Roland FC-300 user tips & experience

Guitar-Tiz

Experienced
So I'm surfing ebay the other day, and I came across a new, in the box, FC-300 for half the retail, and I could help but snap it up.

Well, here I am still about $800 away from actually getting my ULTRA, but I have my pedal in hand, so I figure I should at least familiarize myself with it... So I'm wondering if any of you guys that own this pedal know anything I should know that's "not in the manual," if you know what I mean.

Tips, tricks, potholes, general experience, anecdotes, anything that would help me get to know this pedal better in direct relation to the Axe-FX.

What I do know-

I'm decently versed in the ways of the MIDI Standard, as it applies to guitar gear, however I don't know all there is to know about MIDI.

I chose this pedal because of it's expandability, like the direct connect VG99 stuff, and the fact that you can have up to 5 EXP pedals total, plus it does a lot of things that I've only seen more expensive pedals do, (plus I got it half off.)

I will eventually expand my rig to contain Guitarsynth.

This thing looks pretty indestructible, even in person! It actually makes my FBV look kind of wimpy, but I have yet to take it on the road, so we will see. But at this price, who would argue?

Outside of the FCB1010, I wouldn't mind an FC-300 or FC-200. Something about the latching buttons don't sit well with me. I liked the momentary of the GT-8, hence why I also like the FC-300/FCB1010.

LAYGO said:
Outside of the FCB1010, I wouldn't mind an FC-300 or FC-200. Something about the latching buttons don't sit well with me. I liked the momentary of the GT-8, hence why I also like the FC-300/FCB1010.

You can actually have both with the FC-300. I think in patch mode you can even change the behavior per patch.

There are a couple of key things MIDI footcontrollers need to do to work well with the Axe-FX (or any similar unit):

- Have preset states PER PATCH for each of the CC toggles (called IAs in some documentation). This means that if you switch to a patch that has the chorus on and you have a CC toggle for chorus, you'd want that CC to display the fact that it's on. Also, if you want to turn the chorus off, you don't want to to press the footswitch twice. I'm not sure the Roland FC300 can do this.

- If you use CC toggles to control Axe-FX External modifiers (eg to AutoEngage effects or control parameters) and you want to recall patches as saved instead of based on the last CC toggle press, then you'll want to be able to send selected CC messages after a program change.

Otherwise, the Roland looks good: 2 pedals each with under-pedal switch and lots of footswitch and pedal expandability.

GM Arts said:
There are a couple of key things MIDI footcontrollers need to do to work well with the Axe-FX (or any similar unit):

- Have preset states PER PATCH for each of the CC toggles (called IAs in some documentation). This means that if you switch to a patch that has the chorus on and you have a CC toggle for chorus, you'd want that CC to display the fact that it's on. Also, if you want to turn the chorus off, you don't want to to press the footswitch twice. I'm not sure the Roland FC300 can do this.

Otherwise, the Roland looks good: 2 pedals each with under-pedal switch and lots of footswitch and pedal expandability.

No, in "STANDARD" mode it doesn't have the ability to save per patch CC states, but I was aware of this before I bought it, and with the way I intend to set up my patches, this won't be a problem.

I do thank you for bringing this up though, as it's good info for anyone else that doesn't know this.

My solution?

Mostly I'll be using the expression pedals, as I prefer smooth changes, and all it takes is a wiggle to get things in the right place, but I also know that when I use the "stomp" style CC buttons, AND intend to use more than one patch for a single song, I will have to take into account the on/off state of the previous patch, which is not a problem.

Otherwise, yes it will take a second step on the pedal, which, if in between songs, is not a big deal to me.

I'm almost always a one patch per song kind of guy though, and when I do use multiple patches it's usually because I'm making FX changes that are to big for a single patch, so the CC states in both the patches will pretty much stay constant. However, you guys out there with 2 or more patches per song as a constant might need to do a bit more planing ahead than I will if you get this pedal.

Also of note, there is "PATCH" mode, which takes some extra programming, but can sort of do a per patch thing, but I don't really intend on using this feature at this point, as I'm going for a more "quick and dirty" "plug and play" kind of thing. I'm still keeping my eye on the Fractal MIDI pedal, so I don't want to get too attached to this pedal if I decide I really like the MFC101.

GM Arts said:
- If you use CC toggles to control Axe-FX External modifiers (eg to AutoEngage effects or control parameters) and you want to recall patches as saved instead of based on the last CC toggle press, then you'll want to be able to send selected CC messages after a program change.

I'm not quite sure I get what your saying here.

Do you mean send a "MIDI stream"? If yes, then like I said before, the FC-300 has a "PATCH" mode that can do this very thing, but I don't intend to use that mode... yet.

Although, after playing with it, I may find that to be the mode I favor, who knows. I'll find out soon though.

Like I said, I'm not ready to get THAT involved with the Roland quite yet.

