Rogue one

Stating a different opinion is passive aggressive? Wow. Sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but the simple truth is that I didn't like the movie too much. It is well made, no doubt about that. To each his own.
You didn't state an opinion with your first post. You said you weren't convinced. That's not an opinion, that's a vague argument without ny actual reason. In the above quoted post, that's an opinion. You didn't like the movie.

Just watched it yesterday (haven't got the chance earlier because of flu). First thoughts after leaving the cinema:
1. I've expected much more. EP7 is so much better in every aspect IMHO. Rogue 1 is good, but not as good as I was hoping for.
2. The integration with EP4 is just wroooong. Watch the first Vader/Leia dialog in The New Hope - Vader is clearly saying "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you". There's no transmission to the Leia's Corellian Corvette in the Rogue 1. In the last scene DS plans are personally handed over to Leia already in a form of a disk (or whatever data storage it was). I know, it's a detail... but for someone weaned on SW the devil's in the details ;)

Vader is clearly saying "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you". There's no transmission to the Leia's Corellian Corvette in the Rogue 1.
The corvette came from the larger rebel ship which received the transmission from the surface of the planet. The larger "you" ties the two movies together.

In the last scene DS plans are personally handed over to Leia already in a form of a disk (or whatever data storage it was). I know, it's a detail... but for someone weaned on SW the devil's in the details ;)
Wait. Why does that seem incongruous to you? That's perfectly in line with A New Hope.

The corvette came from the larger rebel ship which received the transmission from the surface of the planet.
Yup, but Vader on EP4 clearly says "transmissions were beamed to THIS ship". They are onboard of the Corvette during this dialogue, so "this" means Vader is talking about Corvette, not the larger ship ;) It's a bit of story misalignment between R1 and EP4 for me ;)

Yeah, I know - I'm oversensitive to this kind of details ;)

Have to kind of agree with kavoo on that. Also, both Leia & Captain Antilles both trying to tell Vader that they are were on a diplomatic mission seems ridiculous now. They were just in a battle together. Vader saw them fly away. Everyone involved knows this, but Leia & Antilles are just like, "We're on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. Wasn't us man." - LOL

Have to kind of agree with kavoo on that. Also, both Leia & Captain Antilles both trying to tell Vader that they are were on a diplomatic mission seems ridiculous now. They were just in a battle together. Vader saw them fly away. Everyone involved knows this, but Leia & Antilles are just like, "We're on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. Wasn't us man." - LOL
I read that to be like when you catch a toddler misbehaving and ask them what they just did and the immediate response is "nothing!!!" To me it helps solidify why Vader is so pissed he kills him right then and there as well

It's clear fans can argue over anything. I might say from the standpoint of Vader that he didn't actually know about the disk, he just knew that *some* information was given over. He could say anything in a confrontation with Leia to that effect of 'sent you, gave you' and it would be accurate. The Princess would say what any good spy would say in her position: "Deny, and counter accuse".

Saw Rogue 2 days ago. Brought the girls.

Outstanding. Great story line, loved (almost) all the characters. They tied up the incongruity between the 'good' Alliance (when the lead shoots and informant early in the movie), and the need to redeem themselves at the end.

I LOVED that they didn't flinch, and killed them off.

The only character I didn't really *get* was Forrest Whitaker's. Maybe they were pressed for time, but I don't think we had enough of that back story....at that cut it just felt like a guy who they needed to throw in there for a bit more star power. Hopefully a director's cut will clear all that up. Loved the Asian duo (one of who incidentally had the best line: "REALLY, I'm blind!") An overly cynical part of me said that this was a clear attempt to pull in the Asian market, but the characters were well acted, well scripted, and central to the tone. Jyn needed a bit more backstory too, we can see she's a badass, but where had she been (outside of Saw's best soldier) to land her in an Empire lockup?

(And can I say I love all these strong female characters as a father of 11 year old twin girls?)

I KNOW I missed a pile of visual references to Episode 4, but I caught quite a few. (And a few that were clearly setups for the next episodes.) There will be more screenings, oh yes.

Honestly, I was really torn about seeing this 'one off' in the Star Wars Universe. I did not like Ep 1-3 (or just didnt' think they were outstanding,) and thought they did a very good job setting up 8-9 with Ep 7. But this had a very good chance of becoming an industry joke if it was not done well, and they did it very well. I can almost see Studio Exec's poring over the old scripts to see if there are other movies they can pull out of them.

On another note, I does make me think tho about where they will go now with the Princess no longer with us (sad!) They've said principal photography has completed on Ep 8, but I dare say it will make a radical change to how it ends.

It's clear fans can argue over anything. I might say from the standpoint of Vader that he didn't actually know about the disk, he just knew that *some* information was given over. He could say anything in a confrontation with Leia to that effect of 'sent you, gave you' and it would be accurate. The Princess would say what any good spy would say in her position: "Deny, and counter accuse".

Saw Rogue 2 days ago. Brought the girls.

Outstanding. Great story line, loved (almost) all the characters. They tied up the incongruity between the 'good' Alliance (when the lead shoots and informant early in the movie), and the need to redeem themselves at the end.

I LOVED that they didn't flinch, and killed them off.

