Roland JC-40 + FM3 = Nice Live Option

TheloniusJ

Experienced
I just wanted to share with group that I recently gave this combo a try and was pleasantly surprised. There is a separate thread on the AxeFx-III forum which you can find here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/roland-jc-120-as-a-powered-cab.172265/

Below is what I posted on that thread. Thought some might be interested in my impressions of this option.

I just discovered that I really dig running my FM3 into my JC-40. I had lent this out before I got my FM3 and just got it back, so thought I'd give it a try. I was very pleasantly surprised.

I ran my FM3 into the front panel inputs from the FM3 output 2. I think it sounds fantastic. The JC preamp is pretty non-coloring and accepts line level signal well (tons of headroom). I used the tone controls to tweak the tone a bit to my liking.

It doesn't sound good without the cab sim IMO, so I left a cab block in the chain.

For what it is worth, I think I get a better live representation of what I hear in my headphones (MDR-7506s) using the JC-40 than with my Headrush 108s. I know that sounds strange, but this was my initial impression. I have really found I need to use a PEQ to get what I want with the 108s, and honestly am not usually that happy with what I get.

The JC 100% gives a better live amp feel than the Headrush. It just feels better.

Lastly, running in stereo does actually come across pretty well with the JC. It obviously doesn't have the same separation as the two 108s when they are a distance apart, but it provides some nice dimensionality to the sound while keeping that tight amp punch (which tends to be lacking with the 108s).

I agree! I recommended the JC-40 to a friend who needed/wanted a clean pedal platform. He’s a very non-technical analog sort of guy. When it arrived I helped him set things up and was super impressed at how nice it sounded. It has plenty of routing options and is quite capable of producing an incredible amount of sound for a small package.

I just wanted to share with group that I recently gave this combo a try and was pleasantly surprised. There is a separate thread on the AxeFx-III forum which you can find here: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/roland-jc-120-as-a-powered-cab.172265/

Below is what I posted on that thread. Thought some might be interested in my impressions of this option.
Have you tried leaving the Power Amp Modelling and Cab Sim Modelling on on the FM3 and then running the FM3 Out into the JC40 EFX Loop In.

I realize that it doesn't have FRFR speakers but I would think a little bit of judicious EQ'ing in your presets and this could sound pretty awesome ?

Ben

Have you tried leaving the Power Amp Modelling and Cab Sim Modelling on on the FM3 and then running the FM3 Out into the JC40 EFX Loop In.

I realize that it doesn't have FRFR speakers but I would think a little bit of judicious EQ'ing in your presets and this could sound pretty awesome ?

Ben
So I haven't tried just going into the returns (e.g. bypassing the JC's preamp), though I had tried that with my Elevenrack in the past.

However, I've left both power amp modeling and a cab block in place in my presets. From my past experience, the sound you get going direct into the effect returns and via the front panel is remarkably close with all tone controls at noon. Surprising, but as I said, the preamp of the JC doesn't add much color.

I really just like the idea of having some live tone control on the amp. I can also nudge my volume from the amp the way I have it set up.

Regardless, I'll try going directly into the returns sometime later just to check it out.

Interesting, wondering about the smallest offering from Roland, the JC-20, seems to be identical, just smaller speakers and power.....

Interesting, wondering about the smallest offering from Roland, the JC-20, seems to be identical, just smaller speakers and power.....

I played a JC120 for years, loud amp which worked great for gigging but was very heavy (it was an older one). Note the numeric part of the name is the stereo wattage rating (for the stereo models, there was actually a mono model at some point as well). So a JC120 is 2x60 watts and a JC20 would be 2X10 watts, so for home play probably work great but doubtful to be loud enough for much else.

EDIT: To be clear, the wattage rating is accurate on these amps but not how power amps are typically rated as it does not bridge. So for example, a stereo power amp might be rated at 100 watts bridged mono and 2x50 stereo, the JC does not bridge so you are always running in stereo (or really dual mono, stereo when the chorus is engaged or is using the stereo inputs)

Last edited:
Interestingly they don't seem to make the JC-20 anymore. They have the JC-22 available, which (breaking the pattern) is 30W total. 6.5 inch speakers, which I assume may not be the best for gigging (as @Will Chen suggests)

Also as indicated with the numbering convention, the JC-40 is 40W (2x20). For what it is worth, this amp is a very nice "bedroom" amp, but is actually loud enough for most gigging needs. When I first got it, I was playing with a pretty loud metal band and this amp was "almost" enough to keep up, but not quite (the other guitarist had a 50W tube 5150). I later did employ it at a gig where I was the only guitarist and we didn't have FOH. I slaved it from my Katana 100w mainly to get a fuller sound by having it on the other side of the stage. I actually used a TC Mimiq to get a bit more dimension out of the set-up.

Anyway, at 35lb, the JC-40 is such a nice loud transparent amp. It will definitely be my preferred option if I go jam somewhere and may just use it on live gigs even when going FOH with the FM3. Just to get that standing next to my amp feel.

Interestingly they don't seem to make the JC-20 anymore. They have the JC-22 available, which (breaking the pattern) is 30W total. 6.5 inch speakers, which I assume may not be the best for gigging (as @Will Chen suggests)

Also as indicated with the numbering convention, the JC-40 is 40W (2x20). For what it is worth, this amp is a very nice "bedroom" amp, but is actually loud enough for most gigging needs. When I first got it, I was playing with a pretty loud metal band and this amp was "almost" enough to keep up, but not quite (the other guitarist had a 50W tube 5150). I later did employ it at a gig where I was the only guitarist and we didn't have FOH. I slaved it from my Katana 100w mainly to get a fuller sound by having it on the other side of the stage. I actually used a TC Mimiq to get a bit more dimension out of the set-up.

