Rocktron Midi Raider Bank of 5 mode kills output of AXE anyone else confirm?

finny47

I was trying to change my midi raider from the default of bank of 15 preset to bank by 5 and use the 6-15 switches for control of the effects.
I only go as far as switch the mode to bank by 5 and when I flip presets (such press button 1 then 2)using the midi mate it is as if the AXE went in bypass mode.
Bypass mode button on the AXE-FX II blinks, Edited yellow light comes on.
I turn off bypass and no sound.
I tried to use Axe Edit to see if anything obvious was going on and nothing that I can tell.
Must be some sort of global setting since it affects all the presets, but a setting that does store in memory since a reboot of the AXE gets the sound back??

I'm not an expert at MIDI, but is there an application I can use on my PC to see the difference in the codes the midi mate sends between default mode and mode Bank by 5 or Bank by 10?

Anyone else with a midi raider running 5.07 can you test and see if you get the same issue?

More info- I went into I/O CTRL and when I set input vol thru bypass to NONE, the midi raider stop killing the sound.
Does that give anyone a clue as to what the midi raider is doing?
It seems like PC1 on Ch1 which only shows PC1 for output on the midi raider is doing more than sending that single control to change presets.

Last edited:
More info- I went into I/O CTRL of my AXE FX preamp and when I set input vol thru bypass to NONE (instead of 10-13), the midi raider stop killing the sound and putting it in bypass mode (PC 13).
Does that give anyone a clue as to what the midi raider is doing?
It seems like PC1 on Ch1 which only shows PC1 for output on the midi raider is doing more than sending that single control to change presets.

While in bank mode 5 or 10, I also did the LEARN function with the AXE for CTRL using input vol. Everytime I hit a preset button 1-5, 15 was the value.

Check the settings for IA switches 6-15. They probably have CC# assignments by default, and status (saved state) of all IA switches is sent at preset change.

Or you could use the Axe-FX "learn" feature to determine each switch's CC# and work from there, setting items in the I/O menu to match the Raider CC#s.

What Bakerman said. I had this issue with my All Access and my number 9 IA switch. It was the same CC# as input volume on the Axe so it was sending a 0 value on CC#9 when a preset was selected. I just changed the CC# on the Axe so now my 9 switch is my Amp X/Y.

Strange that Rocktron does not have the manual for this product online.

I would use MIDI OX to monitor the midi messages sent by the footcontroller.

I don't have that particular problem. I use Bank mode 5 and 10 IA's and that works great. But..................................similar is the fact that when I try to use my Bos FV500-H in pedal one for output volume CC#11 it does just what you say-bypasses the axe? Bypass is CC#13, not 11. Kind of a bummer for me because I use the 1 ext on the AxeFXII for my Drive 1 peadals globally and I like it like that. Jim at Rocktron sauid my issue is the Boss?
Anyway-interesting thread, I need to subscribe.
Other than that I like it fine. Built like a Tank and Jim Chowning at Rocktron is right there with FAS as far as customer service. Since my midimate 2 years or so ago he answersa quick and often. Great Tech support.

Hi Bakerman
I have checked all of mine and they are fine. I changed all 10 IA's to match the CC# in the AxeII, like chorus bypass=CC#41, Compressor 1+CC#43, etc, etc. I figure that way the controller settings in the axe are correct by default for the 10ia's I use. Still cannot get my Boss FV500-H to work. If I reverse the polarity it sends a signal but the volume jumps all ove. Rocktron said it's my pedal?
Love the Midi Raider so far but this pedal stuff is somewhat disconcerting

EDIT: Scratch this-It was user error, not sure what I did to make the controll store button stay on the 1st time but I have it right now-so it works as it should. Now, how to undo the one I messed up-Hopefully just reset preset should do it.

Anyone tried to STORE IA state? When I store the IA state in a preset it stores it, but if I select another preset and go back to the one where I set the state of an IA the state is rememberd but the control store button stays activated so no volume because you are now in edit mode.
This is getting a bit frustrating.

Last edited:
Jim responded this morning. I hope I'm reiterating this correctly. When I Bank mode 5, the "CC#5, 6, 7 ,8, 9,10, 11, 12, 13, 14,and CC#15 all with a value of 0. So ten more commands are being sent."

Using AXE Learning feature, it only shows the final value of 15 each time.
I'm not in front of my AXE right now, but I recall Tuner, Bypass, input and output volume are by default in that range. I set the values to none on the CTRL tab of the AXE for those entries in that range and now it doesn't cause problems. I'll have to map tuner or bypass to something else outside of that range.

I'm having a weird issue with my Midi Raider. Every 3rd or 4th power up, it goes back to Banks of 15, and Current settings. I have it set to Banks of 5, and the Current Preset set to Off. My CC info is still there, just the Bank size and behavior reverts back to default.
It didn't do this with my Ultra, but now I'm using phantom power with the Axe2. Thats the only change.

Hi finny47,
I am a musician too, and I contact you in order to have if it is possible your advice.
Did you have any problem with your midi raider rocktron because I purchased one and actually the switches got blocked. Althought I am very cautious. So I had to unblock them very softly. Now the fact is that I have the up button blocked. My dealer is replace it for a new device.
Question 1 :
Did you have any switches issues with the midi raider ? Is your midi raider working well ?

Question 2 :
Are you satisfied with your midi raider ?

Question 3 :
If you don't use a 7-pin midi cable to connect a midi device does it work ?
In other words, apart from getting power from another device is the 7-pin midi cable needed if we get the power from the ac power of the midi raider and that we use only 5-pin midi cable ?

Question 4 :
Which midi foot controller would you advise me to be the best at the same level than the "all access" ? Since the all access is able to send 36 simultaneous midi program changes per preset and 36 simultaneous midi cc continuous control commands per preset.
Thanks for your help
Have a good day

I'm having a weird issue with my Midi Raider. Every 3rd or 4th power up, it goes back to Banks of 15, and Current settings. I have it set to Banks of 5, and the Current Preset set to Off. My CC info is still there, just the Bank size and behavior reverts back to default.
It didn't do this with my Ultra, but now I'm using phantom power with the Axe2. Thats the only change.

I had the same exact issue.

On top of that, I've had two instances where it started scrolling automatically through all my patches in rapid-fire order. Couldn't get it to stop, even after repeatedly plugging and unplugging everything, so I had to play two gigs with no foot controller. (It acted normally at home, and I did a couple of gigs in between without issue. Thought maybe the first time I was having "dirty power" issues where I was playing, even though I'm using a rack conditioner.)

I'm powering it through the Axe II with phantom power too. Haven't tried it without, but one of the reasons I bought it was so I COULD do that and not have a wall wart sitting on stage.

Anyone else have this happen? I wrote Rocktron this morning about it, will let you know what they say.

Hi finny47,
I am a musician too, and I contact you in order to have if it is possible your advice.
Did you have any problem with your midi raider rocktron because I purchased one and actually the switches got blocked. Althought I am very cautious. So I had to unblock them very softly. Now the fact is that I have the up button blocked. My dealer is replace it for a new device.
Question 1 :
Did you have any switches issues with the midi raider ? Is your midi raider working well ?

Question 2 :
Are you satisfied with your midi raider ?

Question 3 :
If you don't use a 7-pin midi cable to connect a midi device does it work ?
In other words, apart from getting power from another device is the 7-pin midi cable needed if we get the power from the ac power of the midi raider and that we use only 5-pin midi cable ?

Question 4 :
Which midi foot controller would you advise me to be the best at the same level than the "all access" ? Since the all access is able to send 36 simultaneous midi program changes per preset and 36 simultaneous midi cc continuous control commands per preset.
Thanks for your help
Have a good day

Singasong, I've been generally happy with it, when it works (see my post above). It's a cool unit- I did have an issue with one switch, which I had replaced under warranty.

At one point, I used a 5-pin midi cable with it and it was fine, I just couldn't do the phantom power trick with it.

Don't have any comments on your fourth question, sorry.

I think the ultimate answer is to get an MFC and use the Raider for backup, but I don't have the cash right now. :) I'm really hoping my unit is just buggy and can be fixed, because it's awesome when it's working properly.

I was trying to change my midi raider from the default of bank of 15 preset to bank by 5 and use the 6-15 switches for control of the effects.
I only go as far as switch the mode to bank by 5 and when I flip presets (such press button 1 then 2)using the midi mate it is as if the AXE went in bypass mode.
Bypass mode button on the AXE-FX II blinks, Edited yellow light comes on.
I turn off bypass and no sound.
I tried to use Axe Edit to see if anything obvious was going on and nothing that I can tell.
Must be some sort of global setting since it affects all the presets, but a setting that does store in memory since a reboot of the AXE gets the sound back??

I'm not an expert at MIDI, but is there an application I can use on my PC to see the difference in the codes the midi mate sends between default mode and mode Bank by 5 or Bank by 10?

Anyone else with a midi raider running 5.07 can you test and see if you get the same issue?
Hi, I am new here and I was wondering if someone else experienced the same issue.
I have an Axe Fx II XL+ which is in loop at my Rocktron Patchmate. Once I try to swich my presets via Midi it switches but no signal. What is you latest advice? Thank you

Back
Top Bottom