Guitar-Tiz said:
[quote="GM Arts":1xngwwsf] - If you use CC toggles to control Axe-FX External modifiers (eg to AutoEngage effects or control parameters) and you want to recall patches as saved instead of based on the last CC toggle press, then you'll want to be able to send selected CC messages after a program change.

Do you mean send a "MIDI stream"? If yes, then like I said before, the FC-300 has a "PATCH" mode that can do this very thing, but I don't intend to use that mode... yet.

Although, after playing with it, I may find that to be the mode I favor, who knows. I'll find out soon though.

Like I said, I'm not ready to get THAT involved with the Roland quite yet.[/quote:1xngwwsf]

Sorry, it's not very clear, is it?

The quick explanation is that for the best flexibility, you'll want your MIDI controller to be able to send various CC messages automatically after selecting a new program.

The Axe-FX (and other units) carry some CC values between patch changes and ignore others. For the Axe-FX, External Controllers keep their CC values between patch changes and bypass CCs don't.

This is good. For example, it allows you to keep a volume pedal setting when changing patches (otherwise every patch change would default to a setting like maximum or off!). It also means that effect blocks that are bypassed or activated will be recalled as saved.

For full control over patch changes, you need your MIDI controller to be able to (re)set External Controllers that you DON'T want to carry over into a patch change. Here are a couple of examples:

(1) You have an expression pedal that controls different things in different patches. In the current patch it controls Rotary speed, and you move the pedal to maximum speed. You then switch to a patch where the same pedal controls Delay level, but you want to recall the patch with delay level off initially. So you want a MIDI controller that you can program to send the patch change followed immediately with a CC message that simulates you move the pedal to off (heel-down).

(2) You use a regular CC toggle assigned to an External Controller to switch between a big reverb and a "background" reverb in all of your patches. You toggle it ON for the big reverb then switch to another patch, but you want to recall the patch and have to toggle the reverb CC off as well to reset the reverb level. So you want a MIDI controller that sends a patch change and immediately (a) sets its CC LED off and (b) sends a CC message that simulates you toggling that CC off.

Hope that's a bit clearer, and you're right, these are the sorts of things often overlooked when shopping for MIDI controllers.

FYI: the FC-300 is quite a powerful controller, but if one day you feel like spending the extra money to have more flexibility (like adding the features mentioned by GM Arts) you might consider to add a Gordius Little Giant module. This one has a mode for using the FC-300 as slave controller. It puts the FC-300 in "sysex mode" in order to detect key presses and control the FC-300 LEDs, and this way the floorboard is extended with all features of the module (see online manual - http://www.gordius.be/midi-footcontroller-lgm.php). Preset names are displayed on the LG-M graphic display as well as on the FC-300 2-line display, stompbox states are reflected on the FC-300 LEDs, you can have a mix of the different modes ("standard mode", "controlchange mode", "patch mode") without the need to switch between them, etc..
But of course you should first take your time and play around with the FC-300, you might well be able to live with its restrictions - as I said it's a powerful thing on its own.

GM Arts said:
[quote="Guitar-Tiz":2tj687am][quote="GM Arts":2tj687am] - If you use CC toggles to control Axe-FX External modifiers (eg to AutoEngage effects or control parameters) and you want to recall patches as saved instead of based on the last CC toggle press, then you'll want to be able to send selected CC messages after a program change.

Like I said, I'm not ready to get THAT involved with the Roland quite yet.[/quote:2tj687am]

Sorry, it's not very clear, is it?

The quick explanation is that for the best flexibility, you'll want your MIDI controller to be able to send various CC messages automatically after selecting a new program.

The Axe-FX (and other units) carry some CC values between patch changes and ignore others. For the Axe-FX, External Controllers keep their CC values between patch changes and bypass CCs don't.

This is good. For example, it allows you to keep a volume pedal setting when changing patches (otherwise every patch change would default to a setting like maximum or off!). It also means that effect blocks that are bypassed or activated will be recalled as saved.

For full control over patch changes, you need your MIDI controller to be able to (re)set External Controllers that you DON'T want to carry over into a patch change. Here are a couple of examples:

(1) You have an expression pedal that controls different things in different patches. In the current patch it controls Rotary speed, and you move the pedal to maximum speed. You then switch to a patch where the same pedal controls Delay level, but you want to recall the patch with delay level off initially. So you want a MIDI controller that you can program to send the patch change followed immediately with a CC message that simulates you move the pedal to off (heel-down).

(2) You use a regular CC toggle assigned to an External Controller to switch between a big reverb and a "background" reverb in all of your patches. You toggle it ON for the big reverb then switch to another patch, but you want to recall the patch and have to toggle the reverb CC off as well to reset the reverb level. So you want a MIDI controller that sends a patch change and immediately (a) sets its CC LED off and (b) sends a CC message that simulates you toggling that CC off.

