Roland FC-300 vs. Behringer FCB1010

As an FCB1010 owner, would I love to have a Liquid Foot instead? Absolutely! Can I justify the 6x price difference at this time? Absolutely not.

This thread started out as which is the better. I think they're both equivalent from a functional quality perspective, and with the Uno chip the features compare favorably for the FCB1010.

I love buying the best, when it's justified -- that is, when there is a noticeable improvement in quality, whether that manifests itself in better performance, longevity, and/or features I can't live without. I bought the Ultra for this reason. I can find no such argument for a fancy MIDI controller -- money was definitely tight after dropping $2K on the Ultra (especially given that I got $750 for my Vetta + FBV which cost $2000 new). The FCB1010 works, it does all the basics (and then some), and it's been reliable. You might argue that you don't like the housing and/or squishy switches or that it does not have enough features for your needs, but that's a subjective value judgment, and each person will certainly have their own opinion.

I am considering one of these foot controllers. I would like to note that the Roland has inputs on the back panel for multiple foot pedals. When using it with my GR-55, that could be incredibly useful. I'd like to be able to assign the two main pedals for filter cutoff, resonance, but being able to add extra pedals for other assigns like mod rate or ADSR would be crazy cool. The Behringer does not have this feature on the back panel.

As to the interesting discussion of the features to price ratio, those are decisions we all have to make based on budget. I do music as a hobby, at home with friends, so getting a used FCB 1010 for $80 (what they sell for now at The Guitar Center website) and adding a Eureka Eprom later for $35 suits me well. TGC has at this moment an open box FC 300 for $440. For a guy like me getting the FCB 1010 for a $360 savings is a big deal. I could buy the eprom, a Katana 50, and still have $100.

Back
Top Bottom