AFIII Rode Mic Test for Amp in the Room

Genghis

Power User
I've been testing my Rode camera mic for amp in the room type of sound, and I'm looking for feedback. Just some mindless noodling and starts out kind of mellow with clean patch backed by a synth patch on my SY-300. Kicks in with some gain a bit later. Let me know what you think.

Hey Genghis, I thought between 01-2:07 the proximity of the mic was too set back but at 2:07 whatever you adjusted brought out the guitar much better. Tough call but I liked the sound after 2:07 as far as 'live in a room', but maybe playing with the mic a little might beef up those earlier passages. One other thought is that without any other instruments playing it's too hard to tell how this might mix without additional micing. Can you believe I used to have a Panasonic for voice recording tape player in the 70's and would sit it smack in the middle of everything and record jam sessions and think they were the cats meow. :hearteyecat:

Hey Genghis, I thought between 01-2:07 the proximity of the mic was too set back but at 2:07 whatever you adjusted brought out the guitar much better. Tough call but I liked the sound after 2:07 as far as 'live in a room', but maybe playing with the mic a little might beef up those earlier passages. One other thought is that without any other instruments playing it's too hard to tell how this might mix without additional micing. Can you believe I used to have a Panasonic for voice recording tape player in the 70's and would sit it smack in the middle of everything and record jam sessions and think they were the cats meow. :hearteyecat:
Thanks for the feedback I think any changes you hear are more to do with where I am in relation to the camera and mic. This is one of those Rode mics made for a camera and mounts on top of the camera. When I get between the cab and closer to the mic it changes the reflections in the room a bit.

I have done some recordings of the whole band like this and it's not terrible, but not as good as when I mix the tracks off of my Mackie mixer through my DAW. The next serious rehearsal video we do, I may go ahead and mix this mic signal in with the board tracks and I think it will fill things in nicely.

I need to learn what equipment folks are using these days to do their videos. They are achieving very good sound quality as well. Once, a few years ago, I made a video and ran the audio thru the mixer and fed directly back into the camera mic input. This seemed to produce decent audio (not quite broadcast) but the rendering and upload took forever. At the time it kind of turned me off to making videos. What kind of camera do you use and how long does uploading take for you?

Back
Top Bottom