Rocksmith for practicing?

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
Can anyone recommend this software? I've seen it several times in game stores already and always thought "well... who needs this crap?", but now, after realizing how much my motivation for constant daily guitar practice (that I desperately need) has dropped, I'm not as sure anymore.

Does anyone use it? Obviously, I'll use a splitter to get Fractal goodness out of it ... ain't nobody got time for software tonez.
But how is the software in terms of material and ... well ... skinner box motivation? I'm a gamer at heart. I like to see visualized progress. Can the game do good to motivate me practicing more? How does it help with practicing (f.ex. in comparison to Guitar Pro 5)?

It's a shit ton of fun, and surprisingly accurate at recognizing errors. It's worth the small chunk of cash. And, who cares about the tones being world class just have fun! :)

After reading some reviews, it seems that the new 2014 edition comes with a pretty sophisticated session mode... that's kind of like a dynamic customizable backing track. That's actually kind of cool. I think I'll have myself a perfect christmas present.

The problem i had with it was the latency. The setup that i tried it at was the usb into a xbox360 - hdmi to tv and it was around 20ms delayed id unexpertly say. It was just enough that if you had to play anything remotely quick, it made you feel stupid becuase of the latency. Ive heard connecting your system directly to a sound system via optical/hdmi receiver, but thats not always available for some people. Ive been putting off getting it just because i dont want to drop the cash and get annoyed by the latency.

Heard the PC version works great.

The problem i had with it was the latency. The setup that i tried it at was the usb into a xbox360 - hdmi to tv and it was around 20ms delayed id unexpertly say. It was just enough that if you had to play anything remotely quick, it made you feel stupid becuase of the latency. Ive heard connecting your system directly to a sound system via optical/hdmi receiver, but thats not always available for some people. Ive been putting off getting it just because i dont want to drop the cash and get annoyed by the latency.

Heard the PC version works great.
Did you use the original or the 2014 version? I heard from several sources that latency is much better in 2014 version. Also, HDMI introduces latency. I'm glad my sound system is analog for that matter.

2014 rock smith windows 8 works pretty well I like the session mode tones aren't bad to play not a big fan of the tab sliding at you thing in song mode but is good to learn basics for beginners the games are fun when friends come over. does freeze up some times though but may be my pc.

I have the original version connected to my pc. I have no latency issues at all. As stated above, it has to do with hdmi to tv big screens. The 2014 update (among other
things) addressed improving the learning curve by improving the way the notes streamed on the screen. I was very tempted to buy this upgrade but decided not because
(1) the songs they sell are not to my genre (blues) and (2) I have enough Truefire and Griff Hamlin stuff to last me to the end of my days. But if you're looking for
endorsements, then I'd say go 'head. It's a fun program and what I consider to be a very good learning venue. Youtube is full of Rocksmith demos that are pretty amazing.

I'm playing both on ps3 with no latency thanks to the dual outputs.
It's real fun, even more with my girlfriend with her bass.
The only thing i would recommend is to really count the number of songs (base+expensive dlc) you really wish to play.
I wish a game like this but with tabs exist, would be so great !

Didn't work on my PC at all (though the PC did meet requirements). Tech support blew. And they wouldn't refund my money and I STILL bought it for Playstation (or was it Xbox - I dunno, I bought it for this game alone, I'm not a gamer). Latency is not an issue if you use the analog outputs from your gaming machine instead of HDMI (as they explicitly recommend). I've only putzed with it, been intending to get into it, but for a person like me who learns visually, I think it'll be good to learn some leads, gain insight on how the players I am interested in though about constructing a lead, and to jam with the session mode. Wish to god they had some more songs though: no Frank Zappa leads, etc. - all pretty 'normal' and 'accessible' stuff. I'd like more real blues (Lightning Slim etc.), Zappa, more Hendrix too.

Didn't work on my PC at all (though the PC did meet requirements). Tech support blew. And they wouldn't refund my money and I STILL bought it for Playstation (or was it Xbox - I dunno, I bought it for this game alone, I'm not a gamer). Latency is not an issue if you use the analog outputs from your gaming machine instead of HDMI (as they explicitly recommend). I've only putzed with it, been intending to get into it, but for a person like me who learns visually, I think it'll be good to learn some leads, gain insight on how the players I am interested in though about constructing a lead, and to jam with the session mode. Wish to god they had some more songs though: no Frank Zappa leads, etc. - all pretty 'normal' and 'accessible' stuff. I'd like more real blues (Lightning Slim etc.), Zappa, more Hendrix too.
I think they offer a lot of additional songs as DLC. I invested so much money into musical equipment that I don't really mind spending some more dollars on songs here and there as long as this game helps me find more motivation to practice.