Hope that's a bit clearer, and you're right, these are the sorts of things often overlooked when shopping for MIDI controllers.[/quote:2tj687am]

Yes, that is what I though you meant.

There is a mode for dealing with this very set of variables, but like I said, I don't THINK I'll have an issue, as I'm a one patch per song kind of guy. But if I do write a song where it's needed, the mode does exist.

My .02 on the FC-300.

I am currently using the FC-300 because in addition to the Axe-Fx I have a Roland VG-99. In fact, I was using an FCB with the Axe before I acquired the VG-99 with the FC-300. I use the VG-99 for a few things, including routing the main outs to the Axe-Fx loop to use the VG for guitar and alternate tuning simulations while using the (much better) amps and effects in the Axe. Since the FC-300 is designed to work with the VG-99 in sysex mode, I switched of the MIDI OMNI receive on the VG-99 to ignore all other MIDI signals. For the Axe I use the "Standard" mode for switching patches and the "Controller" mode for stompbox control. I attached a boss FS-6 pedal to the FC-300 "Mode" input to more easily switch between the modes since I have to switch to sysex to control the VG and standard/controller for the Axe. At least this way I only have one pedal that controls everything.

There are the aforementioned issues with saving CC changes with you presets and the lack of feedback on the state of your pedals when you change patches (i.e. the drive block is on in the Axe preset but the light on the FC-300 pedal assigned to the drive may be off), but I have learned to live with this. As also mentioned, in "Patch" mode you may be able to program everything you want for each of your presets, but I have not tried this yet.

A note: I mapped the controller 1 pedal to global effect bypass and the controller 2 pedal to tap tempo and this works great. I also really like the expression pedals and the fact that you can set the Axe to bypass the Wah when you press the switch on the expression pedal itself, just like a real Wah-Wah.

And one tip: To allow the FC-300 to switch to all three banks of the Axe you have to set one parameter (I don't remember the name) in standard mode to "Sound Module". Otherwise you will only have access to the first 127 patches of the Axe (Bank A).

deep_spaceus said:
My .02 on the FC-300.

Thanks for the tips.

I'll have to look into the Bank thing, I don't know if I'll need it, but that's good to know either way.

Heck, I never used more than 10 different patches on my Vetta, but my patch making paradigm may change with the Axe-FX.

I'm interested in the VG99, but more for the synth stuff, so I may hang on to this pedal for quite a while even if I get Cliffs MFC101.

Guitar-Tiz said:
I'm interested in the VG99, but more for the synth stuff, so I may hang on to this pedal for quite a while even if I get Cliffs MFC101.

I am on the waiting list for the MFC101 also and will probably use that for the Axe when I get it. Of course I will have to haul two pedal boards plus expression pedals for the MFC. I also have a Roland GR-33 synth that as you probably know is a floor unit. I don't haul around the GR-33 but my home studio floor will be getting very busy :roll:

The VG-99 does have some decent synth sounds, especially the emulation of the GR-300 that produces the sound used by Pat Metheny. But overall I don't really use the VG-99 synth sounds. I have played around using it as a MIDI box to play soft synths on the computer when recording. The guitar models are usable, though they don't really match the real thing, especially with playing dynamics. However, it is very good for switching between an electric and acoustic guitar, and really shines for alternate tunings and twelve string sounds.

In moments of tonal insanity I have run my GK-3 equipped Les Paul into the Axe with a regular instrument cable, and connected the GK pickup into a GKP-4 "GK patch" that sends the GK guitar signal to both the VG-99 and the GR-33 so that all three units are producing sound as I play. Talk about a a wall of sound ;)

deep_spaceus said:
In moments of tonal insanity I have run my GK-3 equipped Les Paul into the Axe with a regular instrument cable, and connected the GK pickup into a GKP-4 "GK patch" that sends the GK guitar signal to both the VG-99 and the GR-33 so that all three units are producing sound as I play. Talk about a a wall of sound ;)

Cool, sounds like a lot of fun. I do this thing with 3 90% delays on in my Vetta that just rocks. Drives my wife up the wall though.

When I really think about it, I would really only be using the VG99 as a "trigger" for a rack synth module.

I kind of liked the idea of the VG99 though, because it can be set on a table in front of you so you can play with the expression stuff build into the interface.

The main reason I was going to add Guitar Synth in the first place is because as a side thing, me and my best friend, who's a keyboardist/pianist are seriously thinking about putting together a techno/industrial/dance/house/triphop project (that's a mouthful isn't it) and I wanted to be able to easily join in on the synth manipulation, as I generally suck a keyboard.

Plus, I'm the kind of guy that just likes to make noise sometimes, and this would be a great outlet for that.

It would also open some "one-man-band" opportunities as well. :D

Back
Top Bottom