using the global menu though I really wish it was because I would probably run firmware 7, 8 or maybe even 9 live but definitely use 10 in the studio because I think thats really where the new version shines (atleast for how i use the Axe).

I have no doubt that the sounds I want live are and firmware 10 somewhere I just found it easier to get there in firmware 7.but what I am gaining in sound quality when I am recording with firmware 10 makes it worth it to take the time to learn to use 10 live.

before I was able to reprogram all my patches when I upgraded to firmware 10 i tried rolling back to firmware 7 in the global menu which was the version I was using before the upgrade and my patches sounded nothing like they did before the update. I don't think it's as simple as just using the global menu though I really wish it was because I would probably run firmware 7, 8 or maybe even 9 live but definitely use 10 in the studio because I think thats really where the new version shines (atleast for how i use the Axe).

I have no doubt that the sounds I want live are and firmware 10 somewhere I just found it easier to get there in firmware 7.but what I am gaining in sound quality when I am recording with firmware 10 makes it worth it to take the time to learn to use 10 live.

I think some of the factory IR's got updated so chances are that might be a big reason for the difference

is there any functionality of axe-edit and 9.02? can you at least move things around in axe-manage? I'd be happy just to do that

Its all in the IR's... and advance parameters :) any sounds polished studio, real amp etc. its there..................At times I find myself clinging to old ideals, then I change to a new amp boom love it. I used to worship Mark Day patches, HBE now I cant get it to sound like when he played "hungry" my favorite riff, in his motel room. Oh well, moved on to uber, powerball, Marshal jvm, fryette, dizzy etc etc etc.

I agree. The right ir's make a world of difference, at least in my experience.

I would recommend you to try the following (in the following sequence) if you miss some of the tone from v9: a) experiment with new cabs, even though everything will sound vastly different at first b) on the advanced page, turn triode hardness to zero and turn of mimic; c) roll back to v 9 on the modeling version option in the global menu. Cliff PM'ed me these settings (also mentioned in numerous threads here) as an answer to me moaning about the things I missed after updating to v10. This has worked really nice with a couple of the amps I use, particularly setting triode hardness to zero -- I'm happy with modelling version 10 after fiddling with triode hardness, so I'm not rolling back to v9. v10 offers so much goodness in a lot of the other amps.

Also, what made a whole bunch of difference was to ditch my old favourite cabinets and trying new ones. I wasn't aware of it until recently, but most of the cabs have been reworked from v9 to v10, making my old go-to cabs a big part of why the amp didn't feel right to me. I'm particularly fond of the new Ownhammers. Changing cabs really made the most difference.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed some useful information, I am truly grateful. I also understand those who express frustration with people who can't get on with V10, although I hoped I had made it clear I'm not bitching or moaning in ant way, just wanting to get the tones that suit me.

I've temporarily rolled back to V9 but I intend to go back to V10 soon. My plan is to spend a bit of time with 9 just to dig a bit deeper and get some idea of what exactly it is I liked so much and look at the various settings then go back to 10 and try to replicate these.

Fwiw, as soon as I tried some of the 9 presets they sounded fantastic and individual notes have a musical and pleasing bloom, exactly as I remembered, which was kind of disappointing as I hoped it was just my memory playing tricks. Having said that, there is a definite lack of sparkle and grit compared to 10 which is altogether more lively, so much as I like 9, I will definitely be going back to 10. For me it has been a really interesting experiment so thanks again to everyone who has offered advice.

One final thought, for everyone who loves 10, I would say remember when 9 was the best tones we ever had, well it hasn't suddenly become useless of obsolete because of 10, they are just different, and everyone is entitled to their own preference, it's not case of better or worse and shouldn't be played out as such.

Back
Top Bottom