The only character I didn't really *get* was Forrest Whitaker's. Maybe they were pressed for time, but I don't think we had enough of that back story....at that cut it just felt like a guy who they needed to throw in there for a bit more star power. Hopefully a director's cut will clear all that up. Loved the Asian duo (one of who incidentally had the best line: "REALLY, I'm blind!") An overly cynical part of me said that this was a clear attempt to pull in the Asian market, but the characters were well acted, well scripted, and central to the tone. Jyn needed a bit more backstory too, we can see she's a badass, but where had she been (outside of Saw's best soldier) to land her in an Empire lockup?

(And can I say I love all these strong female characters as a father of 11 year old twin girls?)

I KNOW I missed a pile of visual references to Episode 4, but I caught quite a few. (And a few that were clearly setups for the next episodes.) There will be more screenings, oh yes.

Honestly, I was really torn about seeing this 'one off' in the Star Wars Universe. I did not like Ep 1-3 (or just didnt' think they were outstanding,) and thought they did a very good job setting up 8-9 with Ep 7. But this had a very good chance of becoming an industry joke if it was not done well, and they did it very well. I can almost see Studio Exec's poring over the old scripts to see if there are other movies they can pull out of them.

On another note, I does make me think tho about where they will go now with the Princess no longer with us (sad!) They've said principal photography has completed on Ep 8, but I dare say it will make a radical change to how it ends.
On the topic of saw, and jyn ending up in the lockup: there's a LOAD of scenes from the first trailer that didn't make the theatrical cut. Judging from them it suggests a very different story progression (things like jyn saying "I rebel" after being read her list of crimes, a couple lines from saw bring spoken over the scene of them running out into the AT-ACT's, krennik walking on the beach, and jyn confronting the tie fighter on the top level). While I'm curious about the direction the movie would go with this cut, I'm very satisfied with what we got. A directors cut with these scenes would pique my interest though...

Also, both Leia & Captain Antilles both trying to tell Vader that they are were on a diplomatic mission seems ridiculous now. They were just in a battle together. Vader saw them fly away.
Yeah, it's kinda weird... but to be honest no one said that Leia's Corvette was intercepted by Vader right after the battle ;) It may took him months to found and capture them ;) Besides - the last scene shows Corvette entering hyperspace while Vader is watching it from this "larger ship". There's no chance he could pursuit them instantly. So it's not a controversy for me.

I might say from the standpoint of Vader that he didn't actually know about the disk, he just knew that *some* information was given over.
Have you seen R1? At the end of the movie there's a scene showing Vader slaughtering rebels trapped in a corridor with almost closed door. At the end of this scene last trapped rebel warrior passes the disk to another through this door yelling "here, take it!" - right in front of Vader. You really think Vader missed it? ;)

Last edited:
Yeah, it's kinda weird... but to be honest no one said that Leia's Corvette was intercepted by Vader right after the battle ;) It may took him months to found and capture them ;) Besides - the last scene shows Corvette entering hyperspace while Vader is watching it from this "larger ship". There's no chance he could pursue them instantly. So it's not a controversy for me.

Have you seen R1? At the end of the movie there's a scene showing Vader slaughtering rebels trapped in a corridor with almost closed door. At the end of this scene last trapped rebel warrior passes the disk to another through this door yelling "here, take it!" - right in front of Vader. You really think Vader missed it? ;)

If I can just poke a few holes in your logic:

BTW, you are a monument of geekdom! Respect!

Just because I love to tweak 'detail' guys, did Vader actually SEE what was passed? He knew *something* was passed in your argument. Could have been a croissant as far as he knew (to be subsequently placed on the left...no, the RIGHT side of Leia's head. And how would you know there was no immediate pursuit? Walk through the ship (34 second walk), order the Captain to pursue, done. <insert geeky technical reasoning for being able to track them> And for that matter, is that the only version of a Corvette in the Universe? Could be they crank them out like Lego's.

And going on your 'month's' theory, then any manner of communications would have happened, so all arguments about timeline are moot.

Lots of holes here. Try a bit of 'suspend disbelief' and just enjoy the ride.

Could have been a croissant as far as he knew (to be subsequently placed on the left...no, the RIGHT side of Leia's head.
Yeah... and Vader chased them so furiously because he was just bloody hungry :D BTW - it's rather a delicious danish cinnamon swirl, not common croissant... so Vader's appetite for it is even more understandable ;)

52364-12.png

And how would you know there was no immediate pursuit? Walk through the ship (34 second walk), order the Captain to pursue, done.
There's another way - no need to waste precious 34 seconds, all he needed to say was "beam me up, Scotty" ;) Congrats, you nailed the explanation :D

Oh no, wait! At the time of Corvette's departure Vader was on rebel "larger ship", not his star destroyer... there goes your "34 second walk" theory ;) Beaming up becomes now far more probable, don't you think? ;)

Back to being serious - for me it's like covering some famous solo. You can mumble something about it and try to convince everybody it's your interpretation, or you can play it exactly note-for-note as in original. I prefer note-for-note covers, but if you're OK with interpretations - be my guest. Just don't try to persuade me that interpretation is actually more accurate than note-for-note philosophy ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom