Rocktron Midi Raider vs. GCP?

theronius

Anyone have any thoughts on the Rocktron Midi Raider? I've heard it's basically an All Access repackaged into a more affordable housing.

Rocktron - Midi Raider

I've been an FCB user for a couple of years now, and thinking about upgrading to the GCP with a couple of Mission expression pedals (still not ready to take the leap to the MFC - just don't have the $ right now) and then I came across the Midi Raider. Just curious if anyone has any thoughts on the pros and cons of the GCP vs. the Midi Raider. They'd both be in my price range at this point, assuming I can grab a GCP off eBay for something in the $300 range...

(I'm a recent Axe II convert, by the way, after loving my Ultra for a long time...)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I am very intersted. I cannot afford (right now) the $750++ for any of the others. I have been looking at the GCP for a while . I have a Midimate-very limited. But i am only in a Studio. Still, thsi new one looks and reads nice. Wonder if there will be an editor? like in the GCP?
EDIT: I may just go with the GCP because of the editor. I loaded it u[p Win7x64 and it is simple but very easy to use. Hmmmm????

Last edited:
Wondering about the power supply...

Definitely would be nice if there was an editor, agreed!

I'm also wondering about the power supply issue- looks like it comes with an AC supply... but it'd be really nice if it could be powered via a 7-pin midi cable, so you don't have to run the extra wall wart out on the floor with a messy extension cord... that alone would tip me towards the GCP. Can't find the manual online, could be me being lame, but it doesn't look like the Rocktron site is updated with the Midi Raider manual... I'll shoot them an email and see what I can learn...

I emailed support:On the Website it says the manuals there in support, but it isn't. Have not gotten an answer yet

OK, here's the scoop...

Got the scoop from Rocktron, via Jim Chowning of GHS Strings. He sent an email to me today with the following note:

"It can be run on a 7 pin midi cable with the Midi Raider adaptor plugged
into the Fractal's phantom power jack. See the attachment for the
manual."

I uploaded the manual here:

files.me.com/theronius/lcps4r

Looks pretty darn good to me!

Any thoughts on whether this or the GCP is the better bet? I'm torn... the GCP is a known quantity to some extent... decisions decisions....

If the Midi Raider comes in near the same price as the GCP then I think the Midi Raider is the best bet by far! The Midi Raider is basically the All Access rehoused. The All Access was a great controller with an excellent feature set, so this isn't an unknown entity. The GCP was alone in the market place in that price range for a long time and it's a fine controller, but it doesn't have anywhere near the features. If the price is even close to the same I would take the Midi Raider any day.

Got the scoop from Rocktron, via Jim Chowning of GHS Strings. He sent an email to me today with the following note:

"It can be run on a 7 pin midi cable with the Midi Raider adaptor plugged
into the Fractal's phantom power jack. See the attachment for the
manual."

I uploaded the manual here:

files.me.com/theronius/lcps4r

Looks pretty darn good to me!

Any thoughts on whether this or the GCP is the better bet? I'm torn... the GCP is a known quantity to some extent... decisions decisions....

Jim emailed me the manual-I was going to send it to you :)

Jim emailed me the manual-I was going to send it to you :)

Thanks!! Jim also sent me a follow up email that said:

"It is an All Access you can change the EPROM’s from one to the other."

I think I'm pretty well sold at this point... now the only question is whether I go with my original thought of Mission expression pedals or check out the Utopias. Gonna read up on those now...

If they are the same price then the GCP is done. Voodoo Labs had better get to work on updating the GCP because they just got blown out of the water.

Ive had a GCP and a GCX from before I got my Axe II and this thing does seem to be better. Im still gonna hold off on getting a new unit until i can afford an MFC =)

Well, just ordered the Midi Raider. I installed the editor for GCP. It's pretty basic and not much better than sysex. I want a real editor but anything I can afford doesn't have one. So as long as I can make backups thru midi easy enuff I'm OK. I really am tired of the 5IA limit in my midimate. I'll keep it as a backup. I mean I am only recording not playing out. My tax refund bought this anyway.
I'll let you guys know how I like it and why or why not.

I just ordered it, too from Ebay MacDaddy411 had "Make Offer". I put in 389 and it was accepted with free shipping. Next person should try a lower offer and see if it takes.

OK-I'm sitting here with the Midi Raider. Very solid-switches seem real solid and strong.LCD very clear. The phantom power works well, although I am in a studio and really don't need it. I have opted for the 5 presets/24 banks and 10 IA. Some things are new to me since I have never had a real midi foot controller besides the basic 5 or 10 buttons old type and now the midimate for a year or so. I have much to learn.
OK-Back to work\play

Thought I had a problem but was easy to fix. X/Y amp choice. On value=127, off value=0. X is my first amp channel and Y is my second, usually a more aggressive amp or just higher gain, etc. on the same amp. Just switched the on value for IA15 button (IA#10) to O and the off value to 127-Hurray, Selecting Y amp light goers on-cool, This thing is very easy to program even for me. Although I will not be doing all the song mode, program changes(besides regular preset changes) 36 midi commands per preset-uh not me at all. But great for most folks I guess. So far it's athumbs up.
Sidenote: If I could afford the MFC I would have it-but in the studio this is all I need. Of course, down the road-I may have both-Shh she'll here you :)

I have never used the X\Y for anything but the amps. I am guessing there is a way to do that with this thing and still have the 10 IA's. Later

I just took the plunge too- bought on eBay from tunnelvisionmusic. They had the "Make An Offer" deal going, so I put in $359, figuring I'd start lower and see what happened. They countered with $369, so that's what I ended up buying it for.

Can't wait to get it now- the FCB has been great, but with one expression pedal toast, it's probably only a matter of time before it all goes... I'm really looking forward to more IA switches too, 5 is a little limiting sometimes.

Also have a Rocktron Utopia EP on the way, hopefully I'll like it, then I'll add another. Otherwise I'll probably give the Mission pedals a whirl.

I'll keep y'all posted, thanks for all the feedback and discussion so far!

Tuner display???

Thanks for the tip on this MIDI Raider- looks like a great mid-level controller for those of us who are graduating from the FCB, but not ready for the MFC. SO- can it display the tuner? if not, does anyone know if it is possible with a firmware update?
Thanks-

i was thinking about just getting the mfc because it had more buttons than the gcp (i need to have access to tons of effects inorder to replace my pedal board with a midi controller). but sense for some reason all the used mfc are selling for 700 (50 bucks less than the new price?) then im definitely getting a new midi raider for 300 bucks less.

Back
Top Bottom