The 2014 version is the way to go. I had my doubts about it, but after reading the reviews, I had to try it. It recognizes errors very well and is fun to play.

By default, it tries to 'teach' you songs by slowly adding notes, but that drives me crazy, and I don't think is an effective method. Luckily, you can just set the song to the hardest level (all the notes), and slow it down to where you can figure it out, then speed it up as you get better.

It's awesome! Absolutely a great way to learn guitar.

I've finally been able to find time to play again after a busy start of the new year.

And I tried Rocksmith enough now to give a minor review on it.

First, I'm more than happy to say that it actually lives up to my expectations and imho is worth the money. Does it have flaws? Yes. But it's still a valuable investment for mid-level guitarists.

So, what did I like?
- Riff repeater when pressing spacebar is well executed; I like the settings for automatic increase of difficulty and speed if you nailed the passage
- Session mode works incredibly well ... and while it might not be the ultimate tool to generate ideas for new songs, it's still a cool and fun feature if you want to try out some quick & dirty chord progressions or solos; the virtual drummer was a real positive surprise for me! I love how it not only adapts to your playing dynamics, but also actually changes rhythm depending on what you play. Chugging those eights? He starts to pump that basedrum. Playing Triplets or off-beats? The rhythm adapts. The only thing that imho is somewhat missing is the option to "invert" or "hold" the dynamic adjustment of additional instruments. For example, the pad or piano actually getting louder or continueing if I stop playing.
- "Learn a Song" mode is very motivating by guiding you through the sections and adjusting the difficulty depending on your last performance
- the tracking is surprisingly accurate; even on complex chords ... though there's the occasional false positive (as in: you play wrong, but the game doesn't notice). I haven't had a false negative yet, except maybe for slides and bendings (which doesn't matter really, as the game never forces the tracking results on you, except in score attack and arcade mode)
- It's highly addicting. More than just once I just noticed it was 2 AM in the morning when I intended to go to bed at 11. It's been long since I had so much fun practicing
- no noticable audio delay at all (PC version) ... I gotta say this is a real pleasant surprise!

What should be improved for the next iteration of the game:
- The interface and style could look a bit more mature ... while that arcade-esque style fits entertainment games like Guitar Hero, I think it doesn't do the educational value of the game justice. It sometimes makes you feel emberassed for playing it.
- The note highway is an unusual concept for displaying the notes. They should definitely implement an optional more traditional tab scrolling mode in the next version (like Guitar Pro). It took me way too long to get used to it (I mean, damn, it took me 3 full days alone to internalize the different colors for the strings) and let's be honest: there's no real reason for the note highway anyway.
- The Arcade mode is pretty much useless. I mean; I like the idea behind it, but the games I have played yet lacked a clear musical value. For example, I played a game that is meant for practicing scales, but I simply could not figure out how to play it as intended.
- The lessons are only average. I only did a couple of them yet, but it felt like there are way better lessons to be found on all the topics for free on the web. Then again, the game is only 20 bucks without cable, so I didn't have any big expectations here. On the bright side; the note tracking serves as a reminder for you not to practice at a speed that you can not handle yet, which is always good for people that don't have the required patience for practice.
- The song repertoire for the 2014 version is only decent (but still definitely worth the money) ... but that's a matter of taste, really, and there's always new songs as DLC
- The "rookie lessons" imho are a waste of space. It is not recommended to learn guitar through this game alone as it doesn't watch your technique.
- there is a somewhat noticable "visible latency" in the note highway; maybe it's just me, but it seems that the audio is a little ahead of the graphical representation ... which is not that big of an issue, as the only thing that really matters is the audio, but I think it's worth mentioning

Can I recommend the game?
For low to mid level guitarists: Definitely, yes! Seasoned or professional guitarists probably won't want to deal with the note highway concept. But then again, the game is only 20 bucks if you already have the cable and the game is already worth it for session mode alone!

EDIT: Just a recommendation for anyone reading this and probably thinking about getting the game: there's an "invert" option for the string displayal on the bottom of the screen. Flip it! For some reason, the default displays the notes on the fretboard in upside-down order (compared to what you are used when reading tabs), which means the high E is on the bottom line and the low E is on the top. I feel that this is very confusing at first as you are used to seeing the opposite.

Last edited:
Did you use the original or the 2014 version? I heard from several sources that latency is much better in 2014 version. Also, HDMI introduces latency. I'm glad my sound system is analog for that matter.

Recently got the 2014 version for xbox one. The latency is unreal. Its around .5s. Unlike the 360/ps3, i cant send just analog audio. I currently use an optical cable to my soundbar and its not any better. I tried it on my PC and it works great....so avoid the console versions unless by the sheer chance of luck, you have a sound system that works well.

Back
Top Bottom