Anyway, at 35lb, the JC-40 is such a nice loud transparent amp. It will definitely be my preferred option if I go jam somewhere and may just use it on live gigs even when going FOH with the FM3. Just to get that standing next to my amp feel.
You have peaked my interest! I used to love the JC120 clean and chorused cleans! I don't recall how I liked using pedals in front.
But I'm considering a dedicated "amp-like" option for use with FM3. Let the FM3 do most of the heavy lifting, but have amp like feel and reponse and controls for very basic backline at gigs.
I will be testing FM3 in front of Princeton Reverb and MAZ 18 (cabs off) but those really do sound great with a real pedalboard vs. digital.
FM3 output 1 to FOH of course is amazing.

Depending on the music and band the JC-40 is surprisingly loud. The speakers are Roland branded, but hold together at high levels and seem to be very efficient. Another thing that impressed me. I believe it has a direct out. If I remember correctly these newer series were designed with modeling/digital gear in mind, but not losing its plug and play quality. Also, it still retains the one speaker chorus while the other is clean design. Which in stereo does impart a much sweeter chorusing effect. Whether it’s the perfect solution for FAS gear (FM3) is hard to say, but the versatility between being a solid clean platform for this purpose, but also a really warm nice amp to just plug into and play makes it a great option.

And it doesn’t weigh a ton.

Depending on the music and band the JC-40 is surprisingly loud. The speakers are Roland branded, but hold together at high levels and seem to be very efficient. Another thing that impressed me. I believe it has a direct out. If I remember correctly these newer series were designed with modeling/digital gear in mind, but not losing its plug and play quality. Also, it still retains the one speaker chorus while the other is clean design. Which in stereo does impart a much sweeter chorusing effect. Whether it’s the perfect solution for FAS gear (FM3) is hard to say, but the versatility between being a solid clean platform for this purpose, but also a really warm nice amp to just plug into and play makes it a great option.

And it doesn’t weigh a ton.

Right, the power amp design and perhaps speaker efficiency punches above it's weight, a JC-120 stays clean to a very loud volume, louder than the "dual mono" 60 watt setup would suggest. The same is probably true for the lower watt models. The chorus sounds so good due to essentially keeping a wet/dry set up where only one speaker has the modulated signal and things are mixed "in the air" (something one needs to consider if micing).

@GitGuy513 and @Will Chen 100%. It really carries an impressive punch and the chorus is so phenomenally useful.

@Gasp100 As far as taking pedals, I found it kind of hit or miss, particularly with dirt pedals. I found a Rat worked pretty well, but others sounded awful. I ended up buying a Wampler Sovereign which has a lot of ability to tweak mids and that worked better than almost anything else. For dirt tones, I ended up getting a recommendation to buy a $30 Joyo American Sound which I would advise anyone owning a JC to get if you are using pedals. I could get legit Fendery tones with this pedal and if you put it after the dirt pedals everything sounded fantastic. Total game changer.

All that said, for cleans the JC really has a sound of its own that is glorious. I could plug my Strat straight in, add a little delay, dial up the reverb and turn the chorus on and play all night. It sounds really good, but again it is really it's own thing. Just glorious, punchy, crystal clean goodness.

Regarding the direct out, I did find that this wasn't that useable. Even if I got a decent sound with pedals it sounded really bad sending this to the board. The speaker attenuation is definitely a thing here (there is no speaker emulation in these outs unlike the direct out on a Katana). I will say that using the FM3 into the JC, I'd expect this to basically pass the sound through only adding EQ tweaks from the front end. But my plan is to just use the XLRs on the FM3 to go into the board.

@GitGuy513 and @Will Chen 100%. It really carries an impressive punch and the chorus is so phenomenally useful.

@Gasp100 As far as taking pedals, I found it kind of hit or miss, particularly with dirt pedals. I found a Rat worked pretty well, but others sounded awful. I ended up buying a Wampler Sovereign which has a lot of ability to tweak mids and that worked better than almost anything else. For dirt tones, I ended up getting a recommendation to buy a $30 Joyo American Sound which I would advise anyone owning a JC to get if you are using pedals. I could get legit Fendery tones with this pedal and if you put it after the dirt pedals everything sounded fantastic. Total game changer.

All that said, for cleans the JC really has a sound of its own that is glorious. I could plug my Strat straight in, add a little delay, dial up the reverb and turn the chorus on and play all night. It sounds really good, but again it is really it's own thing. Just glorious, punchy, crystal clean goodness.

Regarding the direct out, I did find that this wasn't that useable. Even if I got a decent sound with pedals it sounded really bad sending this to the board. The speaker attenuation is definitely a thing here (there is no speaker emulation in these outs unlike the direct out on a Katana). I will say that using the FM3 into the JC, I'd expect this to basically pass the sound through only adding EQ tweaks from the front end. But my plan is to just use the XLRs on the FM3 to go into the board.
"But my plan is to just use the XLRs on the FM3 to go into the board." - oh yes, certainly!

Back
Top Bottom