Rocktron Velocity 300 opinions

tefferet

Hiya, I've done a lot of lurking and a lot of digging through old threads trying to find out as much as I can about this PA (the 1u version) but I haven't really gotten a definitive answer. Some say it sounds great but others say it has a really compressed sound, which is something I'm really, really against.

I'm looking for a solid state PA for my Axe-FX 2 around the Velocity 300's price range or cheaper. Honestly, I actually quite like a little bit of colouring from the PA and because the Rocktron has some EQ control with the reactance/definition knobs, I figure that I'll always be able to get an acceptable sound out of it if I dial it in accordingly. I've been running my rig through the power section of a Fender DeVille up until now, I love the tube tone for some applications but I need something portable and versatile that can "clean up" if I want it to.

I'd really appreciate it if some owners/previous owners could tell me about their experiences with this amp - What kind of effect do the reactance/definition knobs have? How neutral does it sound with both of them dialed out completely? Does it sound quite compressed as some people have been saying?

Thankyou in advance!

Don't let my opinion sway you but I absolutely hated that amp and returned it within an hour of playing it. Sounded like running thru a BOSS Metal Zone pedal. Scooped and lifeless. Maybe others have had more luck but could not stand it myself.

I used the original 2 space V300s for a decade. It required owning three. The one in use, the spare and the one in the shop.

Don't let my opinion sway you but I absolutely hated that amp and returned it within an hour of playing it. Sounded like running thru a BOSS Metal Zone pedal. Scooped and lifeless. Maybe others have had more luck but could not stand it myself.

+1
I have been impressed with most Rocktron products, and have owned a few. On the other hand, the Velocity 300 was a let down. I tried for about a week to get a good sound with it, and then returned it. It did sound very compressed, with no headroom, probably just too low powered for my setup. The Carvin DCM1540L is a great amp, I have one now and am very happy with it. It's 2u, not 1u if you're stuck on that.

Last edited:
Had it for about 2 hours. In those 2 hours it sounded ok, then it broke down and I returned it and got the Matrix GT1000 instead which sounds awesome.

Had one for a couple months, which I played through a Marshall 1960. Was never able to get a sound I was happy with. Switched to 2 QSC K 12s and life is good.

I've had no problem working with Velocity 300 and a Mesa Stiletto 2x12. It's at least ok for home use. Haven't had any opportunity to crank it yet, but I've had it for about 6months and been playing through it daily. I've routed it so that the velocity is fed a signal without cab block from out2 of the axe, while the out 1 with cab emulation is going straight into my computer for recording.

The Reactance knob is useful for getting that low end thunk from the cab, like doing heavy palm muting and the cab giving the satisfying thunk. Definition is like a presence control, having most prominence in the crucial 4Khz area that can make your ears bleed. It's very useful for compensating, if you've created a patch with impulses and FOH in mind and it just seems to be a bit too brittle or too dark for the PA+cab. Both knobs at 5 is a nice starting point.

So many negative reviews here just makes me wonder. Have these people tried to run a FRFR with this setup or a regular guitar cab. It's really NOT designed for FRFR use but again, seems to work fine with my 2x12 guitar cab. I'll say give it at least a try before going for the matrix IF you're running into a guitar cab.

I've had no problem working with Velocity 300 and a Mesa Stiletto 2x12. It's at least ok for home use. Haven't had any opportunity to crank it yet, but I've had it for about 6months and been playing through it daily. I've routed it so that the velocity is fed a signal without cab block from out2 of the axe, while the out 1 with cab emulation is going straight into my computer for recording.

The Reactance knob is useful for getting that low end thunk from the cab, like doing heavy palm muting and the cab giving the satisfying thunk. Definition is like a presence control, having most prominence in the crucial 4Khz area that can make your ears bleed. It's very useful for compensating, if you've created a patch with impulses and FOH in mind and it just seems to be a bit too brittle or too dark for the PA+cab. Both knobs at 5 is a nice starting point.

So many negative reviews here just makes me wonder. Have these people tried to run a FRFR with this setup or a regular guitar cab. It's really NOT designed for FRFR use but again, seems to work fine with my 2x12 guitar cab. I'll say give it at least a try before going for the matrix IF you're running into a guitar cab.

I was running mine through guitar cabs in stereo.

does the matrix 1000 sound better than the gt800? had the 800 ran it thru a bogner oversize 2x12 also tried a ev 112p sounded like a hafler g150 i had in the 90`s steril ..i was using a bogner xtc before

Back
Top Bottom