Roland GR-33, GR-55, GI-20 and ext synth, or midi guitar (ZTAR)

Keg8605

Power User
Curious of your guys' thoughts on these units/setups. I'm 95% settled into just starting off with the GR-55 and it seems the sounds are the most current. I also like the idea of having acoustic, 12 string and alternate tunings. Not interested in the amps or anything obviously.

I have read some good things about the GR-33 too. Since I don't really need the guitar/cosm tones from the GR-55 maybe the GR-33 would be better? Do you think the sounds are better on the 55 tho? The 33 has harmonist (could use axe too) and arpeggiator too...

Also- tracking on the GI-20 good enough for use with an ext. synth? (Axon's are too pricy and unavailable)

Lastly maybe just getting a midi guitar would be most accurate route?

I think the best option is the little GI-20 (discontinued but a very nice unit tracking-wise and probably quite cheap on the used market $300 ish?). The GR-55 has better tracking for internal sounds (kinda lame sample based stuff that is not anything to write home about) but it's MIDI out is pretty much the same as the GI. The roland gr models of the 90's and onwards are pretty uninspiring with regards to internal sounds but MIDI gives limitless options, especially with all the software based synth engines and samplers out there: the skies the limit.
I have tried the ZTAR (albeit with right hand trigger keys not strings) and despite lots of experience with my Gr300, GR700 and G808 guitar, I found it alot more awkward than I thought I would (left hand wise, right hand was fine) and sent it back. There are alternatives to their rather expensive prices though, the MISA digital Kitara looks very intriguing as it's right hand options on the "screen" look more direct. Even cheaper is the You Rock Guitar YRG-1000 MIDI Controller Electric Guitar: afew hundred bucks can get you at least a wade in the MIDI guitar pool.
For options I'd recommend a GK pickup and GI-20, MIDI to anything and everything. I believe Gambale uses it which is a good endorsement.

I still have a GR-33 and VG-88. In my mind the GR-55 pretty much covers the two of these in one package. One of the advantages of the GR-55 is that when you are playing say an organ sounds, you can use the actual organ synth samples and the COSM harmonics organ sounds at the same time, and process them both via the interal amp sim. This helps the latency and gives you more of a guitar players feel, rather than playing the synth sounds alone.

The 12 string sounds are ok, but I find blending in your normal guitar via your Axe FX bring it to life - the acoustic sims are a little on the weak side to my ears.

Plugging any of these into the Axe Fx loop allows you to use the Axes multiband com on the synth sounds. I find that a big help..

As for Midi tracking to ext.. Never 100% accurate, ever!! Roland use a different internal protocol for triggering the PCM sounds.

As for a MIDI guitar. If you go this route you are basically playing a keyboard. The advantage of the GK route is that you are able to play an actual guitar and keyboard parts at the same time or either or in the same song without having to change instruments.

Thanks guys you've got me thinking. I'm just worried about the tracking on the GI-20 from what I've read. I can see though where a yamaha rack motif would be nice to control with my guitar. I will absolutely run it through the axe as well since I know my way around the axe's effects and all much better. I guess I'm just thinking a good entry for the price/convenience might be a used gr-55. I think the price of the original rack motif and a used gi-20 would be the same as a used gr-55 tho....

I do think for now I will hold off on the midi guitar as I would like the option having my natural guitar sound too...

Can't really find any GI-20's. One just sold yesterday on the bay. I'll keep a watch out for one.

GI-20 is decent. GR33 external tracking is unuseable. Don't know about 55.

PS Go to Guitar Center online, used section. Search for GI20, no hypen. There's 2, one for $230 which is ok. I love GC used. Bought an Apogee One for $99 a couple of weeks ago in perfect shape. All the other GCs were selling them for maybe $170 used. I got lucky.

