Roland 50w Street Cube EX -- 15w FLUB speaker

APE

Inspired
I want to busk. I thought I'd use the AX8 into a 50w Roland Street Cube EX. After inquiring here, I recently purchased the 50w Roland Street Cube EX for about $499 online. Now I'm reevaluating that decision and considering what to do.

The first time I got to turn it up, it sounded thin, and not that loud. I turned it all the way up and heard a crackly flub sound. Did I partially blow a speaker? It wasn't even that loud! I turned it back down halfway but the flub still happened when I picked hard with heavy PM on the low strings.

The AX8 goes into the Cube EX's "Line In" with XLR to 1/4" TRS cables.

Afterwards, I found this video showing that this 50w amp ships with two 15w 8" speakers (Made in CHN; probably $5/pair.)

Should I return the Cube and get something better? And if so, what?

Or, if I shell out another $80 for replacement 20w Jensens will they provide the type of flat response needed by the AX8? And if they do provide the type of flat response needed by the AX8, will they blow when the Cube EX is turned all the way up?

Last edited:
I want to busk. I thought I'd use the AX8 into a 50w Roland Street Cube EX. After inquiring here, I recently purchased the 50w Roland Street Cube EX for about $499 online. Now I'm reevaluating that decision and considering what to do.

The first time I got to turn it up, it sounded thin, and not that loud. I turned it all the way up and heard a crackly flub sound. Did I partially blow a speaker? It wasn't even that loud! I turned it back down halfway but the flub still happened when I picked hard with heavy PM on the low strings.

The AX8 goes into the Cube EX's "Line In" with XLR to 1/4" TRS cables.

Afterwards, I found this video showing that this 50w amp ships with two 15w 8" speakers (Made in CHN; probably $5/pair.)

Should I return the Cube and get something better? And if so, what?

Or, if I shell out another $80 for replacement 20w Jensens will they provide the type of flat response needed by the AX8? And if they do provide the type of flat response needed by the AX8, will they blow when the Cube EX is turned all the way up?

I'm sure you had good reasons to buy the Roland but for under 400US$ maybe the EV ZLX 12p would have been a better choice??? A 12" speaker vs two 8".

Reactions: APE
Roland Cube Street EX has the following features that I need:-

• Mixes all of: (1) Audio Input……………backing track; (2) Line Input……………..AX8; (3) Mic Input………………Microphone
  • Stereo ………………… Nice for things like "Flanger"
  • Portable (hardly at 25lbs)
Other solutions weigh a lot more. For example, the Behringer Europort 500 -- 45lbs.

The EV you mentioned is one speaker, is heavy, and has no mixer.

I need a 3ch PA system that is lightweight, sturdy, reliable, and can handle the AX8 signal input. It's possible to build one under 20lbs with the light, sturdy components. But I can't find anything in that league. Do I have to build it myself?

I removed the Roland Cube Street EX grill.

I see two 15w, made in CHN woofers. That's 30w output capacity.

But Roland claims: "50 big watts of power" (source: https://www.roland.com/us/products/cube_street_ex/)

How can two 15w woofers output 50w for long periods of time so that heat is removed at the same rate it is generated, without temperature building up to the point of damage?

And if it isn't possible, then what are the legal implications for Roland to make such claims?

the requirement that the primary power output specification disclosed in any media advertising be the manufacturer’s rated minimum sine wave continuous average power output, per channel, at an impedance of 8 ohms, or, if the amplifier is not designed for an 8-ohm impedance, at the impedance for which the amplifier is primarily designed.
https://www.ftc.gov/sites/default/f...roducts/001222traderegulationrulerelating.pdf
How can I test the output of the Roland Cube Street EX?

How can two 15W woofers output 50W for long periods of time so that heat is removed at the same rate it is generated, without temperature building up to the point of damage?

Manufacturers give watt ratings in various formats. Here's a link that explains the differences. It is related to car stereos but it still applies. The speakers are rated differently than the amp.

Back
Top Bottom