Roland EV5 expression - can't calibrate full range

MrSparkle

I can get 0/minimum with the heel in the calibration mode but it only goes to about 90 with the toe down (instead of 127). Definitely not getting max volume/wah range.

I've ruled out the adjustable knob (I know how to set it). Is my pedal malfunctioning?

Is there a way to "trick" the FX8 and just calibrate it to whatever sweeping range my expression pedal can offer?

I might order another EV5 (with return policy) to rule out whether it's my particular pedal, or all of them.

Hi - mine does that too. I thought it was just the limitation of the pedal. Mine is a cheapy hex pedal. Anyways, I was hoping the new EV2 might have the full range. As I've found so far, it only does what it does.

There is nothing wrong with an expression pedal that does not go from 0-127. The whole point of calibration is to learn the actual range of the pedal. Tolerance in pots cause this and it can be compensated for in the modifier that is affected by your pedal. That's what determines the actual range of the pedal's effect.

Last edited:
I can get 0/minimum with the heel in the calibration mode but it only goes to about 90 with the toe down (instead of 127). Definitely not getting max volume/wah range.

I've ruled out the adjustable knob (I know how to set it). Is my pedal malfunctioning?

Is there a way to "trick" the FX8 and just calibrate it to whatever sweeping range my expression pedal can offer?

I might order another EV5 (with return policy) to rule out whether it's my particular pedal, or all of them.
Do you have the EV-5's adjustment knob set to maximum?

I'm assuming you're going through th FX8's pedal calibration procedure, but you didn't state that explicitly, so make sure you are. :)

Hi - mine does that too. I thought it was just the limitation of the pedal. Mine is a cheapy hex pedal. Anyways, I was hoping the new EV2 might have the full range. As I've found so far, it only does what it does.
Roland makes an EV2?

:wink::wink::wink:
There is nothing wrong with an expression pedal that does not go from 0-127. The whole point of calibration is to learn the actual range of the pedal. Tolerance in pots cause this and it can be compensated for in the modifier that is affected by your pedal. That's what determines the actual range of the pedal's effect.

So to clarify, does the FX8 calibration take this into consideration globally and make "90" the new one "127" for all the presets? Or do I have to manually edit each patches modifier for the smaller range of my expression pedal?

Do you have the EV-5's adjustment knob set to maximum?

I'm assuming you're going through th FX8's pedal calibration procedure, but you didn't state that explicitly, so make sure you are. :)

Yes indeed. The EV-5 knob seems to just affect the minimum starting point of the range, so if it's set wrong, the heel-down position will have plenty of volume.

Back
Top Bottom