Roland FC-300 vs. Behringer FCB1010

GummiTZ

I am considering either of these floorboards for my soon-arriving Axe-FX. Since I couldn't find any info on the Roland on this forum, I wonder if anyone has any experience with it, used with the Axe-FX or even other equipment?

The Roland seems to have an interesting function, which I have not been able to confirm if the Behringer has:
Each expression-pedal has a button beneath on the toe-end, so you can active/deactivate your wah-effect without first pressing another switch on the board.

Also I am curious about the build quality / reliability of the two. Can I expect the Roland to be better?

There are no buttons beneath the pedals on the Behringer. But with the auto-engage function of the Axe you don't need any button to turn the effect on, just start moving the expression pedal.

straighteight2003 said:
There are no buttons beneath the pedals on the Behringer. But with the auto-engage function of the Axe you don't need any button to turn the effect on, just start moving the expression pedal.

This works amazingly well. I use it with wah and whammy. When using wah, use a the slow setting, since you dont want it to disengage when wah'in away...on whammy I use quick/fast setting, as whammy down=whammy off.

I've had Roland FC100 and FC200s with my GP8 and -16s and Replifex, I now have an FCB1010 with the Axe. I think build quality is comparable. The 1010 uses the same sort of buttons and it's very sturdy. I've heard of several complaints about programming being a bit of a chore (not with a UnO-chip and Ripwerx editor) and calibration and stuff, but never that it broke down.
So, the FCB1010 has more buttons and with the auto-engage you won't need the pedal buttons. And it's half the price.
IMHO and YMMV.
The FCB seems to be one of those things where Behringer got it right. With the UnO of course. Loving the 5/5 split.

FCB1010 has more buttons and with the auto-engage you won't need the pedal buttons. And it's half the price

True, I own both. switched to the Roland because of low grade MIDI input/output connectors on the FCB (yes, there's a difference) I had a heck of at time making a clean connection to the FCB; tried Hosa, Proco and finally Monster; thinking was the cable being the problem. Not true, even the Monster cable would fall out or not make enough contact to send data. The Roland costs more $$ but its made with better components, it's built like a tank and offers smaller footprint (good thing on tight stages). I found the FCB easier to program once you got the hang of the manual; however, the FC-300 offers way more MIDI data options. If anyone knows of an editor program for the FC-300, please let me know! Programming is a chore!

First I ever heard of problems of manufacture. Of the FCB that is. Then again, I haven't looked much. Mine's are fine.
Midi outputs are a buck a pop. If you can solder that is. With new ones you just return them, with used ones that's just the price you pay...

The pedals on the 1010 are more Toys-R-us than usable musical gear, Roland are pro' kit makers
so will last out the 1010 by ages. :!:

angello120 said:
The pedals on the 1010 are more Toys-R-us than usable musical gear, Roland are pro' kit makers
Is this an opinion or a fact?

godprobe said:
angello120 said:

It's an opinion and it is, IMHO, bullshit. I believe the roland has better pedals and is a better unit all together. But the pedals on the behringer are absolutely usable.

I've used my FCB1010 for two years, both in my practice room and on 30-40 gigs. It's fine. Whatever reliability and/or wear life issues there may be have yet to show themselves. At this point, if I had trouble, I could happily throw the present one away and buy another.

Jay Mitchell said:
I've used my FCB1010 for two years, both in my practice room and on 30-40 gigs. It's fine. Whatever reliability and/or wear life issues there may be have yet to show themselves. At this point, if I had trouble, I could happily throw the present one away and buy another.
My experience is the same as Jay's. I also have used my FCB1010 dozens of times and never had a single problem. With the Uno chip it's actually pretty usuable, and you could buy two FCB1010 with Uno chip for the same price as a single FC300.

Now, whether it feels as sturdy is another issue, but it's been rock-solid as far as durability so far, and far outdistances all competitors in terms of value for an entry-level MIDI controller.

+2

I love my FCB1010 - used it on countless gigs and practices and always worked great for me. I installed UnO chip in mine for the stompbox-like functionality and few more extra features,

Mik.

My biggest problem with both units is the switches. I like normal click-type switches like on the more expensive midicontrollers. Also, the size bothers me, I like the All Access size that most of the hi end ones use. But for its price, the behringer is way more quality per dollar than the roland one. IMO.

