Roll back or not? Undecided

Coldsummer

Experienced
For me 9.02 was an amazing experience, the best tones ever and an absolute joy to play. I've been trying to recapture some of that with V10 ever since it was released but no matter how I try there's always a nagging doubt. I just don't get the same feeling as I did before. In particular, the Mr Floyd patch from 9.02 was simply magical for me, but in 10 it just seems watered down somehow and lacks the dynamics and depth. Same goes for the two stone amp, it seems to turn into grit even at low gain levels whereas in 9.02 it had full-bodied creaminess with loads of headroom.

The fly in the ointment is the incredible tones in Fremen's V10 patches which are better than anything I've ever used before so I know 10 has the goods which is why I have some doubts about rolling back, but I just can't seem to replicate the feel of my own, and some of the factory presets, from 9.02. And I also really like having axe edit again although I'm pretty good at the front panel now.

BTW, this isn't a pi55y whine about 10 not being any good, it clearly is amazing, and so is 9.02, I just don't know which one is the right fit for me. I guess it's a good problem to have.

Does anyone have Fremen's 9.02 patches? Maybe that would be the best of both worlds?

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I'd love to know if anyone else knows what 'm talking about regarding the Mr Floyd patch and the two stone sim.

I completely agree on the Fremen's V10 patches. Had a play around with them last night - some fantastic stuff in there. For me, I hated the new v10 sounds when it first come out (and, yes, it destroyed the sound of my patches and caused much pain). However, I decided to live with them, re-program them and see what happened. Now I really cannot remember what the 9.02 ones sounded like. I think the bottom line is that FAS are bringing out more and more updates and if I stayed on v9.02 then would, at some point, be missing some serious goodies at some point down the line. Some of the amp sims in V10 aren't really my thing - some have not 'improved' to my ears, but some have. Then and again, how many times have I bought an amp, loved the sound, then got bored of it after a while and heard something better. Hmm....many times being the answer.

I'd stick with v10 and see if you can shape the sound from there. The Axe-FX is one of the most powerful units out there to do whatever you want it (if not THE most powerful). I'd spend the time getting the v10 stuff sounding the way you want it. It will be worth it and then, when Cliff has another revelation, you won't be lagging behind and thinking "Darn, I wish I'd stuck with this". Just my feelings anyway. :)

I have downloaded and used Fremens presets (a number of them and a few of them in on stage) since V6 or 7. Loved the V9 but I think V10 is even better. Listen to the U2 patches, the lead tone in his "autosynth" patch or Vai style patch "tender surrender". Those are MY favorites.

also dont forget factory presets Bank A 1 to 40 or so. Some really good stuff in there. Sounded pretty awesome for me anyway. Basic amps, basic rock!

I also have "fxxk this, I am moving back to V9"-days but trying to learn more about how this box works and how to get the best out of it. The number of knobs and buttons are just overwhelming, so when I need to do some tone adjustment I am sticking to

Change IR
EQ in Amp block
Amp voicing
High Cut on amp and/or Cab block
Filter block and/or EQ blocks in the signal chain

Thanks guys, I don't really want to roll back for the reasons you have mentioned, and Fremen's patches prove that 10 is awesome. I may revisit 9.02 just to get it out of my system. If it recaptures the magic feeling then I may hang there for a while. I really hope it won't sound quite as good as my memory tells me then I can go back to 10.

I've said it before, I'm not a programmer or techie, just an old fashioned guitarist with limited studio skills and I think that may well be the root of the issue. I know when something sounds and feels good though, and in 9.02 it was there with minimal tweaking.

I'll post an update once I make a decision. Cheers guys.

Where can a new user with a unit that shipped with 10 download earlier FW versions and appropriate banks?

Is there a place to download the original 9.02 firmware, link?

Obviously you can go back to 9.xx with v10, but I wondered of there is a direct link to 9.02 - anywhere?

Im getting mine next week im assuming with FW 10, but this does sound annoying; I sold my kemper because it sounded "TOO" realistic, in the sense I couldnt get the type of "unrealistic" amp tweaking like the Ultra did.. now with this MIMIC junk, sounds like I may need to stay on 9 also.

does axe-edit even work on FW 9?? I keep hearing it hasnt worked since like FW 6, but recently updated in FW 10??

Im getting mine next week im assuming with FW 10, but this does sound annoying; I sold my kemper because it sounded "TOO" realistic, in the sense I couldnt get the type of "unrealistic" amp tweaking like the Ultra did.. now with this MIMIC junk, sounds like I may need to stay on 9 also.

does axe-edit even work on FW 9?? I keep hearing it hasnt worked since like FW 6, but recently updated in FW 10??

Whoa, steady on big boy. Nobody ever said mimic was junk, nor is v10, far from it. If you find the amp models in V10 are simply too realistic then with the AXE-FX you have the fantastic option to roll back to a different version without mimic. Either way you will be fortunate enough to own the best guitar amp modeling device on the planet bar none.

We can disable MIMIC in the amp parameters. Anyway, there are so many possibilities to tweak an amp that it's still possible to make it sound not realistic at all.

Current Axe-Edit doesn't work well with firmware 9.

I sold my kemper because it sounded "TOO" realistic

Hmmm. It would be impossible to guess what you're shooting for based on this, except that you seem to dislike traditional amp sounds. Certainly the Axe II provides more control. You can practically design your own amp in the Axe II.

Hmmm. It would be impossible to guess what you're shooting for based on this, except that you seem to dislike traditional amp sounds. Certainly the Axe II provides more control. You can practically design your own amp in the Axe II.

and thats why I went with the Axe over the Kemper.. I just hope it doesnt lose that ability.. I could care less if it sounds "135% like a tube amp".

But like my Ultra, I'l probably stick with the Fractal amp sims, rather than the ones based on real amps, besides a select few like the Lonestar.

and thats why I went with the Axe over the Kemper.. I just hope it doesnt lose that ability.. I could care less if it sounds "135% like a tube amp".

But like my Ultra, I'l probably stick with the Fractal amp sims, rather than the ones based on real amps, besides a select few like the Lonestar.

The ability to design your own amp is actually enhanced by the new features/parameters in v10: tube type, dynamic presence, dynamic depth, character, and thunk. I'd be very surprised if you were disappointed.

Its all in the IR's... and advance parameters :) any sounds polished studio, real amp etc. its there..................At times I find myself clinging to old ideals, then I change to a new amp boom love it. I used to worship Mark Day patches, HBE now I cant get it to sound like when he played "hungry" my favorite riff, in his motel room. Oh well, moved on to uber, powerball, Marshal jvm, fryette, dizzy etc etc etc.

Why bit just select version 9 modelling in the global men u or just turn off mimic? Everyones knee jerk reaction is to roll back firmware without realizing you can revert right from the menu.

Why bit just select version 9 modelling in the global men u or just turn off mimic? Everyones knee jerk reaction is to roll back firmware without realizing you can revert right from the menu.

I think people have tried but they said it sounded different :idk:

Unfortunately it isn't that straightforward otherwise people would do that first don't you think? More a case of knee jerk reply without really knowing what you are talking about.

Unfortunately it isn't that straightforward otherwise people would do that first don't you think? More a case of knee jerk reply without really knowing what you are talking about.

Personally I think most people don't take to the time to learn the new firmware (like you I'm gathering) before they freak out and scream it sounds different. If you don't like and
don't want to learn the tool just roll back yourself and quit bitching about it.

Back
Top Bottom