Roland GR 55?

Muris_Varajic

Power User
Anyone here had some experience with this unit,
how good is the tracking going directly from guitar to GR 55 via 13pin cable?

Thanks folks! :)

Muris

Some say the GR-55 isn't quite up to Axon's best, i've owned an Axon and have the GR-55 and when using the internal tones I feel the GR-55 is better than any other midi system. The GR-55 is great with external tones, but the tracking and performance of the internal tones is outstanding.

Thanks Max. :)

Yeah, I have read similar comparisons between GR 55 and some Axon units.
The thing is, GR 55 is all in one floor unit and very convenient,
just trying to find if somebody is really having problems with tracking and why, at what kind of sounds. :)

just trying to find if somebody is really having problems with tracking and why, at what kind of sounds. :)

I have a GR-55 and a Brian Moore guitar with an RMC piezo bridge and a 13-pin output. Tracking is fast, however I get a lot of "ghost notes"... you know, those quirky "erp-eep-awwp-brrr" sounds especially on a synth lead sound. It seems worse in my GR-55 compared to the GR-30. As I understand it, the piezo bridge systems are notorious for this. RMC developed a subsonic filter (OPT-01) to improve performance of these systems.

Be sure to check out the GR-55 forum HERE for more info.

Last edited:
MY experience shows that you will have less tracking issues if you use all Roland gear with the GR-55. I am switching to a GC-1 to use with my GR-55 (The GC-1 will also have the bridge replaced with a Supervee) The Gr-55 is a great product.

Thanks guys, will check the forum as well. :)

Yeah, it's always better and more safe if you use same brand products in chain specially if it's midi,
however I don't think I am gonna use GK55 at all, just Godin nylon with 13pin out direct into GR55.

I had a lot of trouble with the gr-55, tracking was simply terrible and I got lots of ghost notes all over the place. It was so bad that I decided to get rid of it. Then I realiced I had installed the pick up upside down.
Yeah, I know, you don't have to tell me.

I have GR-55 that I use with a godin multiac nylon sa ....the tracking is accurate & fast, no issues.

it tracks very well on both the jem with a gk and also on the piezo carvin sh275....provided you are on a patch that tracks well...maybe there is further adjustment possible beyond what i have done, but just like the axe i have so much fun playing with presets that the tweakage is minimal....but the patches that do track well are almost shockingly good.just used gr55 and axe together for first time last weekend and it was one of the best feelings ever...can't help but smile at the near limitless possibilities....only drawback is i can't use my jp when using gtr synth as action is too low and no pickgaurd like jem has.mainly using carvin now because that is it's purpose

MY experience shows that you will have less tracking issues if you use all Roland gear with the GR-55. I am switching to a GC-1 to use with my GR-55 (The GC-1 will also have the bridge replaced with a Supervee) The Gr-55 is a great product.
Hello, just a question; do you use the gr55 in combination with the AxFx live? If so how is your set up? Thanks!

I have a GR-55 and a Brian Moore guitar with an RMC piezo bridge and a 13-pin output. Tracking is fast, however I get a lot of "ghost notes"... you know, those quirky "erp-eep-awwp-brrr" sounds especially on a synth lead sound. It seems worse in my GR-55 compared to the GR-30. As I understand it, the piezo bridge systems are notorious for this. RMC developed a subsonic filter (OPT-01) to improve performance of these systems.

Be sure to check out the GR-55 forum HERE for more info.

I have a GR55 I installed the OPT -01 and also bought the DR. Jones filter/buff and it it dead on no ghost notes. Crazy sick tracking. I am however putting it up for sale to buy the AX8. I currently own the axe fx xl 2 and just love fractal......

A few things...
  • I've had a GR-55 and every other one they've made. I think the best is the GR-55 and GR-33
  • The tracking is done in the unit not the pickup- so the best results (night and day with tracking) will be done with a guitar with it installed like a Godin rather than the Roland pickup
  • Steve Stevens uses an Axe Fx and Roland Guitar Synth in his rig
MOST IMPORTANTLY
I think the roland stuff is OUT
and the Fishman Triple Play is in.

I've had every guitar synth and pickup imaginable- and really hate them all- but the Fishman is good- it's where Boss always wanted to be with the synth stuff and I'm the biggest Boss pedal freak in the world.

Hello, just a question; do you use the gr55 in combination with the AxFx live? If so how is your set up? Thanks!
In the past I've used a GR-33 with an AxeFX. It was patched in via Input2 and a Loop Return block towards the end of the chain, allowing me to use the AxeFX as a mixer.

A few things... The tracking is done in the unit not the pickup- so the best results (night and day with tracking) will be done with a guitar with it installed like a Godin rather than the Roland pickup.
Tracking certainly improved when I switched from the Roland GK-2 pickup to bridge piezos, and agin when I switched from the Roland circuit board to the Graphtech.

I have a Godin LGX-SA, also an ESP with the GK unit and a GR-55. I find that it tracks better with the Roland GK setup vs Godin. As well I also found that the older units ,GR30 or 33 can't remember, offer far better tracking and accuracy when dealing with horns and pianos. Specifically saxophones. The GR55 is essentially worthless in my own experience on these voices. Spent a ton of time reading, tweaking and fine tuning but could never dial it in.

I basically use it for strings and pads as an under layer to some guitar parts.

My friend has a gr-55. It tracked my Dusk Tiger's piezo system well. The key is to set the internal gr-55 tracking. It really is a 2 person job. You play and your friend pushes the up or down arrows on each string sensitivity until the ghost notes disappear. If you set it up correctly and only use one guitar/one player with the unit, then it truly is set it and forget it.

If anyone is interested, I am selling my GR-55 (mint) shortly. I also have a Godin LGX-SA (electric/acoustic/MIDI) that I will be selling as well. I thought about selling them as a set. If interested, PM me. I need to pay for a new mixer!

I have a GR-55 & a Godin LGXT-SA. Tracks well and is very tweakable. Set up for string sensitivity & correct pickup type is key.

While this is not a formal for sale ad, if interested, I'm looking for $1500 for the guitar and the GR-55. That's pretty much below market for each, but I need to pay for a new mixer...

Back
Top Bottom