Rocktron Velocity as a poweramp?

stm113

Power User
Ok, before posting this I fully know that I am likely to get flooded with posts of how the Matrix is the go to power amp. I do not nor will not be able to afford a Matrix anytime soon, the Rocktron Velocity falls more into my price range.

I am currently using the power section of my 5150 head which works great and cuts through the mix well. I want something that will have that good feel but maybe a little less of the coloration of the 6L6's (which sounds great on my main tones but messes with my Marshall/Brit tones).

All of that said whats any experiences that anyone could share about using the Velocity in a 4x12 cab set up?

New Velocity 300 is kind of weak to my ears..I had it only one day and sold it..I guess old 2U Velocity 250 (which I still keep just in case) or old V300 are much punchier and sweeps new V300 out of the table ..
I'm not sure that any SS power amp will sound better then your 5150 Amp power section..I like my Matrix a lot,but sometimes I prefer tube VHT 2502 which i also own..It depends on situation,mood etc..

I didn't like my V300 with my Ultra at all. The old ones broke down a lot.

I didn't like my V300 with my Ultra at all. The old ones broke down a lot.
New V300 1U is totally crappy for me..sounds like a toy..Old one V250 broke down ones on me ,when I made some stupid mistake with cables..(some scratchy pots..yes ..) Otherwise seems to be quite solid for the price :)

I had three V300s.

The one I was using, the spare and the one in for repair. Each was fixed at least once per year over a decade. Eventually parts became impossible so I cobbled two into one twice and today I junked my last one.

I'll have to disagree with most replys to this question as I quite like running my axe-fx II into the newer 1U Rocktron Velocity 300 model. I wouldn't take advice from people that kept their unit for one (1!!!) day for ANY kind of gear, but I can't say anything about the reliability issues some have been experiencing. Mine's been working fine for now and that's good enough for me. At least they're cheap to replace :)

The "Reactance" and "Definition" controls are very good, giving a very usable range of adjusting the low and high content of your guitar sound. They function a lot like "Resonance" and "Presence" controls on your 5150 poweramp. If you're running a 4x12 mono, you should at least give the velocity 300 a try.

The trick to a good sound when running mono is to use the bridged 300W mode, and also turn the input sensitivity (=volume knob) up and use the Axe output level for your level control.

If you're not happy with the result you can always sell it forward with minimal losses and consider the matrix poweramp... I haven't yet felt the need to get a matrix to replace my Velocity

Last edited:
Only good things to say about the 1U V300 here as well. I've gigged it a few times, with the 11R, ultra and axe2. Very solid unit. The only downside-heavy as cop with a 6 dozen a day donut habit. Because of that-it sits at home with the GSP, but it sounds fine. I did manage to blow a fuse at some point by not having a load plugged in...or something like that. It's been a long time, but I did have to swap a fuse at one point. Been well over a year-and that is it for issues.

I've also used the EHX mag44, a light and very cool pedal sized alternative that will save your back. I like that more than the powerblock.

Currently using the matrix1K/axe2. The GSP/V300 is my practice/backup rig.
Sold the KPA/EHX rig to fund yet another guitar I probably really dont need.

I've got a v300 I use as a backup. I've had no trouble with it but I prefer the sound of my Fryette 2/50/2 or QSC K12's much more.

i had an art sla, moved over to a v300 and finally arrived at a matrix. the v300 is a nice amp for the price, but as you could imagine, the matrix sounds better :).

I have had a Atomic MB-50 ART SLA 2, Carvin DCM-200l and the Matrix GT8000

The Matrix my favorite and my Carvin a close 2nd
However if I was ever to switch back to Carvin I would get one of the big brothers like the 1540L more wattage for the extra headroom but that is about it

John

Back
Top Bottom