Roland GR-33, GR-55, GI-20 and ext synth, or midi guitar (ZTAR)

Wow just checked out that PK-5. I never knew these existed! Just like an organ! I guess I'm not surprised, make sense, but awesome! Don't think I'd want to fit one of those on stage though.

Expensive though. Studiologic make a cheaper version.

Curious of your guys' thoughts on these units/setups. I'm 95% settled into just starting off with the GR-55 and it seems the sounds are the most current. I also like the idea of having acoustic, 12 string and alternate tunings. Not interested in the amps or anything obviously.

I have read some good things about the GR-33 too. Since I don't really need the guitar/cosm tones from the GR-55 maybe the GR-33 would be better? Do you think the sounds are better on the 55 tho? The 33 has harmonist (could use axe too) and arpeggiator too...

Also- tracking on the GI-20 good enough for use with an ext. synth? (Axon's are too pricy and unavailable)

Lastly maybe just getting a midi guitar would be most accurate route?

I'm sure you're aware of the upcoming Fishman wireless Triple Play guitar synth, if you plan to use external synths modules/computers, i'd bet the tracking will be better then any Roland synth, I used to have the Axon AX 100 and it worked great, the Triple Play is designed by the same guy, so i expect even better performance, and the fact that it's wireless will be a big plus. I'm waiting for them to start shipping to pick one up, for now i picked up a Roland GR-20 which works pretty good as far as tracking the internal sounds, which are just ok, it's not so great using it's Midi out with external synths, but can work, I tried a few GR-55s at the stores and didn't think the tracking was any better then the GR-20, and didn't care for any of the amp modeling. Unless you really need the guitar modeling part of the GR 55, I'd just wait for the Fishman Triple Play, don't think the Midi out of the GR-55 is any better then the older Roland GTR synths, but I cold be wrong I didn't test the Midi out to a module, just internal sounds.

yes I have heard about the Fishman Triple. Its seems like forever for them to get the product out. Last I heard was January. The question I guess I have with the fishman- I get that it will be wireless 13 pin but from what I read it only says software. Will it have a hardware module to do the converting without a computer? I'm looking for mainly a live setup not using a computer...

I'm sure you're aware of the upcoming Fishman wireless Triple Play guitar synth, if you plan to use external synths modules/computers, i'd bet the tracking will be better then any Roland synth, I used to have the Axon AX 100 and it worked great, the Triple Play is designed by the same guy, so i expect even better performance, and the fact that it's wireless will be a big plus. I'm waiting for them to start shipping to pick one up, for now i picked up a Roland GR-20 which works pretty good as far as tracking the internal sounds, which are just ok, it's not so great using it's Midi out with external synths, but can work, I tried a few GR-55s at the stores and didn't think the tracking was any better then the GR-20, and didn't care for any of the amp modeling. Unless you really need the guitar modeling part of the GR 55, I'd just wait for the Fishman Triple Play, don't think the Midi out of the GR-55 is any better then the older Roland GTR synths, but I cold be wrong I didn't test the Midi out to a module, just internal sounds.

The initial batch of Fishmans' will require a laptop, in June 2013 they will release hardware inclusive version.

Do any of you guys know, if I were to go the GI-20 into rack synth (motif es), can I get alternate guitar tunings somehow?

I picked up a used Yamaha Motif Rack ES Saturday. Been playing it using a crapping keyboard of mine for now. I think I may pickup the GR-55 as well to compare the sounds side by side. Seeing as I can't really find any used GI-20's for now. (GC has a broken one).

Just updating for info. My experience so far.

Picked up a Yamaha motif rack es as stated above. Just this past Friday I also picked up a brand new GR-55 with GK-3 for a steal of 500.

I have setup the gr-55 to control the yamaha rack es and i must say the latency is a lot better than I expected its not to bad!. As far as the sounds. Most of the sounds in the Motif sound better to me. I do find it a little easier to setup the GR-55 tones and I will say they are still pretty good! I especially find the Trance sounds to actually be a bit better in my opinion or different anyways. As far as the tracking for either I'm still dialing it in but with the GK-3 screw in, adjustment becomes much easier.

I should be picking up a GI-20 to try out soon as well. I figure that might work better from what I've read/researched on other forums.

Got a hold of an Axon Ax50, never ended up getting a GI-20. I must say the Axon seems to kick the crap out of the GR-55. Just tracks and feels so much better than the GR-55! I'm going to hold on to the 55 for a bit more just to make sure but I think I will be selling the GR-55. I would miss the guitar modeling/alt. tuning of the GR-55 but don't use them that much anyways...

I've been a guitar synth guy since 1992, first owned Casio Mg-510, then Gk2 with a VG88, GI-10, vg99, Godin Multiac nylon, Godin multiac xtsa, roland ready strat, vg strat

Now:
Sold the Godins and the casio years ago, and the vg88 and GI10
Best tricks were the alt tunings on the vg99, but I just sold it
I kept the vg strat, will probably sell the roland ready one

My conclusions were:
guitar to midi is useful for arranging in the studio sometimes, never for live, other than slow attack strings behind the direct guitar sound
For synth patches, It's easier and more rewarding to learn to play keyboards
non-midi synth sounds are the best use of these guitars, but better to buy a second or third cheaper guitar and leave it in the tunings you want, it's cheaper and sounds better, live or studio
I was keeping the vg99 for the metheny and bass patches. But now I bought a bass to run through the AFx2 and got a Metheny gr300 patch for the afx2, so the vg99 was up for sale
Even with the vg99 (best ever roland synth AFAIK), all the amp patches were appalling. Acoustics were a fair impersonation, but what's the point?

The VG strat is a keeper though - nice real USA strat, with good passives, and a few tunings and other pickups when I need them - good enough for live or demos

Back
Top Bottom