I just bought a GR-55 2 days ago.I think it tracks great but depending on the patch you get some ghost notes.I played one for about 90 minutes at guitar center on a roland ready strat.Sweetwater has the best price for the whole thing.Gr-55,pickup and 13 pin cable.It was much better than the Gk3 pickup I installed on my old Kramer.I need to integrate it with my axe II.I will be getting a roland ready guitar next.

Ah, thanks man. I found em. Maybe I'll pick one of these up and start trying the real synth route. I should be able to sell it if need be.

I just bought a GR-55 2 days ago.I think it tracks great but depending on the patch you get some ghost notes.I played one for about 90 minutes at guitar center on a roland ready strat.Sweetwater has the best price for the whole thing.Gr-55,pickup and 13 pin cable.It was much better than the Gk3 pickup I installed on my old Kramer.I need to integrate it with my axe II.I will be getting a roland ready guitar next.

What do you think about the sounds? I'm wondering how they compare to a motif rack es...

Motif es rack is a serious sound machine. I don't know about the 55, but the 33 had Roland's most basic architecture from 10-12 years prior in its' synth line. It had few cool patches and a lot of crap. 55 sounds better in the bits I've heard, but a Motif ES is a great sounding unit.

Last edited:
What do you think about the sounds? I'm wondering how they compare to a motif rack es...

I dont know about the motif.I know its more money.Like $400 more.The sounds are great but there are alot of sounds you may never use.The V forums are great as people post patches that they made.You should try one out at a local GC.That is what made me buy mine.There are great synth,strings(cello and violin),piano and horns.Watch some youtube demo's.I love if for the fact of alternate tunings.

Honestly I'm thinking the price will be close (within 100). Maybe a motif rack ES for 400, gi-20 for 200 and then a gk3 pickup 100-200. I do know I would be missing the acoustic, 12 string, and alt. tunings. I've read mixed reviews on those sounds but all in all still would be nice to have those at my disposal. I've checked out a lot of demo's of the 55 and in the context of a cover band crowd i could seem them not noticing the difference. I've just read that the sounds of the motif are far better... Tough choice but these are my main 2 choices I think.

A benefit to the 55 is all in one. A benefit to the gi-20 and ext synth route is options to add more synths too. I need to demo the 55 sounds for myself too.

I've had every unit other than the ZTAR. If you're looking for a unit for recording, the GI-20 unit is good as it gives you good access to software samples like Kontakt etc. For live playing, there's no contest in my mind. GR55 in terms of compactness, tracking , pretty good sounds and alternate tunings on the fly make this the best option.

Here's a clip of the GR55 and the axe. Axe for acoustic sounds and GR55 for piano and horns using the expression pedal to switch between the two.

Does Anybody Really Know - YouTube

Definitely not recording as of now. This would be for all live use. I suppose its probably best to start with the 55 and eventually get into the rest..
I've had every unit other than the ZTAR. If you're looking for a unit for recording, the GI-20 unit is good as it gives you good access to software samples like Kontakt etc. For live playing, there's no contest in my mind. GR55 in terms of compactness, tracking , pretty good sounds and alternate tunings on the fly make this the best option.

Here's a clip of the GR55 and the axe. Axe for acoustic sounds and GR55 for piano and horns using the expression pedal to switch between the two.

Does Anybody Really Know - YouTube

Cool track! from what i can tell the GI-10 just doesn't have a guitar out? or at least on the one i saw on ebay. Not sure if the tracking on the GI-20 is any better?

I use a Hamer Duotone Custom live with two outputs to the Axe Fx, via a pair of wireless units.

I also use a Roland PK-5 midi bass pedal to hold down drown notes on the Korg.

Wow just checked out that PK-5. I never knew these existed! Just like an organ! I guess I'm not surprised, make sense, but awesome! Don't think I'd want to fit one of those on stage though.
I use a Hamer Duotone Custom live with two outputs to the Axe Fx, via a pair of wireless units.

I also use a Roland PK-5 midi bass pedal to hold down drown notes on the Korg.

Back
Top Bottom