Roland sound cloud/VST's (synths)

Chewie5150

Fractal Fanatic
For you keys players out there , is anyone using Roland cloud products? I've heard some say to be wary using their cloud manager...reports of it being spyware basically though their synths emulations are pretty amazing. I was thinking of grabbing the Roland D-50 lifetime key for a few key sounds. I also see that Omnisphere includes some of the D-50 sounds...i'm not sure if its all of them or just a best hits collection in there. If it contained all it'd be tempting to grab Omnisphere. Buying D-50 lifetime key from Roland would set me back about $225 CAD. And that's just one synth. I've long thought about Omnisphere but not really ready to drop over $500 and I already have Steinberg Halion 7, and lots of Native Instruments libraries. You can never have too many synths though.

Last edited:
I tried an ultimate subscription for a year and enjoyed it, but after the first year something went weird on the renewal or they changed policies or something and I could only load like 3 plugins at once, including ones I had lifetime subs for so I axed it.

@GlennO may be able to address your Omnisphere question.

This little guy scratches my D-50 itch...
https://www.roland.com/ca/products/d-05/

For you keys players out there , is anyone using Roland cloud products? I've heard some say to be wary using their cloud manager...reports of it being spyware basically though their synths emulations are pretty amazing. I was thinking of grabbing the Roland D-50 lifetime key for a few key sounds. I also see that Omnisphere includes some of the D-50 sounds...i'm not sure if its all of them or just a best hits collection in there. If it contained all it'd be tempting to grab Omnisphere. Buying D-50 lifetime key from Roland would set me back about $225 CAD. And that's just one synth. I've long thought about Omnisphere but not really ready to drop over $500 and I already have Steinberg Halion 7, and lots of Native Instruments libraries. You can never have too many synths though.

Eric Persing, the head of Spectrasonics, is the guy who created all those iconic D50 sounds :). The collection of D50 sounds included in Omnisphere can be considered an expertly curated set of the best of the D50, plus it includes a ton of other '80's style sounds.

When I don't have my guitar hat on, secretly I'd love both Omnisphere and Trillian. Just never got up the momentum to spend what they'd cost. Nice instruments though!

I couldn't do my job without Omnisphere and Keyscape. Omni in particular is overwhelming at first, far more complex than Fractal for example, but its power is unmatched. It's very different from the "Arturia" paradigm where you have a virtual representation of a hardware synth on screen that you can interact with.

I use both paradigms all the time, they’re just different tools.

I’m not a fan of subscriptions, I prefer to just buy and own the tools I use.

Last edited:
I couldn't do my job without Omnisphere and Keyscape. Omni in particular is overwhelming at first, far more complex than Fractal for example, but its power is unmatched. It's very different from the "Arturia" paradigm where you have a virtual representation of a hardware synth on screen that you can interact with.
Keyscape is awesome. I love it.

The cloud synths sound great but are very CPU heavy

I found a cheap little mc101 gives me basically all the same zencore engine stuff well enough to where I don’t need the unlimited subscription and a dozen synths all just to get a Roland style pad sound

I pulled the trigger on the D-50 off Roland. Spent few hours with it yesterday. Sounds great. And its not a subscription which I won't do. Life time key. I still plan on Omni but perhaps later in the year. I hear so many good things about it

Thanks for the kind words about Omnisphere and Keyscape and Trilian. Keyscape in particular was a labor of love. I'm sure the Roland D50 Cloud is a great version of a great synth.

I pulled the trigger on the D-50 off Roland. Spent few hours with it yesterday. Sounds great. And its not a subscription which I won't do. Life time key. I still plan on Omni but perhaps later in the year. I hear so many good things about it

If you can find a D05 boutique you can directly transfer and save all the d50 cloud stuff right into it. I used the cloud vst as a sort of editor and librarian for a bunch of patches (tons on the net too free) and then once I had my d05 loaded up, canceled and just stick with the hardware

If you can find a D05 boutique you can directly transfer and save all the d50 cloud stuff right into it. I used the cloud vst as a sort of editor and librarian for a bunch of patches (tons on the net too free) and then once I had my d05 loaded up, canceled and just stick with the hardware
I've been looking into this D05 boutique. Would love to have one but used prices for these seem pretty inflated at the moment. I guess Roland also has a newer JD08 module and they seem more readily available and cheaper too. I read somewhere that the JD08 sounds were based of the D50 though I doubt it will have the same character

Last edited:
I've been looking into this D05 boutique. Would love to have one but used prices for these seem pretty inflated at the moment. I guess Roland also has a newer JD08 module and they seem more readily available and cheaper too. I read somewhere that the JD08 sounds were based of the D50 though I doubt it will have the same character

Jd08 is just using zencore like the mc101 etc, not the actual sample data from the old JDs. Can’t load JD patches etc. not a bad synth, but the form factor isn’t great as they have so much in such a little size. Main issue is the 4 digit LCD just doesn’t give any any idea what your working with

The d05 is pretty much a 1:1 copy and has all the original waveforms, even the expansion cards. Still pain to edit, like the original but at least had a real LCD display and patch names and stuff

Jd08 is just using zencore like the mc101 etc, not the actual sample data from the old JDs. Can’t load JD patches etc. not a bad synth, but the form factor isn’t great as they have so much in such a little size. Main issue is the 4 digit LCD just doesn’t give any any idea what your working with

The d05 is pretty much a 1:1 copy and has all the original waveforms, even the expansion cards. Still pain to edit, like the original but at least had a real LCD display and patch names and stuff
I have the D05 on my radar. Will keep an eye out for one used if they come down in price at all. I won't spend more than $500 on one and that's even stretching it. Shame Roland didn't make more

I'm not certain but I seem to remember I paid $480 CAD for my D05 new. I think they retailed for $599 or something when they first released. I bought it after it had been out for a year or so, and I was just keeping my eye out whenever I'd pop into any brick and mortar music store.
Now I need something to scratch my DX-7 itch. There's something about some of those FM sounds that are just magic.

Back
Top Bottom