I ended up ordering the Roland. I'm not into modding the Behringer with UnO, so when stock, the Roland has better CC-options than the Behringer it seems. Also, I like to manually switch on/off my wah instead of using auto engage/disengage. Maybe my wah-use in a little unconventional? Leaving it turned on in the same position sometimes...

But thank you very much for you input, guys! :) Now I just need the Axe-FX to arrive in the mail....aaargh.... :D

danielodland said:
godprobe said:
angello120 said:

It's an opinion and it is, IMHO, bullshit. I believe the roland has better pedals and is a better unit all together. But the pedals on the behringer are absolutely usable.

No it is a fact! come on, if you have the choice between flimsy plastic moulded or nicely weighted metal pedals which??

angello120 said:
No it is a fact! come on, if you have the choice between flimsy plastic moulded or nicely weighted metal pedals which??

The metal, obviously. But the thing is, the FCB is completely ok for its price. It is NOT a fact that it is more or less a toy. Take the price of the roland into consideration. You can almost get a Ground Control for that price.

EXACTLY! the point is if you settle for cheap' you will never be happy, we all deserve the best don't we? why cheat yourself,you bought the best processor,don't spoil it by using lesser accessories. I know (sadly) players who buy prs guitars and then ask for the cheapest lead in the shop? would you fit the cheapest budget tyre to your prized motor? hope not.The secret of contentment is getting the best, otherwise you are always end up trading up for far more than the initial cost would have been :roll: zen say-do it right do it once.

angello120 said:
EXACTLY! the point is if you settle for cheap' you will never be happy, we all deserve the best don't we? why cheat yourself,you bought the best processor,don't spoil it by using lesser accessories. I know (sadly) players who buy prs guitars and then ask for the cheapest lead in the shop? would you fit the cheapest budget tyre to your prized motor? hope not.The secret of contentment is getting the best, otherwise you are always end up trading up for far more than the initial cost would have been :roll: zen say-do it right do it once.

I'd agree if we were talking about powr amps or cabs or speaker systems of any kind here, but we are talking about a midi controller. People who get the best midi controllers usually do so because of the smart solutions, build quality and features, is has nothing to do with the results soundwise. If someone just need a midicontroller that can do program shifts and dont really care about IA, I'd recommend the Behringer. When on a budget, that is. If money isnt an issue, I'd get another one but that has nothing to do with the Behringer being crap or a toy. A lot of people use FCB's with their AxeFX's, it must do something right.

The only thing I'd worry about really is that someone said earlier that the midi connectors are bad. If that means it'll change to the wrong program, thats BAD, I can't risk that.

Anyways, remember quality to price ratio. That is very high with the Behringer one. If you think only the best fits the best, no matter the subject, you should go with the best, man. But dont try to convince anyone the Behringer is useless. I dont even own one, don't know why I'm defending it so much =))) But I have tried it and I think it did a good job for its price, and I dont believe the Roland one is worth what they're asking.

angello120 said:
EXACTLY! the point is if you settle for cheap' you will never be happy, we all deserve the best don't we? why cheat yourself,you bought the best processor,don't spoil it by using lesser accessories.
Well hell, why not get your MIDI controller gold or platinum plated while you're at it? We all know how superior that material is to plain steel, right? :cool:

Face it: the controller does not pass signal. It has no effect whatever on sound quality. If a controller reliably executes its intended function (as does my FCB1010), then its quality is sufficient for its purpose. "Better" quality will offer no improvement beyond that point.

I know (sadly) players who buy prs guitars and then ask for the cheapest lead in the shop?
I know - perhaps more sadly - deluded individuals who do not comprehend that sometimes the "cheapest lead in the shop" is the most accurate, transparent one. All too often, these poor individuals will listen with their eyes and their egos rather than their ears and convince themselves that they have got "better" sound simply because they spent more money.

Which attitude is more to be pitied? I leave it to the reader to decide.....

danielodland said:
If someone just need a midicontroller that can do program shifts and dont really care about IA, I'd recommend the Behringer.
I use my non-Uno Behringer for IA as well. I have an entire bank dedicated to that use, which gives me ten IA switches. It works perfectly well for my purposes.

The only thing I'd worry about really is that someone said earlier that the midi connectors are bad.
I have encountered no problems at all with mine, and it's been on the floor of many bar bandstands over the two years I've owned it. If someone wants features it lacks, then I'd recommend something else. Otherwise, it will work as well as anything out there, and it is far more programmable than many units that cost 3+ times as much.

Back
Top Bottom